Finding nickels....

AirborneDave

Forum Supporter
Is it just me, or does it seem that nickels are a rare find with an MD? I run an AT Pro, and have pulled several pennies, dimes and quarters, but have only dug 3 nickels.

Is there something statistically that accounts for this? Maybe where they fall in the VDI range, perhaps they are mistaken for trash more often than other coins?

Does anyone else notice the same trend?

I don't have any problems finding nickels but I keep my discrimination just high enough to knock out small nails. I find less nickels as a rule, I don't believe that they are as common as the other coins. Nickels and some jewelry items will be missed if you only dig nickel readings on the display as they can come in at about anything on the meter.

I get alot less nickles too. Many times for me it's a tab. I did get one today and was surprised. Not sure why pennies and dimes seem to more often for me

The main reason nickels show up a lot less is because they show up in the pull tab range, and because most people don't want to dig up a lot of pull tabs they miss nickels.

The main reason nickels show up a lot less is because they show up in the pull tab range, and because most people don't want to dig up a lot of pull tabs they miss nickels.

You might be right, but I dig everything, so I still can't answer why I don't get many nickels

With the Etrac the nickel is usually always 12-13 and spot on where I dig....I find one or two each hunt but not like the dimes....those are everywhere.

I dig everything though, and only discriminate up to the 10 range on the Pro. I'm pretty sure I've dug every pull tab I've ever swept across :lol:

When I was working a cash register I noticed you don't use nickels to make change anywhere near as often as the other coins. Between dimes, pennies and quarters you can make most combinations of change. In fact I don't remember ever opening the spare roll of nickels in the drawer.

I dig them all the time with my pro. But,not as much as the others. Most of the time they ring right at 51-53.

Google should have a answer for this, lol,I can find anything there. But really from all of my clad and tabs, the tabs win over nickles

When I was working a cash register I noticed you don't use nickels to make change anywhere near as often as the other coins. Between dimes, pennies and quarters you can make most combinations of change. In fact I don't remember ever opening the spare roll of nickels in the drawer.

Now that you mention it, I think that I rarely get nickles back in change.

I'm going to test this theory: I have a 5 gallon water container from a water cooler that I throw all of my change in at the end of every day. It's about half full now. I'm going to dump it all and sort/count it and see how common a nickel is compared to the other coins. Perhaps this could be useful statistic information. Less nickles in change back could also result in less nickels lost from pockets......

Now that you mention it, I think that I rarely get nickles back in change.

I'm going to test this theory: I have a 5 gallon water container from a water cooler that I throw all of my change in at the end of every day. It's about half full now. I'm going to dump it all and sort/count it and see how common a nickel is compared to the other coins. Perhaps this could be useful statistic information. Less nickles in change back could also result in less nickels lost from pockets......

Be sure to post what you find! I'd love to see the results.

I think you hit the nail on the head. We don't use nickels as much as other coins

Back
Top Bottom