Back for something new

Tajue17

Ive been away for a bit im thinking about getting back into metal detecting,, i was an old die hard beep and dig fan and i do still have most of those machines. Im thinking about getting something new though, a machine that has the best factory settings ( because i wont have time to tinker this time around) im asking you guys who is the best dealer now who has posted prices on their website ( dont have the time to kep emailing asking for prices so not interested in those guys,,,,, 2nd what machine is the best for someone who wants to turn it on and go and not have to mess with anything...hopefully they still have a input for my favorite rattler earphones ( or earphone ha ha) thanks everyone for any info.

Thank you for posting, I figured by the little i read lately it was that or another machine called the legend.

Thank you for posting, I figured by the little i read lately it was that or another machine called the legend.

Equinox and legend are both great detectors. I have not had the pleasure to use a legend yet though. I would seriously consider the nokta/makro simplex or a minelab vanquish. If your hunting near saltwater the vanquish would probably be the better choice. Good luck out there, always enjoyed my trips to Plymouth, though I have not tried hunting there before.

The Legend has great factory programs that allows you to just turn it on and detect if that's what you want to do or it has settings that can be tweaked to what ever you want pretty much, it is the detector I would suggest, I also have the simplex plus and if you are detecting mild to moderate ground it is also another detector that is very good and is way more detector then its price point would suggest the simplex is a single frequency detector running 14Khz the simplex plus if you are detecting on highly mineralized ground I would not recommend purchasing because it is a very very chatty detector.

The Legend is a multi frequency detector running 4,10,15,20 and 40 Khz it can also run all those at single frequency, I have a few buddies that all use the Equinox 600 and 800s, The Legend and the Equinox 800 are very very close in capabilities, the Legend handles EMI a bit better then the Equinox and also does not false as much on nails as the Equinox, the build quality of the Legend also far exceeds the build quality of the Equinox, from what I have seen and compared to my buddies Noxes

The Legend is fairly new to the market and Nokta/Macro continues releasing updates to make it better and better, the most recent update in my opinion has pushed the Legend ahead of the Nox

there has been a few legend users that have had their speakers go out and Nokta/Macro is working on the issue

My suggestion if you do decide on the Legend go with the pro PAC which comes with a 11 inch coil and a 6 inch coil, wireless headphones and a battery back up the standard Legend PAC comes with the 11 inch coil and wireless headphones only,

The Legend has great factory programs that allows you to just turn it on and detect if that's what you want to do or it has settings that can be tweaked to what ever you want pretty much, it is the detector I would suggest, I also have the simplex plus and if you are detecting mild to moderate ground it is also another detector that is very good and is way more detector then its price point would suggest the simplex is a single frequency detector running 14Khz the simplex plus if you are detecting on highly mineralized ground I would not recommend purchasing because it is a very very chatty detector.

The Legend is a multi frequency detector running 4,10,15,20 and 40 Khz it can also run all those at single frequency, I have a few buddies that all use the Equinox 600 and 800s, The Legend and the Equinox 800 are very very close in capabilities, the Legend handles EMI a bit better then the Equinox and also does not false as much on nails as the Equinox, the build quality of the Legend also far exceeds the build quality of the Equinox, from what I have seen and compared to my buddies Noxes

The Legend is fairly new to the market and Nokta/Macro continues releasing updates to make it better and better, the most recent update in my opinion has pushed the Legend ahead of the Nox

there has been a few legend users that have had their speakers go out and Nokta/Macro is working on the issue

My suggestion if you do decide on the Legend go with the pro PAC which comes with a 11 inch coil and a 6 inch coil, wireless headphones and a battery back up the standard Legend PAC comes with the 11 inch coil and wireless headphones only,

I just want to second all of this about the legend. I recently got into metal detecting after borrowing a garrett for a while and purchased a legend for myself. Its very much a turn on and go machine while also allowing you to make a lot of detailed adjustments. Its also fairly intuitive to figure out the menu and everything.

Ive been away for a bit im thinking about getting back into metal detecting,, i was an old die hard beep and dig fan and i do still have most of those machines. Im thinking about getting something new though, a machine that has the best factory settings ( because i wont have time to tinker this time around)
First, welcome back and it is sad to hear you put this great outdoor sport aside for a while.

I have been enjoying metal detecting for over fifty-seven years non-stop and I have an Outfit of ten detectors to help me enjoy a variety of sites and environmental challenges from different debris. One unit I own is a really nice Minelab Equinox 800. For the most part it can be simple to use, but I don't think it is a good pick for the conditions you state.

I also have a Fisher F-75+ that is very versatile and is one of my favorite detectors to use, but it is also a model that I don't think you would enjoy if you are not frequently active and into learning the settings and such.

Some of my other Single-Frequency detectors could serve you well, but I do use one unit that is also a favorite to grab that I feel would serve you well. It is also a SMF design with easily selectable Singke Frequencies of 5 kHz, 10 kHz, 15 kHz and 20 kHz. It has Iron Audio Volume and is very light and comfortable to use making it my favorite first-grab detector when I arrive at most sites.

That is the Garrett Apex. I have been using since I got a fin a l protypd unit at the start of production and I bought three more of them. Never a problem for me or for friends or family.

Monte

Since you live in the Northeastern USA near the coast, simultaneous multi frequency detectors like the Garrett APEX, Equinox 600 and the Legend are definitely a great place to start for saltwater and brackish water beach detecting along with general turf detecting.

The Vanquish models are also excellent but they do not have user accessible manual or automatic ground balance or the iron handling and target separation of those other three.

So, if you are looking for a detector that will be used a lot, like everyday....I would go with the Equinox 600, Legend or Apex.

Some have other opinions. However, I have found the Equinox 600 to be a very easy detector to operate for a beginner with a little study and testing on desired targets when using the Park 1 and Field 1 modes which are much less sensitive to tiny trash. The Legend has a similar setup with the Park M1 and Field M1 modes being less sensitive to tiny trash the the M2 setting. The APEX is not as sensitive to tiny trash as the Equinox 600 and Legend.

The Equinox 600 and the Legend are really easy to setup for basic 2 tone ferrous/non ferrous detecting. The Legend also has a really nice "Pitch" Tone option. They both also have easy to use single digit notching and multiple other tone and audio features.

Where I detect which may have much higher mineralization than your area, the Equinox and Legend have much better depth and target ID accuracy down to the edge of detection than the APEX. Then there is waterproofing. Equinox was advertised as waterproof but turned out to have numerous problems. The Legend so far has proven to be waterproof with only some speaker issues reported. The APEX is not waterproof.

Ive been away for a bit im thinking about getting back into metal detecting,, i was an old die hard beep and dig fan and i do still have most of those machines. Im thinking about getting something new though, a machine that has the best factory settings ( because i wont have time to tinker this time around) im asking you guys who is the best dealer now who has posted prices on their website ( dont have the time to kep emailing asking for prices so not interested in those guys,,,,, 2nd what machine is the best for someone who wants to turn it on and go and not have to mess with anything...hopefully they still have a input for my favorite rattler earphones ( or earphone ha ha) thanks everyone for any info.

If you want the best price you will HAVE to contact a dealer. All of them have the same prices listed. That won't ever change.

Back
Top Bottom