So What Is The Setting For Finding Clad?

Your detector is very simple. If you want to dig coins why not just put it in coin mode and watch the VDI display. This is not rocket science and maybe you are making it harder than it is. If you are in doubt about the VDI numbers then do some airtests to figure them out. Oh, and before you ask, an airtest is waving a coin close to the coil while the detector is on and looking at the display to see what the display says.

The Ace 400 is Really Strange To Me, But Then Again It Is My First And I'm Not Sure Of Others. But It Seems To Detect Large Large Items On Every Category That The Machine Has. I Wonder If The Discrimination Should Be By Size And Not Coin Value. Does This Make Sense What I'm Saying?

The Iron audio function of the ACE 400 sets it apart from its siblings, allowing you hear the iron in a target. Most clad won't signal as having any iron, so if you hear any iron move on to another target. (I usually mark that spot to come back to if I want to look at it further). The 400 is a simple machine that is very effective in cleaning up clad quickly and efficiently.

Yeah, Like I Was Telling Someone Else, This Machine Is Picking Up Very Large Items. Could This Be A Good Thing?

The Ace 400 is Really Strange To Me, But Then Again It Is My First And I'm Not Sure Of Others. But It Seems To Detect Large Large Items On Every Category That The Machine Has. I Wonder If The Discrimination Should Be By Size And Not Coin Value. Does This Make Sense What I'm Saying?
Garrett does have a couple of machines that do sizing but they are more expensive. To eliminate large targets just lift your coil about 8 or 9 inches and if you are still getting a strong signal then walk away unless you are looking for a treasure chest or mason jar full of silver. You can also usually size the target in pinpoint mode by judging how big a footprint the target is giving you. Coins and large objects sound very different when pinpointing them. It is all a matter of getting out there and spending lots of time in the field. No matter what advice or knowledge you may gleem from people sitting behind a computer screen, phone or tablet, until you put it to use in the field you will not understand. Spend the time and it will all come together. Who knows, after a few years you may be answering newbie questions.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Garrett does have a couple of machines that do sizing but they are more expensive. To eliminate large targets just lift your coil about 8 or 9 inches and if you are still getting a strong signal then walk away unless you are looking for a treasure chest or mason jar full of silver. You can also usually size the target in pinpoint mode by judging how big a footprint the target is giving you. Coins and large objects sound very different when pinpointing them. It is all a matter of getting out there and spending lots of time in the field. No matter what advice or knowledge you may gleem from people sitting behind a computer screen, phone or tablet, until you put it to use in the field you will not understand. Spend the time and it will all come together. Who knows, after a few years you may be answering newbie questions.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thank You, speaking of treasure chests? I have two people who believe i need to go back to my last two large digs and keep digging till they get my large items out. They believe it can't be junk items cause there was no reason for junk where i was. One has a husband that has rights to a back hoe there. Do you think this is worth the time?

Thank You, speaking of treasure chests? I have two people who believe i need to go back to my last two large digs and keep digging till they get my large items out. They believe it can't be junk items cause there was no reason for junk where i was. One has a husband that has rights to a back hoe there. Do you think this is worth the time?

Judging on what I have seen you post, I would say don't waste your time. I am not a relic hunter though and some of the things that I see people post I would probably put in my junk pile because I wouldn't know what they were. I mainly hunt for coins and that is what interests me. I do find jewelry every now and then but usually it's a bi-product of hunting for coins. To each their own !!!

:hmmm: So What Is The Setting For Finding Clad?

Just press the "CLAD" button on the left side :laughing::laughing::laughing:
Ace400_CLAD.jpg

Last edited:
That's Funny, that would make it so much easier, but hey if that is a transition for the unknown buttons that lay below the surface of my buttons than i will use it!
:yes::yes::yes:

Basically, put your device into "Coin" mode, and you're golden. :)

You'll find that the VDI numbers for Clad are as follows (the range is because different soil conditions change the conductivity of the coins).

Nickels -52-57 (sometimes as high as 61!)

Pennies - typically 76-77 for zinc, and 80-81 for copper, but can range higher or lower, depending on the corrosion levels

Dimes - 80-82

Quarters 85-88 (typically 85-87)

Dollar coins 87-88

Half-Dollars -89-90

Ike Dollars 98

These may vary slightly (as mentioned) based on the conditions in your environment, but once you get them down for a few coins, there won't often be much difference. For example, in one field I hunt, quarters always ring up 87... in another, it's always 85... in a third still, they'll ALWAYS vary between 83 and 88. Once you learn the patterns of the clad... you'll be all over it.

The bell-tone signal of the ACE400 means that you're digging based on the probability of the signal being a coin... it's not a guarantee... ever. You'll find silver rings as low as 71 on the VDI, and as high as 99... and silver bracelets can ring up as low as mid-40s! (The signal is actually based on an individual link, not the "whole" of the metal).

While you're learning your machine, you'll come across a LOT of trash, this is normal, and don't get frustrated that your device is a trash finding machine. Lots of trash rings up just like coins.

Cheers!

Skippy

It's difficult to read your posts when you use a capital letter at the beginning of every word so I gave up....

X2

Something about having every word capitalized hurts my brain. It's worse than all caps. Why? Why capitalize every word? Whhyyyy???? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom