• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

what's the hardest thing about metal detecting?

The hardest part is trying to spend all the money I make selling my finds! I'm the guy in that White's detecting commercial that found the diamond ring, silver coins and stuff my first time out.:D Just kidding, but it sure sounded good as I typed it.:lol: The hardest part is convincing non MDers that it really isn't a money making hobby. So many of them believe the hype and think it is a good way to get money. How many times have you heard " how long did it take to pay for your detector?". While it is true, we can and do make some money with finds, any minimum wage job would pay a lot more money. I detect because I enjoy it!

About a minute!, the guy at the counter swiped my CC & I was on my way....:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Finding the time to hunt (NEVER enough hunting time), and digging in the rocky soil where I live especially when its as dry as it is now !

Honestly? It's a little selfish but...

One of the hardest things is day in day out finding a pittance in clad and being overjoyed at recovering one silver rosie after 3 solid weeks detecting every day (literally) then coming on here to see someone post pictures of the 14 silver coins they found today. Or looking at someone's totals in their signature line and seeing that they've found more clad, silver, and gold this year than I have since I started detecting in 2014.

At 220 hunts in almost 2 years of detecting, it's not for lack of trying or inexperience with the detector. It can get a little discouraging.

But I keep trying. Someday I'm going to find that mason jar full of old coins. Someday.

Not finding new (and very few) parks to hunt, let alone, old(er) parks which are almost non-existent in my Central Florida location and few older houses in my Florida area for miles around. Folks, Florida (really) sucks and the Gulf beaches are a HUGE disappointment too. NO beaches west of me except for one or two and they are both man-made and carved out of the saw grass marshy coastline in just the last thirty years. Another thing I hate is having to drive an hour and a half(at least) south to Clearwater Beach or some other beach and have these expensive tolls(after a while) and then get their and have to pay to park. REALLY sucks and then to find a small, lousy ten coins on the entire freakin' beach and (GOBS) more trash than that. That really makes me hate MD'ing. I did better, years ago. Don't know what's happened to my luck but in recent years, I just haven't had any luck.

So far, rocky ground. I swear my yard is nothing but busted up/chunked up sandstone that someone sprinkled a little topsoil over!

making money

the only money makers are nuggett noggin, aquachigger and relic recoverists. and a few who hit the beaches every day and find gold rings with diamonds. These guys can read the beaches and know when and which beaches to hit. They do quite well in the money department.

as for me if the price for aluminum went up to $1,500 - $2,000 an ounce I would be a rich man.

Honestly? It's a little selfish but...

One of the hardest things is day in day out finding a pittance in clad and being overjoyed at recovering one silver rosie after 3 solid weeks detecting every day (literally) then coming on here to see someone post pictures of the 14 silver coins they found today. Or looking at someone's totals in their signature line and seeing that they've found more clad, silver, and gold this year than I have since I started detecting in 2014.

At 220 hunts in almost 2 years of detecting, it's not for lack of trying or inexperience with the detector. It can get a little discouraging.

But I keep trying. Someday I'm going to find that mason jar full of old coins. Someday.

I'm with you there. Good finds are so much harder out west.

People bickering about why their metal detector is the best (or why someone else's isn't the best) on a friendly forum. Civil discussions are one thing, but the bickering is wearing on my friendliness.

Oh, and bottle caps.

Oh, and standing at the door watching it rain when you finally had a day to detect.

Oh, and memorial pennies.

Oh, and..........

Where in Florida are you? I'm in Panama City and I have three beaches, two playgrounds, several parks and several multi-purpose sports fields that are loaded with coins.

People coming on a friendly forum and accusing folks that try to help others as being nar·cis·sist
ˈnärsəsəst/Submit
noun
a person who has an excessive interest in or admiration of themselves.
"narcissists who think the world revolves around them"
Forward Message

Absolute jerks in the hobby

1) The disappointed look on my wife's face when I come home with $2.46 in clad, reading glasses, fishing weights, and a Hot Wheels.
2) The public bothering me by asking questions.
3) Digging in rocks and gravel to find can slaw.

You got that right

trying to convince the wife why I want to go metal detecting instead of scrape the old wall paper off the walls..... and not feel guilty about doing it.
The honey do list gets bigger and bigger since i retired , thought i was going to have lots of extra detecting time between the inside and out side projects ,really eats into the detecting time.:laughing:

Hardest part for me is digging thousands of these just in case one is actually a gold ring. Don't know what possess so many people to rip these off their can and toss them on the ground. Must be a secret conspiracy against detectorists. :grin:

Attachments

• 1d1719b7f0ad7bc1ede4735557f4c12e_top-clipart_300-215.jpeg
    1d1719b7f0ad7bc1ede4735557f4c12e_top-clipart_300-215.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 87
Exactly if they say no I crop dust them as I am walking away. 🚶

bwahahahaha :laughing:

One time while dirt digging at a school, I had someones dog come running up behind me and stick its' wet nose right in my butt. Never saw it coming.

Back
Top Bottom