What to do?!?!

SGWiley

I've been overwhelmed lately trying to purchase a new machine. Originally I purchased a Fisher F4 as an upgrade from my ACE250.....but then it didn't seem like too much of an upgrade, so I returned the Fisher and purchased a Minelab Xterra 505....mostly because I have no need for the prospecting mode of the 705.
Now, I'm sitting here wondering if I should have just shelled out a little more and purchased an AT Pro since I'm already familiar with Garrett.

But THEN.....why not just shell out a tad more for a NOX 600?!

I guess what I'm asking is, Is the Xterra 505 enough of an upgrade from the ACE250 to step up my game? Because one could play the upgrade game all day until they are dropping a few grand.

SGWILEY, Semper Fi!!!! I am a former Marine Myself, 89-95. I'm currently using the AT-Pro. Admittedly, this is the only machine I've ever used. I started this addiction/ hobby last July and haven't looked back.

The ATP seems to be a solid performer. I've used it on saltwater beaches, and admittedly it does seem to chatter quite a bit. I manually ground balanced and tweaked the sensitivity and it worked pretty good. That being said, 99% of my hunts are in West Virginia, no salt water beaches to be seen...:laughing:

From what I've seen/ read about the Nox 600 & 800, they both seem to be great machines, but in my opinion, it would depend on where you intend to hunt and how much you're willing to invest. If you plan on doing a lot of salty beach/ water then spend the extra $ and look at the NOX. If your hunts are inland and you can get by with a single frequency machine then look at the ATP or Max. The Pro is upgradeable to wireless and the Max comes with it. The Nox 600, 800, ATP & Max all seem to be quality machines. Just will depend on your needs and the $ you want spend, Good luck with whatever you decide...Semper Fi...

I've been overwhelmed lately trying to purchase a new machine. Originally I purchased a Fisher F4 as an upgrade from my ACE250.....but then it didn't seem like too much of an upgrade, so I returned the Fisher and purchased a Minelab Xterra 505....mostly because I have no need for the prospecting mode of the 705.
Now, I'm sitting here wondering if I should have just shelled out a little more and purchased an AT Pro since I'm already familiar with Garrett.

I guess what I'm asking is, Is the Xterra 505 enough of an upgrade from the ACE250 to step up my game? Because one could play the upgrade game all day until they are dropping a few grand.

I can not comment on the nox because I have never used one with that being said I can comment from experience with the AT PRO and the X TERRA 705 as I own both purchased both at the same time back in 09 or 2010 the 705 in my opinion is one of the most under rated detectors still to this day and the AT PRO one of the most over rated the 705 will see targets deeper than the AT Pro that is my experience with the two and from what I have seen there is not much if any difference between the 505 and the 705 as far as depth capabilities and from my personal experience with the AT PRO the 705 has a big advantage depth wise over the ATP the only advantage the ATP has over the 505 or 705 is its water proof capabilities other than that for me hands down I would have continued to learn the 505 the ATP has a smaller learning curve then the X TERRA machines it took me almost 2 years for the light bulb to turn on and realize what the 705 was telling me if I were to ever up grade I personally would have to purchase a nox 800 but I have never felt I needed to up grade from the 705

My first machine was an Ace 350 and I upgraded to a Makro Racer 2 at that time. Huge performance difference.

Bang for the buck right now though, I'd upgrade to a Makro Multi Kruzer if I were you. It's water proof, comes with high quality wireless headphones, and has 3 selectable frequencies.

Not to be overlooked, their customer service cannot be beat.

I can not comment on the nox because I have never used one with that being said I can comment from experience with the AT PRO and the X TERRA 705 as I own both purchased both at the same time back in 09 or 2010 the 705 in my opinion is one of the most under rated detectors still to this day and the AT PRO one of the most over rated the 705 will see targets deeper than the AT Pro that is my experience with the two and from what I have seen there is not much if any difference between the 505 and the 705 as far as depth capabilities and from my personal experience with the AT PRO the 705 has a big advantage depth wise over the ATP the only advantage the ATP has over the 505 or 705 is its water proof capabilities other than that for me hands down I would have continued to learn the 505 the ATP has a smaller learning curve then the X TERRA machines it took me almost 2 years for the light bulb to turn on and realize what the 705 was telling me if I were to ever up grade I personally would have to purchase a nox 800 but I have never felt I needed to up grade from the 705

Excellent response from oldkoot. The 705 is one of the most underrated detectors out there. That being said, if the Nox had been available back when I first started detecting, I would have bought it for the waterproof capability alone.

Good luck.

My first machine was an Ace 350 and I upgraded to a Makro Racer 2 at that time. Huge performance difference.

Bang for the buck right now though, I'd upgrade to a Makro Multi Kruzer if I were you. It's water proof, comes with high quality wireless headphones, and has 3 selectable frequencies.

I totally agree on the racer being good,and customer service great.
Garrett will match customer service with mskro tho.Both top notch customer service.
The Xterra is so good tho,it has more going for it than any other machine imo.Ive used it extensive,and I have no doubt it will find anything that's there.

Because one could play the upgrade game all day until they are dropping a few grand.

Its good to research and evaluate other rigs..Especially when a person is starting out in this Sport...Try to find the one that makes the most sense to you, (has pleasing tones and is comfortable for you to swing)...Your location may dictate a specific model, and what you like to hunt for will certainly narrow the field...
Then pull the trigger, settle in and put some time behind the coil to learn it well...

I got lucky on my first rig, (F70) I didnt know nothing and just went on somebodies advice, it is a pleasure to swing, trustworthy, fast and accurate and powerful, pleasing tones, has become a natural extension of my brain as it sees down through the dirt...etc...thats about as upgraded good as a guy can get right there...

I will say though, that NOX 800 has captured my attention...fast, light, waterproof...so I'm watching the posts and thinking about it, but still hunting with my simple and steady F70 and doing fine for what I hunt for and how I hunt...It fits my personality and brain pretty solid....

I guess the thing is, where you live and what you are hunting for, you dont need to upgrade if you are happy with what you got...If you are not happy, keep trying out rigs until you find one that fits YOU the best...

What to do

You need to ask your self what are your needs, what kind of hunting are we going to do and where. Case in point for me I hunt mostly parks, schools, ball fields so I don't need a high dollar machine just a good turn on and go one. Right now I'm using a Teknetics 6000 with CORS 9.5 inch x 5.5 inch DD coil and it dose service my needs. I never had the AT Pro but did have the Ace 350 which I sold. The AT Pro main selling point I feel is it's water poof, if your not going be hunting in the water like a river etc then I feel it's a wast of money. Set down and think about what your needs are then go from there.

You need to ask your self what are your needs, what kind of hunting are we going to do and where. Case in point for me I hunt mostly parks, schools, ball fields so I don't need a high dollar machine just a good turn on and go one. Right now I'm using a Teknetics 6000 with CORS 9.5 inch x 5.5 inch DD coil and it dose service my needs. I never had the AT Pro but did have the Ace 350 which I sold. The AT Pro main selling point I feel is it's water poof, if your not going be hunting in the water like a river etc then I feel it's a wast of money. Set down and think about what your needs are then go from there.

There you go Buddy!! Same thought process here! No need to bring a gun to a knife fight! Besides my main Quick Broom F70, I also have an AtPro that is strictly used for hunting Water Gold when the situation merits...So my thought process regarding the NOX 800 is within reason to replace the pair if warranted...Although, I do not want to waste any precious time in season to learn a new and more advanced rig...

I am satisfied with what the Pro can do on the water gold, and what the F70 can do on the dirt..easy peasy turn on and go, they both sling off all sorts of money and fun!...Both have paid for themselves over and over....but yeah...I'm watching this NOX with interest, following the first adopters in field results and evaluating the possible profitable increased enhancement for me...I'm not seeing it ROI justified quite yet....not for what I do, how I hunt, and where I live anyway...

You downgraded from the Ace 350 to the Racer 2 a scrap metal magnet.
The Makro Kruzer has 3 frequencies, but you can only use one at a time.
The Equinox you can use all the frequencies at the same time.

Need to stop hunting around the machine shop then you won't find the scraps with your racer 2. Screw caps and pull tabs are my nemesis in the wild not machined metal scraps and the Equinox is hot on screw caps. And yes have heard from a lot of sources the Ace machines were fairly weak.

If you've only found $2 YTD, it ain't the machine! My 1964 bfo will find that.:cool:

It’s obvious you’re an anti Makro/Nokta honk, but to state that the a Racer 2 is a downgrade from an Ace 350 also shows the validity of your evaluations of detecting equipment.

You lost credibility with anyone that isn’t a fanboy of a certain brand.

I started out with fisher brand. bounty hunter Iv, etp, omega8000, had an ace 250, minelab sovereign(huge learning curve), and last machine atp I have found more silver with my atp than any other of my machine granted the sovereign only had for like a month. At pro with a nel coil has been the most stable machine for myself you swing over a silver you know it’s a silver every fisher/tek I’ve owned is always jumpy.. that said idk what to buy next. My only gold ring was found with an 80$ bh so just pick a machine and learn it

Need to stop hunting around the machine shop then you won't find the scraps with your racer 2. Screw caps and pull tabs are my nemesis in the wild not machined metal scraps and the Equinox is hot on screw caps. And yes have heard from a lot of sources the Ace machines were fairly weak.

The scrap metal is from farm fields, where old houses used to be in the 1800's.

It’s obvious you’re an anti Makro/Nokta honk, but to state that the a Racer 2 is a downgrade from an Ace 350 also shows the validity of your evaluations of detecting equipment.

You lost credibility with anyone that isn’t a fanboy of a certain brand.

The Makro Racer 2 is the worst detector I have ever detected with, for finding scrap metal.

I am NOT a fan of any detector manufacturer. I have used White's, Fisher's, Garrett's, Minebab's and the Makro Racer 2.

The scrap metal is from farm fields, where old houses used to be in the 1800's.

Farm fields are going to be hard detecting grounds for any detector. And I figure Nokta/Makro have made changes since the Racer 2 came out.

For farm fields and separating iron and non ferrous I really like what I'm seeing in the Deeptech Gold Gain units. The audio modulation and sounds have been improved over the original Gold unit. Then there is the 1st Texas new units due out within a year but those will be 1.5k to 2k. So may pull the switch on the Gold Gain unit at 30khz as unit is only around 700$ for just the fields.

Last edited:
I have owned 3 AT Pros and although a decent detector, I find the Equinox to be an outstanding upgrade.
Coming from Minelabs, Sovereign GT, Excalibur, Explorer it was only natural for me to get an Equinox 800 since being familiar with Minelab’s detectors.
Personally, I would look into the Equinox 600 as the perfect upgrade.
Only time and personal experience using it or any detector, will help you become effective in its use.
Best of Luck!
Beachhunter

Back
Top Bottom