Nokta Impact information

I really like the features on the Impact. I'm just a bit disappointed in the fact the pro pack is 1k$ and it isn't even weatherproof and battery life is about 7-9 hours.

I really like the features on the Impact. I'm just a bit disappointed in the fact the pro pack is 1k$ and it isn't even weatherproof and battery life is about 7-9 hours.

In 5Hkz which is the most power consumption frequency, I get more then 9 hours. Honestly, battery life is not a problem. I use rechargeable batteries (their set that they provide, and I bought a package of enoloops from Costco) and swap out.

As for price, call the dealers and get a small discount.

Not being waterproof is a disadvantage but there are not to many machines that are not beach machines that are waterproof.

I just want something that won't get fried when rained on even with covers I tend to stay out since it cools off in the rain lol

I just want something that won't get fried when rained on even with covers I tend to stay out since it cools off in the rain lol

It would be unwise to purposely stand out in the rain with any unit not deemed waterproof.

Now, there are a few units that are deemed water resistant,,meaning they supposedly can take at least a short period of exposure to rain,,without internal damage.

Now, saying all this, a person out detecting and are somewhat far from shelter and are using a non waterproof detector, a user should be thinking of ways they can temporarily protect their units if they say get trapped in the rain.

Ask around on this forum, I am sure you will get some good ideas.

TNSS
I haven't gotten to the salt yet. I hope this weekend, I have found an undisturbed 1700 site here in CT. Its an abandoned farm that the owner died on and had no heirs. It sits empty and forgotten. I went last weekend and the property is wide open. The doors to the main house were wide open. I went in and everything is as the way it was left. All possessions and furniture just as if they just walked away. This will be my hunt for the next few years! Virgin 1700s farm...News at 11....

TNSS
I haven't gotten to the salt yet. I hope this weekend, I have found an undisturbed 1700 site here in CT. Its an abandoned farm that the owner died on and had no heirs. It sits empty and forgotten. I went last weekend and the property is wide open. The doors to the main house were wide open. I went in and everything is as the way it was left. All possessions and furniture just as if they just walked away. This will be my hunt for the next few years! Virgin 1700s farm...News at 11....

Nice!!
Pound that baby!

An experience I had.
Impact users take note.

Was originally posted on Dankowski forum.
I copied to here.

The mighty Nokta Impact.

How good is this detector when hunting in iron?
It does pretty well.

I have tried to follow the host here Mr Danksowski's comments as he continued to provide here on the forum as he tested and used,
He says a site cannot be hunted one time with one mode and or settings and pull all the targets.
Is he right here?

Some folks reading what he said, may have thought what, all you are doing is changing the number of tones reported, no real differences right?
Now as Mr Dankowski was testing he commented on certain modes as far as depth, frequencies too.

But what about hunting in iron and nails, are the Impact's modes here all basically equal when it comes to reporting nonferrous targets?
Now some may be thinking right away, the answer is no, but just because of the deep mode, knowing it does have a slower recovery.

What about the DI99 mode?
I had read where some enjoy using it. I do too btw.
Will it pull out all nonferrous finds the Impact is capable of? Giving clues via recognizable audio?
The short answer here is no.
I'll explain in a moment.

Before I go any further, how many folks here watch all the videos where nail board tests are done, detectors are even compared in the same videos sometimes. How about the ole " down the barrel nail and coin test". I watch these, I'm sure others do to.

Watching all these test performed and videoed (I do appreciate folks,doing btw), what is missing?
What do we seldom ever see in a video as far as how a detector behaves and even how it behaves with settings adjustments and if applicable mode changes?

The answer is a nonferrous grounded to a piece of ferrous like a nail.
Would seeing such be helpful?
You bet ya!!

I am sure a lot of older members here have read the following, I strongly suggest new members to read. This article is somewhat tied to the rest of this post here.
http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/irondiscrimination.htm

So how do the modes DI99 and DI3 differ on Impact?
DI99 mode allows no tone break settings, they are already done for a user. And the targets reported reports on a sliding scale depending on how the detector responds (sliding scale) with felt conductivity of a target.
DI3 allows for tone breaks as well as tone pitch adjustability.

DI99 seems to ID wise report faster as the coil moves over the ground while looking at iron, nails, and possible nonferrous.
DI3 seems meter wise to report slower.

Watching the DI99 mode with the coil in action over a polluted site, one might think the meter is under shooting and overshooting TiD numbers wise when compared to DI3.
Personally I can't say for sure.

So what advantage does DI3 bring to the table DI99 don't or DI 99 mode struggles moreso at doing?
It seems DI99 could be over reporting (or reporting too good) here in instances where ferrous materials and nonferrous materials are possibly extremely close and "for sure" when a nonferrous is grounded to a ferrous object.

When on an outing this afternoon in this site I have put a lot of heat on with some I think very good detectors.
Under where this old jail once sat.
Btw this where I found the fake capped bust dime with Nokta relic detector last year.
This site is super duper polluted.
http://tnsos.org/tsla/imagesearch/citation.php?ImageID=2052

So I was operating in DI99 for a while here today, then took a break and went to DI3.
Tone breaks were 15,,and 95.
Mid tone freq set to 33.
Btw here, this is a real good way to run DI3 in a polluted site.
And btw Mr Keith Southern talked about this as far as Nokta Reic detector, it works with Impact too.
Will allow a user too focus on mid tones and disregard the high tones provided on iron falses.

So I am sweeping along still with smallest coil and get this mid tone, consistent seemed like a tight signal, meter holding steady at 19.
I was using DI3 99 gain.20khz Disc level 2 with the tone breaks as stated above.
So I had a good steady pretty clean sounding target but it was reporting just a touch above iron range (0-15) according to manual.
So I switched to DI99 mode, used the same disc setting, I swept suspect target nothing period I would have ever dug,,sounded like iron and a rolly Polly meter reading to boot.
Even if I tried to really control coil position and sweep, tone was extremely low sounding what their was of it.

So I started digging, at about 5-6" deep I retrieve this rather large nail looking thing (remember this site loaded with square nails all sizes). After second glance I noticed some threads on the end of this old rusty nail looking thing. Turns out it was a what looks like copper fitting, I can't tell if it is welded by corrosive effects or is mechanically screwed to the piece of iron.
So the use of DI3 allowed me to pull this target out. DI99 wouldn't allow me to.

After seeing what had happened I tried to duplicate at the site, but the site too covered in iron and IMO was skewing my results.
I did check this once back home over sterile site, and was able to duplicate what I saw with the object buried and undisturbed.
Now remember my first tone break was set to 15, had I had it at 20, would I have even heard the target?

I will also comment on this here.
Nail and iron density as far as a site goes.
No detector can paint the true picture here, but Impact with smallest coil does the best here of any detector coil combo I have ever used.
I have spent a lot of hours just recently here in this site with Rutus Alter 71 using 9x8" concentric coil, running 0 disc btw.
Rutus is fast, but it won't give a user as good a picture or ferrous density on a site.
Deus is fast too, but it can't do this here as well either.

Btw running DI3 mode and having it set the way I did, comparing it to DI99 fewer higher tones on iron.
And I think having the mid tone not too far pitch wise above iron range allows a user to spot an " interruption in the music the detector is playing".

I thought I would share my experiences.
I still haven't mastered another service in which to post photos.
When I do I'll post a pic of what I found today.

Last edited:
Right now I seem to gravitate to one particular disc mode Di3 for Canadian coin and jewelry hunting. Factory pre-set works excellent. Going to experiment with the tone breaks next.

Right now I seem to gravitate to one particular disc mode Di3 for Canadian coin and jewelry hunting. Factory pre-set works excellent. Going to experiment with the tone breaks next.

This site like I said is eat up with square nails, multiple sizes.
Relic iron too.

Now using small coil running first tone break at 15 in DI3 mode, disc at 2, Impact was running well. I had iron volume level set to F1. I could here plenty of the iron tone as the coil was swept.
What I mean is not giving very many full fledged tones on much of the ferrous materials in site.
The manual says iron range is 0-15.

Read this tester's comments here in this link. First page where he talks about tone break setting. Remember nails and iron can exist in varied sizes.

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,121626,121626#msg-121626

An Impact user probalbly won't dig very many nonferrous targets that read 19.

I dug a I think clean hitting 24 meter reading nonferrous target yesterday on this hunt talked about in post.
Part of some kind of buckle.
My Garrett propointer barely would pick up this find,,even air testing.
I suspect freq related vs conductivity of target with propointer.

What I seen yesterday IMO is akin to what can happen to a user running Deus when running full tones 0 or negative disc.

Last edited:
An experience I had.
Impact users take note.

Was originally posted on Dankowski forum.
I copied to here.

The mighty Nokta Impact.

How good is this detector when hunting in iron?
It does pretty well.

I have tried to follow the host here Mr Danksowski's comments as he continued to provide here on the forum as he tested and used,
He says a site cannot be hunted one time with one mode and or settings and pull all the targets.
Is he right here?

Some folks reading what he said, may have thought what, all you are doing is changing the number of tones reported, no real differences right?
Now as Mr Dankowski was testing he commented on certain modes as far as depth, frequencies too.

But what about hunting in iron and nails, are the Impact's modes here all basically equal when it comes to reporting nonferrous targets?
Now some may be thinking right away, the answer is no, but just because of the deep mode, knowing it does have a slower recovery.

What about the DI99 mode?
I had read where some enjoy using it. I do too btw.
Will it pull out all nonferrous finds the Impact is capable of? Giving clues via recognizable audio?
The short answer here is no.
I'll explain in a moment.

Before I go any further, how many folks here watch all the videos where nail board tests are done, detectors are even compared in the same videos sometimes. How about the ole " down the barrel nail and coin test". I watch these, I'm sure others do to.

Watching all these test performed and videoed (I do appreciate folks,doing btw), what is missing?
What do we seldom ever see in a video as far as how a detector behaves and even how it behaves with settings adjustments and if applicable mode changes?

The answer is a nonferrous grounded to a piece of ferrous like a nail.
Would seeing such be helpful?
You bet ya!!

I am sure a lot of older members here have read the following, I strongly suggest new members to read. This article is somewhat tied to the rest of this post here.
http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/irondiscrimination.htm

So how do the modes DI99 and DI3 differ on Impact?
DI99 mode allows no tone break settings, they are already done for a user. And the targets reported reports on a sliding scale depending on how the detector responds (sliding scale) with felt conductivity of a target.
DI3 allows for tone breaks as well as tone pitch adjustability.

DI99 seems to ID wise report faster as the coil moves over the ground while looking at iron, nails, and possible nonferrous.
DI3 seems meter wise to report slower.

Watching the DI99 mode with the coil in action over a polluted site, one might think the meter is under shooting and overshooting TiD numbers wise when compared to DI3.
Personally I can't say for sure.

So what advantage does DI3 bring to the table DI99 don't or DI 99 mode struggles moreso at doing?
It seems DI99 could be over reporting (or reporting too good) here in instances where ferrous materials and nonferrous materials are possibly extremely close and "for sure" when a nonferrous is grounded to a ferrous object.

When on an outing this afternoon in this site I have put a lot of heat on with some I think very good detectors.
Under where this old jail once sat.
Btw this where I found the fake capped bust dime with Nokta relic detector last year.
This site is super duper polluted.
http://tnsos.org/tsla/imagesearch/citation.php?ImageID=2052

So I was operating in DI99 for a while here today, then took a break and went to DI3.
Tone breaks were 15,,and 95.
Mid tone freq set to 33.
Btw here, this is a real good way to run DI3 in a polluted site.
And btw Mr Keith Southern talked about this as far as Nokta Reic detector, it works with Impact too.
Will allow a user too focus on mid tones and disregard the high tones provided on iron falses.

So I am sweeping along still with smallest coil and get this mid tone, consistent seemed like a tight signal, meter holding steady at 19.
I was using DI3 99 gain.20khz Disc level 2 with the tone breaks as stated above.
So I had a good steady pretty clean sounding target but it was reporting just a touch above iron range (0-15) according to manual.
So I switched to DI99 mode, used the same disc setting, I swept suspect target nothing period I would have ever dug,,sounded like iron and a rolly Polly meter reading to boot.
Even if I tried to really control coil position and sweep, tone was extremely low sounding what their was of it.

So I started digging, at about 5-6" deep I retrieve this rather large nail looking thing (remember this site loaded with square nails all sizes). After second glance I noticed some threads on the end of this old rusty nail looking thing. Turns out it was a what looks like copper fitting, I can't tell if it is welded by corrosive effects or is mechanically screwed to the piece of iron.
So the use of DI3 allowed me to pull this target out. DI99 wouldn't allow me to.

After seeing what had happened I tried to duplicate at the site, but the site too covered in iron and IMO was skewing my results.
I did check this once back home over sterile site, and was able to duplicate what I saw with the object buried and undisturbed.
Now remember my first tone break was set to 15, had I had it at 20, would I have even heard the target?

I will also comment on this here.
Nail and iron density as far as a site goes.
No detector can paint the true picture here, but Impact with smallest coil does the best here of any detector coil combo I have ever used.
I have spent a lot of hours just recently here in this site with Rutus Alter 71 using 9x8" concentric coil, running 0 disc btw.
Rutus is fast, but it won't give a user as good a picture or ferrous density on a site.
Deus is fast too, but it can't do this here as well either.

Btw running DI3 mode and having it set the way I did, comparing it to DI99 fewer higher tones on iron.
And I think having the mid tone not too far pitch wise above iron range allows a user to spot an " interruption in the music the detector is playing".

I thought I would share my experiences.
I still haven't mastered another service in which to post photos.
When I do I'll post a pic of what I found today.

Excellent post TNSS!
You know I am a fan of DI99. I do however use DI3 with the tone breaks and audio set pretty much like you do. I have now used DI4 with the new tone breaks and audio. It gives me that one more break and audio to "spot an " interruption in the music the detector is playing"" as quoted above. Like in the movie Spinal Tap when he refers to his amplifier, "This one goes to eleven" and gives it that one little push over the top.

You'll agree the Impact bangs hard and solid when it knows what's under the coil be it iron or non-ferrous. It's those scratchy ones that really require investigation like you have mentioned before! I hunt iron and square nail infested cellar hole type sites mostly looking for colonial stuff. I use the circling method on these scratchy targets and have learned this about hunting nail infested sites.
(I have found all the DI modes behave the same except for audio and I always run 0 disc to give me all the information in the ground. That's just me.)

While circling I try to find the lowest tone and ID and mark the ground with my shovel in the sweep direction. I then try to find the highest tone and ID and mark again in that direction. If the 2 lines form a 90 degree cross and the high tone doesn't sound like high iron I dig. I have found that this is almost always a non-ferrous target getting masked by an iron nail, bolt or wire. When I dig these targets, I pay attention to my High and Low lines. I have found most often that along the low line the iron target is oriented like this (-) to the coil and along the High line like this (|). If the cross on the ground is crooked to lets say more of a 45 degree angle, it has always turned out to be junk. When I dig these crosses I find nails and other junk at odd angles to each other. This works for me like a poor mans hodograph. As mentioned above, no method is perfect but in these iron infested sites I try to up my odds the best I can.

Here is pic of find talked about above.
IH coin in pic for scale.

2pyoxn9.jpg

Last edited:
I have really been tweaking the tone breaks and audio tones in DI4 mode this past week. Here are the settings that are working well for me so far.

Basic Menu
Gain=90
Disc=2
FeVol.=5

Expert Menu
Notch=2
Audio Tones= Fe=15, Gold/Non Fe=40, Non Fe=50 and the last unboxed=70
Tone breaks= Fe=26, Gold/ Non Fe=65, Non Fe=80

This has been working good and gives a nice rollover audio effect on mixed metals so far. I haven't decided how low to go on the Fe tone break because i have only dug foil balls in the 20's range. I'm also not sure on the tone break for the Non Fe yet but these settings put everything below and above Iron into an audio zone, copper into another and silver into another. Please try this and let me know if it could be adjusted better and WHY.

Setting up the tone breaks was almost counter intuitive to figure out. This needs to be explained better...

Mud whale,
You can give clearer instructions here in this thread for setting up.

What better person?

As far as your lowest tone break,,,just remember and you are right, lowest conductors do come in lower.
But in an unmasking/separation situation it is possible for a medium and higher conductor to come in low.

Just like what happened as I described in the above post.

Now, what a person can do, is say they hunt a site a few times, and really get most of the easier stuff out of,,,as the site gets more and more depleted a lower tone break coming out of iron range just might allow user to hear a nonferrous target ( tangled) they didn't hear (or hear as well) previously.

TNSS
I was thinking of backing the Fe break down to 15 and adjusting from there.:?: Today's thunderstorms have me strapped to the computer until later this afternoon.

TNSS
I was thinking of backing the Fe break down to 15 and adjusting from there.:?: Today's thunderstorms have me strapped to the computer until later this afternoon.

You can try.
Be very good experience for you.
You might consider dialing iron vol level down to F1 or 2.
Any higher the iron volume will moreso trounce the nonferrous reporting. The

The iron vol,,they way it acts--- key to making dig or no dig decisions on challenged targets.

I should say this here.
Ground can be hard and drier this time of year,,,and or be weather temps hotter with humidity.

Hence this is the time of year,,I key on using small coil detector setups for separation and unmasking.
Most target <6" deep.

So easier digging these,,,don't get as hot. And get to experiment with some detector models as well.

Good point on the Fe volume. I didn't think of that. Thanks!!! The weather is going to clear and I'm going to stick with DI4 and go hunt a bunch of trashy cellar holes and parks this weekend. One cellar hole is so iron infested I actually don't expect to find too much. Especially when I find iron forks, spoons and knives!!!

BTW. Where I have been hunting lately it's mostly deep mature woods and the soil is butter soft until you hit ledge rock. It's the roots that are the enemy here. That's why I use the Piranha shovel by Predator Tools. I know some folks in the Southwest must carry a pickax to scratch the dirt!

Back
Top Bottom