• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Mt. Rushmore Quarter machine mark

Bluebark

Got State Quarter that has some kind of machine mark on it that are under the lettering but over the art work. They worth anything?

sSiymoq.jpg

kKVDoTM.jpg

RUwbKr0.jpg

YBn768O.jpg

11GogdY.jpg

Well since this has been viewed quite a few times, I am going to assume I did not hit the coin lottery and it is not a big deal. Does anyone know what these marks are called or what makes them? Trying to search google for coin marks is a little...overwhelming.

Well since this has been viewed quite a few times, I am going to assume I did not hit the coin lottery and it is not a big deal. Does anyone know what these marks are called or what makes them? Trying to search google for coin marks is a little...overwhelming.

Could be from a number of things from a Washing Machine, Dryer, Arcade, Slot Machine.. the list goes on but at least you are looking at your Coinage.. One of these days you may just find something really valuable in your pocket change.. It can happen .. why not to YOU !

@SoOregonMd Thanks for luck...hopefully one day I will. I posted the pics over at a coin site someone listed in hear and was told the marks are from a coin rolling machine. Total value...$.25.:roll:

@SoOregonMd Thanks for luck...hopefully one day I will. I posted the pics over at a coin site someone listed in hear and was told the marks are from a coin rolling machine. Total value...$.25.:roll:

I'm no expert and have no clue as to any value/ I only wanted to point out that if it was damaged post-minting, wouldn't those scrapes go across the date and details? The scar is underneath the date. To me it seems like that would indicate the planchet it was pressed on was damaged beforehand.

That is what I thought looking at it under a microscope. But when you looks at it with plain 'ol eye balls, you notice the the lettering is, as they say, "inverse". The lettering goes into the coin. :roll: They have a whole specialized nomenclature in the world of coins!

I guess I never noticed this design on state quarters.
The term used is ‘incuse’. Post mint damage by a rolling machine.

Back
Top Bottom