Chewed bullet!

Caintuk

Went out today to a place where there was intense conflict resulting in a total rout of federal forces. Braxton Bragg had also set up headquarters. There. Used to be a very large estate there during the battle, and stayed virtually untouched until now.it was also used as a field hospital for both sides. They have started excavating to extend a shopping mall, making it finally accessible. After several hours of finding nothing except for a few shotguns stamps, I decided to take my MX Sport and check the stream that flows thru the property. About 45 mins. Later and this pops out! Got to looking at it closer, i could tell it is a 3 ringer and realized it looks like it has teeth marks! Confirmation?

Attachments

• 2017-03-18 16.57.55.jpg
    2017-03-18 16.57.55.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 353
  • 2017-03-18 17.25.44.jpg
    2017-03-18 17.25.44.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 334
There really wasn't any such thing as a "pain bullet". Most of the ones with teeth marks are from hogs or maybe squirrels. And if it came from the water, it may be messed up from tumbling.

Congrats on the find , there have been a lot of discussion about the chewed bullets . I think anything is possible ,Since most of our opinions come from other people's best guess . GL. ,,,,,HH

I can't say there was bite marks from pain, but looks definetly molar marks. Read about some say hogs could've rooted and bit down on it. Gonna show it to my dentist.

I have found a few with bite marks.. They are my favorite behind my Whitworth
Congrats on the find.....

I've read an archaeological study on where they confirmed three human chewed bullets from Perryville KY battlefield. Now, I'm sure the controversy will always be why. I will neither say mine has been chewed by a human, because I can't back it up. Sure looks like a human molar though. I bit down on a piece of Styrofoam to get some sort of comparison, and it looks close. Gonna see if my dentist is willing to take a look. Lol

There is a fellow who makes videos of his relic hunting experiences. He did a special video on chewed bullets. It was very good and really does answer most of your questions as to chewed bullets. In your search engine put in "Aquachigger" and enjoy the show. And if that doesn't convince you, try putting a bullet in your mouth and chewing on it. Your next adventure will be with your dentist. If this works, here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjNAsi4VjAo

When we say bullet , we're talking only the lead , so why would it be such a surprise If some nervous guys did . Remember the old catch a bullet with your teeth act :lol: what if someone was under the impression chewed bullets did more damage , so many ifs !
,,,,,HH

I read a report where they gathered up about 25 thousand muskets off the battlefield at Gettysburg. 12000 of those were found double loaded, and about 2000 more had 3 to 6 rounds stacked in the barrels! Goes to show anything is possible under extreme duress. I know they have even done forensic testing by experts on human chewed civ bullets. Several were studied that were found on the Perryville battlefield in my home state. There were no conclusive reasons why these were chewed by humans, just that they were indeed chewed by humans.

Back
Top Bottom