River beds

hawkusmc

I've seen threads on beaches and water hunting, but nothing on rivers and stream beds.
Where I live we have large rivers that flood during the rainy season and almost completely dry up in the summer, leaving huge, sandy beaches behind.
Surely this must be a good place to hunt considering the strong currents when flooded. What are your thoughts?

I've seen threads on beaches and water hunting, but nothing on rivers and stream beds.
Where I live we have large rivers that flood during the rainy season and almost completely dry up in the summer, leaving huge, sandy beaches behind.
Surely this must be a good place to hunt considering the strong currents when flooded. What are your thoughts?
Would think you would find more junk than anything else. If you were lucky you could stumble onto an area that used to be an old swimming hole from the late 1800,s to early 1900,s.

Might be good , If you are in a gold producing area . Floods and heavy rains wash gold into stream and river beds ! H H !

I searched a bit along the Mississippi, didn't find anything in 60 mins or so. Periodic movements of water can "sort sand". If so, you'd think that one of the side effects would be causing coins to sink. Sort of like putting a bunch of soil into a jar, add some water to get it fairly wet, put a coin on top, then shake. Quite soon the coin will be at the bottom...

The Arkansas river runs through Wichita. I've been told that there is gold in it from the Colorado mountains. If you work hard and pan all day, you could earn as much as fifty cents. :yes:

A lot of the old river beds have changed and what once was the river bed, is now dry ground. That one steamship that they found was in a field away from the current river channel.

A lot of the old river beds have changed and what once was the river bed, is now dry ground. That one steamship that they found was in a field away from the current river channel.
That's true, but did you see the stuff that guy has found in that link I posted; artifacts still turn up on the river banks.

I think Carol said that some of her best finds had been from river banks.

I bet some banks offer good finds, but I still suspect that the best stuff is buried 1-6 feet in sand.

I've canoed a bit around river islands (St. Croix River, bordering MN and WI) -- islands slowly erode away over the centuries. So maybe one strategy would be to MD on the leading edge of the island (or other formation) that faces the current. Things might have a greater tendency to get exposed there?

That's true, but did you see the stuff that guy has found in that link I posted; artifacts still turn up on the river banks.

I think Carol said that some of her best finds had been from river banks.

Popular spots

What about creeks and rivers like Missouri's Current River which is well known around here as a canoeing and tubing spot. (I don't know if it would even be legal to md). Some people get pretty liqoured up around there and the losses of things seem quite possible. My ex brother in law lost his glasses there on one of our trips.

Anyone have any information about Silver coins being found on the Ohio river bank near Golconda Il. back in the 1980's. Heard it was part of a ship wreck. Just curios if it's local folklore or true.

Hmmmmmm.......It could be a good location.Guess your going to have to find out.

Back
Top Bottom