mystery bullet?

AW1Phillips

as you all know there was a major WW2 battle fought here in Guam. Today i found a round that is bigger than a .50 cal and it has very odd shape to it. here is a pic of the round compared to an american .50 cal round (50 on the right). i assume its Japanese but there has also be Spanish explores and American settlers on this island well before 1940s. Anyways tell me what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_1867.jpg
    IMG_1867.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_1868.jpg
    IMG_1868.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_1865.jpg
    IMG_1865.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 335
What is the exact diameter just below the crimp ring????
In picture it looks the same as the .50 cal.

My guess is the odd shape is due to a steel base & tip that is rusting.
Maybe this is a tracer.

Thanks for the reply, maybe i can find a micrometer tomorrow and grab some dimension. funny thing, im actually in the process of moving and have nothing in my house except my wallet, passport, Garrett 550, and pin-pointer, hahaha. the thing that gets me guessing is the long shape of the round compared to the boat tail style back on .50 to the right. i do agree that the hole in the back must be for tracer powder.

I had the bullet looked at today by a historian and it’s a confirmed Japanese 13mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The round you had confirmed is a Japanese round it also a tracer round. The back end of most trace rounds are flat and hollow. They were filled with a phosphorus compound that burned as it was fired. You can see traces of the compound in the back of that round in the form of a white powder. US 50 cal's have a very similar look. nice find.

Nice find . I was kind of thinking Japanese round , I used to recover live rounds there back in the 70's and 8o's when I was stationed at Polaris Point. Ended up spending 7 active service yrs. their and married a local island girl. I still own a house and property in the village of Mangilao. We just celibrated our 35th anniversary. If you still can do some booney stomping around Cross island rd. near Sigua Falls . A lot of artillery found in that area. But be carefull . Enjoy the island , it's awesome.

Yeah we sure have done our exploring over the last 4 years . It has been great but unfortunately we have to PCS back to San Diego

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom