NJ Shore Bottles

Some recent accusations from the Manville bottle show today, got about 50 in total but these are my favorite finds

J wise Allentown Pa cobalt blue porter / Anthony D Santis Little Silver NJ / Jacob Gassman Atlantic City and Long Branch NJ (with wonky patent closure that I have to look up) / and Pennos mineral water Providence R.I graphite pontilled squat.

15799912044_eebc7b44ed_z.jpg

This is the darkest shade of cobalt I've ever seen on a wise soda! There are so many different shades of these J.Wise sodas.

Here's the best picture I could take to show the color. The light made it look more purple then it actually is but you can still see the embossing pretty clearly.

16237699757_26cecf2278.jpg

GREAT! collection! If you ever find an old red colored bottle it should be most valuable because it was very difficult to make red glass.:yes:

Great post! I love the bottles. I have picked up a few bottles, but nothing as nice as yours.

This is the darkest shade of cobalt I've ever seen on a wise soda! There are so many different shades of these J.Wise sodas.

Here's the best picture I could take to show the color. The light made it look more purple then it actually is but you can still see the embossing pretty clearly.

16237699757_26cecf2278.jpg

OMG :jawdrop: That's one nice bottle! Thanks.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm going use this as an ongoing thread for all my latest bottle finds. Once I get a few bins unpacked and some more shelves up, I will document my entire collection!

Here's my current display, I have some nice shelving but haven't had time to put it up yet.
16242740240_2b72afc1a2_z.jpg

Found some stuff on Saturday,

E.L Tilton Allenhurst NJ sided tin top milk, Coast Mineral Waters Asbury Park NJ hutch, Magnum Bonum Asbury Park NJ Patent med, and TINY Kinmouth pharmacy Asbury Park, NJ

16473202391_4ff5f63f1e_z.jpg

Thanks! The Coast Mineral Waters is RARE too. Never appreciated how peculiar the top is until you pointed it out, I like it!!

Here it is in all it's glory!
16482895135_86350ecf11.jpg

I just aquired a spring steel privy probe and hope to do some local bottle digging/collecting myself. We have a local bottle collecting club and I'm going to attend the next meeting.

Thank you for sharing those beautiful bottles with us. Can't wait to see more!

Thanks!

And good luck digging privys, I have wanted to dig one for awhile and i'm hoping my friend takes me on some privy digs in Philly this summer.

And bottle clubs are great! I am a member of a few around here. Also, a good website if you need any tips to get started and to ask questions is http://www.antique-bottles.net/ Once I joined I became a serious collector.

Love that j wise..i have a pair of them i bought back in day that i would like show but wow i totally cant figure out how to post pics on this site...i knew a guy who dug privys back in the mid 80s in a small town near me ... they hit privy after privy loaded with cases of j wise bottles..he showed me pics of some of the better holes and i kid you not they were like more bottles than dirt,just stacked on top of each other in every orientation possible...it kinda broke the local market on that bottle for a short while as he was coming out with like 150 to 200 of them per privy...but other than that small town those bottles were not found in that kind of quanity any where else to my knowledge. ..im sure price wise theve rebounded quite well..

Great finds!! Thanks for the pictures, and very interesting story. I know a guy who dug 35 cobalt sodas in 1 dig and I thought that was impressive.

Sounds like your friend found the few pits were good ol' Wise dumped his bottles after his business closed or possibly a few old tavern pits.

I thought that you guys might get a kick out of this blob,

This jersey shore pictorial blob is one of the easiest to find yet one of the most distinctive. Embossed on the front is Jos.Strohmenger Turtle Bay Brewery Lager Beer Oceanic NJ. The most striking quality of this bottle is the picture in the center, which portrays what appears to be a mildly intoxicated guy holding a chalice up in the air while riding an oversized turtle. As far as NJ picture beers go this is the pinnacle as far as uniqueness, but they are easily obtainable.

Picture 1- the whole bottle
16380159519_809895e839.jpg

picture 2- the center of the slug plate
16380157909_0b6f920536.jpg

I thought that you guys might get a kick out of this blob,

This jersey shore pictorial blob is one of the easiest to find yet one of the most distinctive. Embossed on the front is Jos.Strohmenger Turtle Bay Brewery Lager Beer Oceanic NJ. The most striking quality of this bottle is the picture in the center, which portrays what appears to be a mildly intoxicated guy holding a chalice up in the air while riding an oversized turtle. As far as NJ picture beers go this is the pinnacle as far as uniqueness, but they are easily obtainable.

Picture 1- the whole bottle
16380159519_809895e839.jpg

picture 2- the center of the slug plate
16380157909_0b6f920536.jpg

Bottles with picture designs are always unique, prized finds. I found this not too long ago:

Attachments

• Spitzer Bros Hutch.jpg
    Spitzer Bros Hutch.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 128
Back
Top Bottom