Bought a bunch of ring polishing supplies!

Brizors

My question is which of these should be sufficient enough and which should I return. I went to Harbor Freight and got all this knowing I won't need them all and that some will be returned.

I am on a budget so I am wondering from your guys experience which of these will be sufficient for polishing rings and such. I have a 14k white gold ring with 5 diamonds on it that I want to polish. I also want to have a little kit here for future ring finds and jewelry to polish with. Also how should I use these tools for polishing what is the best method?

I actually have a drill in my garage so please let me know which of these I should keep and what I should return. Thank you so much!

Also the ring in question being polished is pictured below!

Edit**
I am so sorry I cannot get the pics to turn rightside up.. even on my computer they are right side up... when I upload them to here they rotate!!...

Attachments

• 20161217_013946.jpg
    20161217_013946.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 801
  • 20161228_230240.jpg
    20161228_230240.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 741
  • 20161228_230209.jpg
    20161228_230209.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 728
Do i need all this stuff though? I bought 2 polishing compound types is there one i can return that is inferior? Im really not sure all i need but am trying to save money.

For example the dremel is 1/8 shank and the buffing and polishing kit with the red and white compound is 1/4 and the lambs wool polishing wheel is also 1/4 so is it okay to return those and just use the 1/8 cloth rotary wheels on the dremel with the blue polishing compound for my white gold ring with the 5 diamonds to polish it up and get the little scratches out? Is it also okay to use on the diamonds? The blue compound says its for high glass shine on plastic gold silver and die cast items so that would cover my gold and silver finds correct? I hope its okay for diamonds cause i surely will accidentally poliah them a bit as you can see in the ring pic here.

My thought is for your needs, just buy a small bottle of jewelry polish with a soft cloth and do each item by hand. The power approach is somewhat aggressive and may cause more damage than help.

My thought is for your needs, just buy a small bottle of jewelry polish with a soft cloth and do each item by hand. The power approach is somewhat aggressive and may cause more damage than help.

Thank you! You saw my ring pic above that I will be polishing? So the blue compound I got in the pics is okay? And with just a regular cotton sock per say? I don't actually need a polishing cloth to go with the compound? Also is the Diamonds safe to rub with the compound and cloth? They have some scratches too.

the compound is for the metal and will have very little effect on the stones. Approach your cleaning with gentle pressure, gold is very soft and some compounds will leave that brushed effect and not the high shine. Soak it in Dawn dish soap and water solution and dry prior to trying to clean.

the compound is for the metal and will have very little effect on the stones. Approach your cleaning with gentle pressure, gold is very soft and some compounds will leave that brushed effect and not the high shine. Soak it in Dawn dish soap and water solution and dry prior to trying to clean.

Uh oh.... I do not want a brushed effect.. that's for sure... I want to remove the tiny scratches and restore a brilliant shine. Just be gentle and the shine will happen? I'm practicing right now with a cotton cloth and the blue harbor freight polishing compound on a small silver ingot a made from unwanted silver jewelry.

***Edit***
So this Harbor Freight blue compound stuff(high gloss shine for gold,silver,plastic and die cast items) is hard as a rock... I am unsure how to apply it to this cotton cloth in order to hand practice hand polishing on this silver ingot... do you have any ideas? Am I using the wrong compound? This compound says to use with a loose leaf buff.. that involves a power tool... that is the complete opposite of hand polishing, which is what was recommended here and what I wish to do. Hmmmm....... :/

All I use is Mothers mag and aluminum polish from wallyworld and a sock. To do the inside you can cut a strip of sock and let it wrap around a drillbit and put some mothers on it. Let it spin inside the ring while turning the ring. All the shining rings I post have been polished with mothers mag polish. If you do one with diamonds afterwards I clean the polish out with some dish soap and an old toothbrush.

All I use is Mothers mag and aluminum polish from wallyworld and a sock. To do the inside you can cut a strip of sock and let it wrap around a drillbit and put some mothers on it. Let it spin inside the ring while turning the ring. All the shining rings I post have been polished with mothers mag polish. If you do one with diamonds afterwards I clean the polish out with some dish soap and an old toothbrush.

Mothers mag and aluminum polish huh? So we don't even need to mess around with the crazy compounds and "rouge's" or polish cloths out there?! Just simple ol' Mothers mag and aluminum polish and a sock on a drill bit.... well DAMN!!....

If that works, does no harm, and it works well... then why not?! Anyone have a reason NOT to do this? If not, I might as well use this method!

*Edit**
I find this funny because I used to have this exact product in my garage for polishing car rims... Very multipurpose it seems!

Mothers mag and aluminum polish huh? So we don't even need to mess around with the crazy compounds and "rouge's" or polish cloths out there?! Just simple ol' Mothers mag and aluminum polish and a sock on a drill bit.... well DAMN!!....

If that works, does no harm, and it works well... then why not?! Anyone have a reason NOT to do this? If not, I might as well use this method!

*Edit**
I find this funny because I used to have this exact product in my garage for polishing car rims... Very multipurpose it seems!

That stuff is amazing. I even have polished scratches from car windows. I also used it to restore the hard to find stainless trim on my buddies 442. I been polishing gold and silver with it since 2010. I have used the powerball or whatever they call it? But an old white sock turned inside out works like a champ!

That stuff is amazing. I even have polished scratches from car windows. I also used it to restore the hard to find stainless trim on my buddies 442. I been polishing gold and silver with it since 2010. I have used the powerball or whatever they call it? But an old white sock turned inside out works like a champ!

Alrighty then you have sold me on it! I will pick up some Mothers mag polishing product and use it as my ring/jewelry gold/silver polishing compound. Thank you so much for turning me onto this! :)

My god.... You were so RIGHT!!! I bought the Mothers Mag metal polish yesterday and I just finished polishing it with a cotton rag for about 10 minutes and oh my god!!! Worked like a charm! I can literally see my reflection in the ring now and it is jaw dropping beautiful now, I never thought it could shine/glimmer this bright!

You have just changed my world! I will be using this stuff on all my jewelry find in regards to polishing.

Thank you sosososo much!!! :)

My god.... You were so RIGHT!!! I bought the Mothers Mag metal polish yesterday and I just finished polishing it with a cotton rag for about 10 minutes and oh my god!!! Worked like a charm! I can literally see my reflection in the ring now and it is jaw dropping beautiful now, I never thought it could shine/glimmer this bright!

You have just changed my world! I will be using this stuff on all my jewelry find in regards to polishing.

Thank you sosososo much!!! :)

Glad it worked for you bud! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom