View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Dewsweeper894 View post
Ok , I do not want to argue about it either .
Maybe over the years the ball fields have been Re done with soil braught in or air rated multiples of times . Many were built in low spots already even with natural hillside seating . The idea of an area like this alreadybstarting with a large sediment base could be more likely.
I did not mean to come off the wrong way, I did not mean to sound like I was ganging up on ya .
It seems most of the parks and similar recreation areas were set aside as the land was low and wet and more less likely to be useful at the time . My perspective seems to be from the smaller town situations .
Always interesting in learning something if you have time to share.
Dew
I'm happy to educate as much as possible, I just have a bad way of coming off as condescending. It almost got me fired at work the other week, purely from poor choice of words.

In a lawn-type soil structure, very little biomass gets put back into the soil, it is very different from say a forest or a healthy pasture. Frequent cutting of the grass means most of the carbonaceous material doesn't become part of the soil. Soils build up through large inputs, either from large quantities of organic matter, such as leaf litter, or through physical addition of material, through sedimentation or intentional fill material. That is not to say that things can't 'sink' deeper into the soil over time.

2 members found this post helpful.
Members of Friendly Metal Detecting Forums have rated post 2860302 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!