Picked up new Cz455 American 22lr,,look at how the Gemtech ammo shoots in it

I think that Green Mountain was making 10/22 barrels back then. They were about the first.
What's sad is how prices have gone crazy. I remember when a new 10/22 was $54. Of course a new BB Chevelle SS was only $3600 then too. :laughing:

The 10/22 is without doubt the most customized/personalized rimfire in history, and within the last 20yrs the AR15 has become it's centerfire counterpart. They are both not much more than kits anymore, that you assemble to taste.

Some nice weapons y'all sporting there. I used to shoot a good bit, up till the late 80s when the kid was born. It's amazing how that little episode reroutes your whole direction in life, your priorities, your life.
So I packed everything away in a couple of footlockers, drug them out every now and then to lube them up. Used to love shooting my ole 10/22 with a 3x9 x40 scope with see thru scope rings. Used that for squirrel hunting. I don't think I missed 10 out of every 100 squirrels with that setup. Factory stock , barrel and all.
I picked up one of those .17 caliber , bolt action rifles a while back a boy was selling because he needed some cash. I've only shot it a few times but it seems like it's pretty acurate. They say it's a 22mag necked down to a .17 caliber. It's a fun little rifle to shoot what little I've shot it. Do y'all know much about them ? Any words of wisdom on these ?

Some nice weapons y'all sporting there. I used to shoot a good bit, up till the late 80s when the kid was born. It's amazing how that little episode reroutes your whole direction in life, your priorities, your life.
So I packed everything away in a couple of footlockers, drug them out every now and then to lube them up. Used to love shooting my ole 10/22 with a 3x9 x40 scope with see thru scope rings. Used that for squirrel hunting. I don't think I missed 10 out of every 100 squirrels with that setup. Factory stock , barrel and all.
I picked up one of those .17 caliber , bolt action rifles a while back a boy was selling because he needed some cash. I've only shot it a few times but it seems like it's pretty acurate. They say it's a 22mag necked down to a .17 caliber. It's a fun little rifle to shoot what little I've shot it. Do y'all know much about them ? Any words of wisdom on these ?

The 17hmr is a 22 mad necked down.
Not to be confused with a 17 Mach 2.. A 22lr necked down.

As far as the 17hmr.
A very forgiving round to fire.
MoA groups are common out of factory barrels.
I used to squirrel hunt with one in the winter time.
I could kill squirrels nicely out to 125yards.
Ground hogs out to 175 yards.
Flat shooter for rim fire,,does pop sorta loud,little recoil.

The ammo made seems consistent.
Some guns like the 17 grain, some like 20 grain bullets.

The hornady 17 grain I always favored.
But the 20 grain hollow pints better for coyotes.

Flashback! I remember one year back in the late 80's, The State of SD issued only 60 permits for predator callers to hunt Wind Cave Nat park! Since I lived sort of close in Rockerville, on a whim, I applied and threw my hat in the ring for this lottery! Boom! I drew a golden ticket! To call in and shoot 'yotes in a Nat Park?

I tell you brothers...that was really something! Hunting 'yotes and following the buffalo and antelope herds....just amazing! All the other predator callers were blowing the standard distressed rabbit calls, wearing camo from head to foot, but after about the third day, the remaining 'yotes wised up and would not come in listening to all those dying rabbits....

So I went all retro...I needed the money, and was not out there for fun...so I stopped blowing on the Talley Ho, and instead switched over to a Faulks C-50 Crow call, and also dressed in loud colored 'touristy' looking attire! These Nat Park 'yotes were used to seeing tourists, getting their picture taken by them even, not a bit ascared, and they were used to listening for crows feasting on a runt over prairie dog tourist road kill!

I just massively slaughtered the hell out of those 'yotes right from the road just pulling up on a likely location near a prairie dog town, and blowing that crow call! Wearing all sort of brightly colored clothes like a tourist! Easy! They were not the least bit concerned about a parked car on the road or a guy out there acting like a tourist...

But dress in camo and blow a dying rabbit? Sneaking along the ridgelines far away from the road with 59 other dinks doing likewise? Yeah...that sort of made them think a little...'yotes are not stupid...

Looking back, I bet I coulda done it with a bag of marshmallows and a golf club! That woulda saved me some time on the 50 yard retrieve I guess...:laughing: I really miss those days...That was really something...I'm not that good of a shot so any little bit helps...Again, just as in this Sport of Detecting...In the end, Its all about getting results!

Sounds like the coyotes had them dudes outsmarted.
Not you though.
It pays to pay attention.

17hmr seems like a really interesting round, not nearly as cheap to shoot as a 22 but it seems to have a big advantage in it's ability to reach out there...
My favorite rifle I ever had was a remington mountain rifle in 25-06, very nice flat shooter...

17hmr seems like a really interesting round, not nearly as cheap to shoot as a 22 but it seems to have a big advantage in it's ability to reach out there...
My favorite rifle I ever had was a remington mountain rifle in 25-06, very nice flat shooter...

You mean one like this one.

I bought this baby when I retired back in 2003.

I think Remington discontinued these mountain rifles.

This rifle here,,more of a pleasure to drag around here in hilly Tn,,,vs boat anchor weight centerfire rifles.

Last edited:
More feedback on this Cz455.

Love the gun.
Quite accurate.
I tend to shoot a new gun I get,,when I find a shell it will shoot well.
Well the Gemtech does well for the price.
Seems accuracy started tailing off about 125 shots,,,I kept shooting to the 175 mark.
One patch with CLP,,one pull with bore snake.

She's shooting extremely well again.
Seems to take but a couple shots after cleaning poi spot on.

Some thing else I noticed. Bore snake not hard to pull through,,not as hard as my Anschutz.
Some folks claim CZ 22lr barrels are a little tighter size wise than most,,,this gun I have maybe not.

Also,,I use this shot count vs accuracy to tell me about the condition of barrel.
Based on what I seen when comparing groups as the shot doubt went up.

Very please. This barrel based on this,,,in good shape not to be a custom barrel.
Could also be some thing to do with the cleanliness of the ammo too.

Last edited:
The 17hmr is a 22 mad necked down.
Not to be confused with a 17 Mach 2.. A 22lr necked down.

As far as the 17hmr.
A very forgiving round to fire.
MoA groups are common out of factory barrels.
I used to squirrel hunt with one in the winter time.
I could kill squirrels nicely out to 125yards.
Ground hogs out to 175 yards.
Flat shooter for rim fire,,does pop sorta loud,little recoil.

The ammo made seems consistent.
Some guns like the 17 grain, some like 20 grain bullets.

The hornady 17 grain I always favored.
But the 20 grain hollow pints better for coyotes.

Correct , I should have specified, mine is the HMR model.

I had a ruger 10/22 back in the mid 90's. That's when the accuracy mods started becoming popular with the heavy, match barrels and trigger mods. I sent mine off to some company that advertised the accuracy mods. Can't remember who they were now...it's been a long time. They put on a 16.25" heavy match barrel and did the trigger mods. When I got it back, I bought a synthetic stock and accraglassed the action and barrel to the stock. What a nicely balanced, compact squirrel hunting rig! And boy did it shoot. Out of the stuff I tried, one of the best, most consistent groupers was CCI minimag hollowpoints! They would shoot honest .5" groups at 50 yards consistently. They even shot better than most of the sub-sonic target stuff. If I remember correctly I had a Weaver V24 6-24X scope on it. That gun ended up getting stolen when my house got broken into and was never recovered.

I had a ruger 10/22 back in the mid 90's. That's when the accuracy mods started becoming popular with the heavy, match barrels and trigger mods. I sent mine off to some company that advertised the accuracy mods. Can't remember who they were now...it's been a long time. They put on a 16.25" heavy match barrel and did the trigger mods. When I got it back, I bought a synthetic stock and accraglassed the action and barrel to the stock. What a nicely balanced, compact squirrel hunting rig! And boy did it shoot. Out of the stuff I tried, one of the best, most consistent groupers was CCI minimag hollowpoints! They would shoot honest .5" groups at 50 yards consistently. They even shot better than most of the sub-sonic target stuff. If I remember correctly I had a Weaver V24 6-24X scope on it. That gun ended up getting stolen when my house got broken into and was never recovered.

Sorry to hear about your gun being lifted.

I hate thieves.

LOL, KT likes to keep it simple. Since He lives out in the country, to rid the Royal property of various pests, like raccoon and opossum, and those darned tree rats, KT prefers a good .410 with buckshot. Effective on the tree rats, and for the coons and opossums, catching in a live trap and one .22 at 6 inches is a kill every time!

Sure it's not sporting, but it's them vs. KT and the Queen for the produce of the Royal Garden! :laughing: KT likes His vegetables! And even the Queen is not upset with that activity. Have a trap set out right now for those pesky critters off the back porch of the Castle at the request of the Queen.

Before KT's closest neighbor quit gardening, we had little problem with these pests, but after a few years he gave up gardening, because he was just feeding the critters, so now they visit the Royal Garden on a frequent basis.

I just picked up another .22 last week. A Savage Axis .223Rem. :D

Not familiar with those models.

Savage does make some good shooting rifles though.
I like my savage 204 Ruger.

Coyote inside 401 yards and stands or sits still for a little while== it won't ever come back.

Did a little demo shot for a gent a couple weeks ago,,one shot at 215 yards= Varmit is gone.
He is dying to get a 204 now.
He didn't realize how potent and how fast and accurate they shot.

I'm enjoying a Ruger American in 22lr. Bolt action but uses 10/22 rotary or extended magazines. I like shooting Aguila Super Colibri powderless rounds but unfortunately it is no longer been produced.
It's a short round but I can load a 10rd rotary mag and the rounds strip and feed well if you don't take too long closing the bolt. Quieter than an air rifle and accurate enough to pop pecans out of the tree.
The first Ruger American I bought and shot was for my niece for her birthday, pink Muddy Girl cammo even. After shooting it I knew I had to have one. I lucked out and picked up mine in Feb, used but in like new condition. $220 later and it was all mine.
Glad to see level headed and like mined gun people are in this forum.

.22 ppc?

While we are on the subject, have any of you boys fooled around with the .22PPC? I remember it really caught my attention when I was loading the 22-250 and hunting 'yotes back in the late 80's....Its a fat ugly little round, not streamlined and sexy like the 250, but it certainly captured my interest when it came out and Ruger built available!

If Memory serves, that squat ugly cartridge delivered the same FPS with the 52g HPBT match only with greater accuracy and burning 30% less powder required!

I always wanted to fool with one and never got the chance! I'd be using those BTHP match, Winchester 760 ball, trying to find the right mix to get me 3700 fps or thereabouts with extremely tight downrange POI...top end optics of course...

That 22-250 was a tack driver once I got it dialed in and the recipe right, and the PPC was considered an 'experimental' rig at the time, so I never pursued it....but the 22PPC always held my imagination..even to this day it does!...That there rig would be the optimum 'yote gear if it worked as advertised...

I ran into a guy at the store once who wildcatted a round and barrel he called "The 17 yote"...same principle..He showed me the shell! He was using necked down 7mag brass and a 25gr .17 !....damndest thing you ever seen! I dont know how it performed, or how in the hell he got that nearly 90 degree shoulder angle on the brass, but he did...Carry on Gentlemen...excellent reading on this thread!

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone have any experience with a Ruger falling block rifles? It always seemed like an interesting rifle to me with the potential for real accuracy...

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone have any experience with a Ruger falling block rifles? It always seemed like an interesting rifle to me with the potential for real accuracy...
Good solid guns. Very strong.

Personally, I always preferred falling blocks with external hammers. That's why I've got a Browning M-78 (now called a Low-Wall) in .22-250 w/tapered octagon barrel.

While we are on the subject, have any of you boys fooled around with the .22PPC? I remember it really caught my attention when I was loading the 22-250 and hunting 'yotes back in the late 80's....Its a fat ugly little round, not streamlined and sexy like the 250, but it certainly captured my interest when it came out and Ruger built available!

If Memory serves, that squat ugly cartridge delivered the same FPS with the 52g HPBT match only with greater accuracy and burning 30% less powder required!

I always wanted to fool with one and never got the chance! I'd be using those BTHP match, Winchester 760 ball, trying to find the right mix to get me 3700 fps or thereabouts with extremely tight downrange POI...top end optics of course...

That 22-250 was a tack driver once I got it dialed in and the recipe right, and the PPC was considered an 'experimental' rig at the time, so I never pursued it....but the 22PPC always held my imagination..even to this day it does!...That there rig would be the optimum 'yote gear if it worked as advertised...

I ran into a guy at the store once who wildcatted a round and barrel he called "The 17 yote"...same principle..He showed me the shell! He was using necked down 7mag brass and a 25gr .17 !....damndest thing you ever seen! I dont know how it performed, or how in the hell he got that nearly 90 degree shoulder angle on the brass, but he did...Carry on Gentlemen...excellent reading on this thread!

I have never personally fooled with 22 ppc.
It did take the target round shooting away from the 222 round.
Has to do more with the ignition of the Ppc making it more accurate shot for shot.

Back
Top Bottom