• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Wishing Well

rob.ream258

Elite Member
Been at this sport / addiction for over six years and love every minute I get to swing my machine. Freezing cold, 100+ heat, nights, lunch, and all the mornings I can get out there. I sold my ATPro after the first year and purchased the Fisher F75 because I wanted a machine that goes deep - real deep. Living on the Gulf Coast with very sand turf all the old stuff sinks deep and the ATPro could only scratch the surface.

This past weekend was definitely the exception - any machine would have found the coin. Even the very basic kids/starter machines found in the big box stores would have found the coin. I'd venture to bet the Garret Carrot would have found the coin as well if I only used it.

I was on prime turf hunting a pounded park that has practically no "good" signals. I was under an old oak tree and noticed some bricks 30 yards off to my right that appeared to be in a circle. Maybe an old flower garden but I'd guess it is too small so I think it's an old wishing well that was on the property. Inspecting it confirmed my guess with a ton of bricks sunk on the inside of the circle that went deep.

On circling the bricks swinging slow to ensure I had over lapping swings I had a screaming high tone and the VDI was higher than the normal can. Knowing it was either deep and huge or very shallow so I casually dropped the Lesche a couple inches down and flung out a chunk of dirt. Didn't even cut a plug since I was guessing it was huge and deep - we all know the shallow stuff is almost always junk. Out came a big disk - tarnished - grey. I had no idea what it was and didn't think it was silver. After 6 years all the silver I've dug came out clean and slightly shiny.

On close inspection (without touching it) I noticed the eagle - not sure what it was yet but I knew it was a US coin with an eagle on the back. So I grabbed my phone, took a few pics, and then inspected my find. Still in shock.... this stuff doesn't happen here in Florida - we Floridians can go 6 six months to a year and not find a silver coin. We have beaches with the occasional bling but silver is hard to come by.

Way cool find to me - I hope others feel the same!!!!!

GL & HH

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 470
  • well.jpg
    well.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 481
  • closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 467
  • home.jpg
    home.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 467
That's one that I haven't gotten yet! BEAUTIFUL & congrats!!

Congrats on the fat silver!

Still in shock.... this stuff doesn't happen here in Florida - we Floridians can go 6 six months to a year and not find a silver coin.

I found a 1939 silver $1 Canadaian, and it still is boggling me how it got there. Only about 5" deep in hard packed sandy dirt (sports field).

I guess if we keep looking, they're out there and we'll find 'em!

Wow, congratulations! Did anything else come out of there?

Nope - that was the only coin in that entire area. I am wondering on what it would take to get permission to dig out the old well. I'd venture to guess that if it's a wishing well and not an actual well it will be fairly shallow with a ton of loot at the bottom. One can only wonder.....but once I pose the idea to the city my idea is "out of the bag" and everyone in the town would know.

Can anyone think of a reason to put on the permit other than seeking pirate treasures??

thank yall for the posts..... GL & HH

Back
Top Bottom