• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

100+ clad day and a stack of quarters!

DCCraftsman

This past Sunday I hit 101 clad coins for the day. During the hunt I had a signal that I actually read about on a past forum post. A 90 - 94 on the AT Pro showing about 4" deep. I found a stack...well see for yourself. What was a neat 4 quarter stack...until I hit one while digging. Strange for sure?? I later had another 92, could I have a second stack??? Nope, but it was another dollar in the pocket, a modern 1$ coin. All in all a great clad day. 101 coins comprised of 41 quarters, 26 dimes, 4 nickels, 29 pennies (including 1 Canadian) and a 1$ coin. Over a 4 1/2 hr day that averages out to about 1+ coin every 5 minutes. ( and 2 pull-tabs :D) The loot is destined for a new, shiny 1oz silver coin.

Attachments

• 4 Quarter Stack.jpg
    4 Quarter Stack.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 300
  • 101 Clad coins 10.7.2018.jpg
    101 Clad coins 10.7.2018.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 274
That is a lot of coins for one hunt.
Any hint on what type of place had all those coins?

My best was this past Sunday with 8 coins. All clad except three copper Lincolns. Did find a 1909 Barber dime there before.

That is a lot of coins for one hunt.
Any hint on what type of place had all those coins?

My best was this past Sunday with 8 coins. All clad except three copper Lincolns. Did find a 1909 Barber dime there before.

A large local sporting complex where lots of parents and grand parents watch their prodigy play. Concentrate on the area that lead to concessions and where people are likely to setup a chair and sit. Under shade trees for example.

I love finding those spots that have a snack shack and no one has hunted, almost always means tons of clad and lots of fun digging. Congrats on passing the century mark, not easy to do!

I love finding those spots that have a snack shack and no one has hunted, almost always means tons of clad and lots of fun digging. Congrats on passing the century mark, not easy to do!

Thanks You Ron71! This was my 3rd visit and still haven't hit the whole place. I did in the last visit hit the oldest coins on average...looking forward to another visit or two before terra-firma beccomes terra-frozen.

A large local sporting complex where lots of parents and grand parents watch their prodigy play. Concentrate on the area that lead to concessions and where people are likely to setup a chair and sit. Under shade trees for example.

Thanks for reply.

That just gave me the idea of hitting the parks that have free summer concerts. Some even have concessions.

Thanks for reply.

That just gave me the idea of hitting the parks that have free summer concerts. Some even have concessions.
Bingo! The grassy areas bordering parking lots are good areas too. People are pulling keys (and coins) out of their pockets!

Thank You Mud-puppy! Cladding is fun!

OH Man! I LOVE clad hammering! Its so much Fun to wade into a place, figure out the primary, secondary and tertiary drop zones and then just wipe it out! Its a major subset skill within this Sport to pull a Century day on clad!

I really enjoy it too!! Getting a heavy pouch of clad! Hitting stacks and slants and spills! Then I drive on home and spend my dirt finds on beer! Immediate gratification! :laughing:

Just like Andy does in the British show "The Detectorist".
Great scenes when he drops a handful of dirty coins on the bar.

The best part about spending the coins at the bar is you have a great chance at finding them for a second time in the curb strip outside the bar after the guy next to you dumps his change while reaching for his keys in his pocket..:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom