• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Nox vs. Etrac

WoodButcher

You should have saw the extra shafts, coils , i traded for a new CTX 3030, -- V3i 5 extra coils, Etrac 4 extra coils, the thing about the Etrac is , i didn't like the stock coil, sef 8x6 and 10x12 including the Ultimate is what i used , of coarse you will purchase the extra shafts , because without them , life's a B--- changing coils :yes::laughing:

I will chime in here with something entirely different to consider for wide open spaces. I have fallen in love with the 18” clean sweep coil. There are several detector choices but I dig everything above iron in the sports fields and totlots I hunt. Don’t care about silver gimme the GOLD! Btw I’ve already paid for my equipment several times. Clad is $ too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made up my mind. Gonna order an Equinox 800 this week and wait it out. Thanks for the replies guys.

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

I made up my mind. Gonna order an Equinox 800 this week and wait it out. Thanks for the replies guys.

I know you made up your mind but the jury is still out IMO. Nox is lighter and a pleasure to swing. E-Trac is heavier but the VID is great. Both seem to get the same depth in our tests so far side by side. However with the Equinox the numbers are worthless on deep coins. E-Trac is right on.

I am doing comparison tests side by side and the first ones were done with a defective E-Trac. The main thing the Equinox has going for it is being light and versatile to be used on land and in water.

The Equinox IMO is harder to program and in a park it hits on a lot of trash and you have to listen to a lot of noise. I am sure I can program some out though when I learn it better. It is a good machine.

I know you made up your mind but the jury is still out IMO. Nox is lighter and a pleasure to swing. E-Trac is heavier but the VID is great. Both seem to get the same depth in our tests so far side by side. However with the Equinox the numbers are worthless on deep coins. E-Trac is right on.

I am doing comparison tests side by side and the first ones were done with a defective E-Trac. The main thing the Equinox has going for it is being light and versatile to be used on land and in water.

The Equinox IMO is harder to program and in a park it hits on a lot of trash and you have to listen to a lot of noise. I am sure I can program some out though when I learn it better. It is a good machine.
I forgot to mention one thing, I also live on a lake. So waterproof would be a huge benefit. I'm a tone hunter also, been swinging an mxt for a couple years now. I've also got some places where I'm positive the separation of the nox is gonna pull some good stuff. Most of these trashy places have been pounded by fbs and single frequency vlf.

I forgot to mention one thing, I also live on a lake. So waterproof would be a huge benefit. I'm a tone hunter also, been swinging an mxt for a couple years now. I've also got some places where I'm positive the separation of the nox is gonna pull some good stuff. Most of these trashy places have been pounded by fbs and single frequency vlf.

Sounds like you made a sound decision then. The Equinox is a good choice even though it is not better than the E-trac on finding targets, it has that water option the E-Trac doesn't.

You could also win the contest and be set up totally for land and water!

You should have saw the extra shafts, coils , i traded for a new CTX 3030, -- V3i 5 extra coils, Etrac 4 extra coils, the thing about the Etrac is , i didn't like the stock coil, sef 8x6 and 10x12 including the Ultimate is what i used , of coarse you will purchase the extra shafts , because without them , life's a B--- changing coils :yes::laughing:

"the thing about the Etrac is , i didn't like the stock coil, sef 8x6 and 10x12 including the Ultimate is what I used"

I am the same. Funny thing is, my FBS mentor swears the Pro Coil is superior to any Detech coil. I never could prove that as fact, and many signals of his I would compare in the field with the Pro Coil on deep signals, would not pick up near as well with my Etrac/Pro Coil. His Slimline coil on the Explorer toned much better. I also own two Pro coils and both limp along compared to my SEF coils. I mostly run a 10x12 these days. The 8x6 is next in line. Oddly, the 13" Ultimate lacks something in seperation. The Pro coil could actually beat that coil, but lacks extended depth.

I quickly added a couple extra lowers. No way am I feeding that wire through the lower, and fearing losing hardware in the field when disassembling in a swap. Minelab is proud of there spare parts when you lose anything!

I have used two Etracs equipped with the 10x12 SEF.
They can't seem to get the depth that the older Explorers do.

All the nox hype was the affordable price point..... my buddy got his nox 800 when they first came out..... used it for 3 weeks sold it for $1200 went back to the etrac.

Hey Chris, sorry to hear about you selling the MXT Pro because it is a great machine and all machines will struggle with correct ID at 8 inches unless the conditions are perfect. I have watched a lot of videos on the Nox because I was seriously considering one but after hearing and seeing the issues with the ID, I decided against it. The Nox only has the one coil available at this time so that was another issue for me. I owned an Etrac and can testify that it was probably the best ID of any machine that I have owned. The Nox is lightweight and waterproof so I can understand if you want to get into water detecting but I wouldn't get my hopes up that it will correctly ID targets at depth better than the MXT did. ScubaDetector and Woodbutcher are giving you some good advice IMHO. Good luck and I sure would like to make it back down that way sometime for a hunt. If you ever get down here in the San Antonio area, look me up.

All the nox hype was the affordable price point..... my buddy got his nox 800 when they first came out..... used it for 3 weeks sold it for $1200 went back to the etrac.

Your buddy was coming from the wrong direction. Someone coming from an AT Pro/Max might have kept the Nox...

Seriously, leaving the undeniable hype aside, for $650/900, the Nox gives a lot of bang for the buck; but ML never meant it to displace their much more expensive ET/CTX machines--although some relic or beach hunters may disagree with me :)

And who exactly said Nox was the Etrac killer?

I saw no one officially from Minelab ever say.

I did see some wishful thinkers try to float.

So your bud listened to the wrong folks evidently.

Thanks for the input guys but I'm sticking to my decision to buy the 800. Matin v3i was hunting with his 600 today in a couple very pounded sites. Guess what? He pulled silver and wheat in places that have literally been hunted dozens and dozens of times.All in very trashy places.

Thanks for the input guys but I'm sticking to my decision to buy the 800. Matin v3i was hunting with his 600 today in a couple very pounded sites. Guess what? He pulled silver and wheat in places that have literally been hunted dozens and dozens of times.All in very trashy places.

Nothing at all wrong with sticking to your decision. As you said you want a water machine also. Did you join the contest? You could win almost what you want and upgrade.

Good luck with your new detector !!! That's some good news about Martin and the 600 !! If the Equinox pulled silver out of those regular parks that Martin usually hunts then that's pretty impressive. He has been having some good success with his Minelab's since switching over from the V3i.

You will love the Nox!

I am having no issues with ID on my Nox. For me, the VID is very close to just as good as my CTX.

I run my CTX wide open and hot (sensitivity at 24-26+/deep on/fast off) and my Nox Park 2, all metal, recovery 3-4 and sensitivity 23-25. Obviously, I lose the recovery speed but I find these settings very comparable to my CTX.

It has been an interesting two days with the 600 Equinox. I got it on Saturday and the weather kept me away from a hunt until yesterday. Monday was the day I found the 1920 wheat mixed in with a beavertail. It was in a small area where we've all has success over the years, yet it's been a hard place to get any high tones. I finished the day up in park #2, a brutal place to find much these days. There, in a trashy spot around the tot lot, where we've found many good finds, came up a 43 Mercury. I was stunned. The dig spot was really trash, and the Nox seeked out a good 27-28 VDI in a very tight waggle pattern. MAN!, was that spot riddled with junk signals. There have been many-a good tectors and high end machines used right there in that tiny area. I, myself have worked it a lot with my Explorer and Etrac over the last year. That Merc evaded many folks machines.

Day2. I went to another city today and hunted a site where we killed it, finding Barbers, V & Shield nickels, Seated dimes and quarter...any coin signal was almost a guarantee in finding something old. Well, I found another silver there today, a 1901 Barber dime in high trash.

Me finding a silver two days in a row with the Equinox here in my old hunt spots, is exciting.

It has been an interesting two days with the 600 Equinox. I got it on Saturday and the weather kept me away from a hunt until yesterday. Monday was the day I found the 1920 wheat mixed in with a beavertail. It was in a small area where we've all has success over the years, yet it's been a hard place to get any high tones. I finished the day up in park #2, a brutal place to find much these days. There, in a trashy spot around the tot lot, where we've found many good finds, came up a 43 Mercury. I was stunned. The dig spot was really trash, and the Nox seeked out a good 27-28 VDI in a very tight waggle pattern. MAN!, was that spot riddled with junk signals. There have been many-a good tectors and high end machines used right there in that tiny area. I, myself have worked it a lot with my Explorer and Etrac over the last year. That Merc evaded many folks machines.

Day2. I went to another city today and hunted a site where we killed it, finding Barbers, V & Shield nickels, Seated dimes and quarter...any coin signal was almost a guarantee in finding something old. Well, I found another silver there today, a 1901 Barber dime in high trash.

Me finding a silver two days in a row with the Equinox here in my old hunt spots, is exciting.

Great Job Martin !!! Glad to know the Equinox is working well in Texas soil.

Great Job Martin !!! Glad to know the Equinox is working well in Texas soil.

The vote ain't all in yet about Texas dirt. That Barber was only covered by dust, so a true "dug" silver hasn't happened. That was the only coin found that hunt. I previously found another Barber dime there which came just like that one...same general location and same surface find.

I did work the area harder for a couple hours. All found was that one coin. Time will tell. Cool how the Equinox worked the signal out from in-between the junk though. Martin

The vote ain't all in yet about Texas dirt. That Barber was only covered by dust, so a true "dug" silver hasn't happened. That was the only coin found that hunt. I previously found another Barber dime there which came just like that one...same general location and same surface find.

I did work the area harder for a couple hours. All found was that one coin. Time will tell. Cool how the Equinox worked the signal out from in-between the junk though. Martin
Thanks for the honest eval. Looking forward to seeing more info on the Nox from you. Please keep me posted.
Pesc

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom