Buying gold to test detectors

Waiting for the day when someone can say they've cleared $10,500 with their machine..

Until then, I'll keep my mid level ATP, because that's what it's found... Gold adds up way quicker..

<°)))>{

What? Screw you and the hat you are wearing! $10k worth of gold found with an ATP? digger please! I know a guy who found over $10k in cash paper money right out of one guys dumpster! Let alone all the gold off that one secret beach he found!....

This is a Great Country! Theres money laying around all over the place! A guy dont really need a detector to find it! I myself found a $1000 leather chair sitting out at the curb on garbage day once! Get 'em Needler! :laughing:

Attachments

• brad young-1.jpg
    brad young-1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
4.1 pounds of silver since July CHR.

That's cute that you think that's a large amount of silver (especially with so much 40%).

While its certainly a lot from CRH, I hope you also paid attention to everyone telling you that score was a once in a lifetime thing. That is more than most CRHs see in a decade of searching.

Again, good luck with whatever you want to do.

That's cute that you think that's a large amount of silver (especially with so much 40%).

While its certainly a lot from CRH, I hope you also paid attention to everyone telling you that score was a once in a lifetime thing. That is more than most CRHs see in a decade of searching.

Again, good luck with whatever you want to do.

Yeah I know. But I can dream it can happen again.:p

IF you use gold in assy cards then leave it in the card then into a good zip-lock bag. Bury the whole thing. Should be much easier to find when digging up.

Very true, you do not need to take it out of the card.

If anyone is interested, a few year back we did a Fisher F2 air test of the 10" coil that included a gold coin. Like so many detectors, it was all over the scale.

picture.php

Re my post #52, obviously other's weren't ready to let this thread die, so I'll jump back in with the following:

Skippy SH13,

The above quote is from your post #43.

With reference to the comment I colored blue, presumably you are taking a video to show the target number(s) on your detector display screen before digging and then probably continuing the video after digging to show what the target actually was. This seems like an obvious conclusion. ;)

Thanks,
ToddB64

Yes, that's correct. It's why I have a lot of videos of pulling out wrapped up pieces of can. LOL

I was going to say clad is not a by catch i'ts basically what your paying a $1,000 dollar detector for besides cherry picking silver you get to cherry pick the clad. It's the other precious metals that are by catch finds.

Someone said gold, platinum, palladium would fall under zinc. So it doesn't matter how better a detector is at seeing conductive targets masked with iron. You'd have to dig it with any detector to know if it's gold, platinum, or palladium making them by catch products. In the end the higher end detector pulls signals from greater depths is the only real advantage from my understanding and to cherry pick clad and silver.

Two things here:

That's an incredible amount of silver. But before I can compare apples to apples, will you please clarify: is that 4.1 pounds of silver coins or is that 4.1 pounds of silver? And is it 4.1 troy pounds or normal? I'd like to make sure if you're going to state that people aren't finding what you are... let's make sure we're getting apples to apples.

Because even if it's 4.1 pounds of silver with standard weights (not Troy), it's 1.86 Kilograms. At today's Spot price, that's a whopping $852.02.

And that's if you're counting the PURE silver. If it's coins, you're counting, and it's a 50/50 ratio of 40% vs 90% (by weight, not by coin, as 40% coins weigh 1 gram less than 90%), that drops the value down to just $584.67.

And to put that into comparison... $584.67 is just 15.2 grams of gold.
Or 26.1 grams of 14K.

And if you want to ask how many people in this forum have found $584.67 in gold in the last 3.5 months, I think you'll be a little surprised at the volume of "yeah, I have".

Personally, I'm at $321 in gold since July, $233 in clad, and $28 in silver. Total that up, and it's $582. Roughly the same as the estimate above. I'm also only hitting the land about 2 days a week, and last year in the same time, going 4-5 days a week I cleared over $1000 every 3 months, consistently. Same with the year before. And yes... I've cleared $10,500 with my equipment. It turns out some gold really is worth a whole hill-of-beans, when it has 3 carats of diamonds in it. Best find netted me $2800 (I don't count "retail" costs, only sold items). I fully expect to find more than that in the future.

You'd have to dig it with any detector to know if it's gold, platinum, or palladium making them by catch products.

Its astonishing that you seemed to have completely missed Tom's well-written points. Your statement above is like saying 'you still have to unroll your coins to know if they're silver.' Well, YEAH. that's the point. we don't go, "Oh! That's probably gold!" and leave it in the ground on the off chance it isn't. That's silly.

But sure as shootin', sir, we leave a HECKUVA lot of trash in the ground. why? Because our equipment enables us to SKIP IT.

I started with the ACE350. It was a bell tone machine. I found 9 gold rings with it, and detected an average of 80-120 hours per ring. I dug a GOB of trash..> why? I couldn't tell the difference between fine foil and a ring. It all sounded the same.

I moved up to an AT Pro. And hated it at first. It was SO confusing! ALL THOSE NOISES!... But then... then I learned to speak my detectors language, and discovered so much of the trash I was finding before, could remain IN the ground, because I learned that not all trash sounds like gold does... just some of it. With a bell-tone machine, I couldn't do that. It all sounded the same. Bell tone.

Then I moved to an AT Max... And hated it at first... It was SO confusing... AGAIN
But, I learned that all those pops-chatters-and extra sounds actually helped me weed out an additional set of trash that I could definitively rule out as things like "pencil ferrule," or in conjuction with how things react to the pin pointer, "folded foil." My detecting took on new heights of productivity.

Now, I average less than 40 hours per gold item, and my change pouch fills up MUCH faster than my trash pouch. Clad per hour has gone way up. And this is at the same sites I've been hitting for 3 years (I'm a new park hunter).

Bottom line here, bud, is that better machines DO make a difference. Can they definitively ID what is IN the ground? Nope... but just like you can slice open a coin role and look at the reeded edges for silver coins, we can use our pops-chatters-squeaks-pings, and tones, to tell us what is likely to be gold or worth digging. Some items, though, you still just have to dig up to find. Just as you have to look at every coin to find an error coin or a special mint-mark (not just the reed), for those looking for the special sounds (like "could it be a chain?") they have to look at each item, not just scan the reeded edges.

Yes. The better machines change the ability to pull better targets out of the ground. no doubt about it. And if you're telling yourself (and the forum) that the high end machines can't do the job, it's better to look at the user, not the equipment.

I know if I put my detector in the hands of a newbie, they can't figure out what those sounds mean either, and assume I must just dig it all, or am just stupid lucky. 54 gold items, in 3 years (51 on land), says otherwise. I hope you can continue to find $850 in silver every three months, because If we're basing on past results, and current trends. I'll clear $3500 this year. (which is a little less than average, but I'm getting out less, too).

Oh, and one last thing...
In the end the higher end detector pulls signals from greater depths is the only real advantage from my understanding and to cherry pick clad and silver.
100% of my gold has come from less than 7 inches. I typically run only on 3-4 sensitivity. I don't need depth to find what I'm looking for. And yes, I'll probably upgrade to the NOX800 eventually. All things in their time.

Cheers!

Skippy

Nope, it's a good thread. Lots to share here... People will come from all over looking at this content. Not just the OP.

Well, to paraphrase needler's goal as I understood it, he wanted a logical method of metal detecting that would allow him to find precious metal jewelry items, exclude most trash, and do this with a high rate of success.

Those we consider "seasoned pro's" in this hobby, who's opinions expressed in this thread we respect, have made it abundantly clear that, due to the magnitude of uncontrollable variables involved, the above goal isn't possible and logical reasons were given.

Folks who fantasize on the idea of outsmarting the laws of physics are spinning their wheels considering the present day level of technology available to the masses coupled with the rules of ROI that metal detector companies must abide or go broke ! But admittedly, I went through that phase myself for awhile.

So in conclusion, I just felt like this thread had completed the work of presenting enough facts to convince any logical, practical thinking, person that the goal is not attainable and we are "beating a dead horse" to continue.

ToddB64

Back
Top Bottom