• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Did I get scammed?

2011.. figured he was a lurker. When I was making the excal shafts a couple years ago I was getting 10 messages a day from similar people. I'm pretty sure the guy did mail something as he had a tracking number. It would be a huge gamble to try and scam on his part. I suspect the trade just went south and he feels he tried/Did his part

If the tracking is from USPS, pm me and I'll see if I can help. Not that I have inside pull or anything, but I do work there and might be able to clarify some tracking details from my bosses.

I had one parcel with about 100 in coins lost in mail no idea what happened came back unopened after a whole year. Have ordered parts overseas came after 6 months.. who knows ?

If the other party responds you could eventually receive it.

Some of the apartments we deliver to have parcel lockers. You wouldn't believe how many people don't know how to use them to access their package. Many find the key for the parcel locker in their mailbox and have no clue what the key is for. A year ago, I put in an order for the PO maintenance guys to drill out all the locks and install new ones since all the keys were missing and I wanted to start using them (they save time by not having to go to the apt door)...anyways, there were packages dating back from 2009 in there no one ever retreived. :laughing:

Less than 2 weeks after the new locks had been installed, they were all full again and the residents had lost all the keys again. They're still full and unaccessable. :laughing:

Several years ago i bought a Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax from a forum member. He had a good rating and had been a member for several years. He said that his other detector was in the pawn shop. Since i have other detectors i told him that he could use it until he got his other one back. At first he was real thankful and said that he was just going to buy me a new one. Before long he quit answering my messages and dropped off of the forum. I still don't have the detector that I paid for and now I can't afford to buy another. It seems that you can't help anyone out anymore.

I would be booking a flight to NJ and going to get your detector... That just aint right Steve, sorry man. I hope you guys can figure something out...IMO, he should be sending you cash or your ATX back...

I may be wrong but for me in Canada sending a detector international the costs may be way too much. Probably less in US but likely still a fair amount, then tracking is sketchy.

I would be booking a flight to NJ and going to get your detector... That just aint right Steve, sorry man. I hope you guys can figure something out...IMO, he should be sending you cash or your ATX back...

I have to look at it from his point as well. How does he know I'm not lying? I don't think he is trying to scam... it was just a deal that went sideways... for me.
Hopefully I will have an update in a month or so with a happy ending

This is when a feedback score from this site becomes critical. Maybe not so much in a paypal deal but for a trade absolutely.

This is when a feedback score from this site becomes critical. Maybe not so much in a paypal deal but for a trade absolutely.

Even with ie Ebay/pay pal where the buyer has chance of 99 % money back guarantee. A scammer could still return a parcel back with tracking but minus the original purchase.

The old saying is never risk more then we can afford to loose..granted hindsight is 20/20

Last edited:
Curious if this ever got resolved. I got scammed a little over a year ago on another forum by a guy who does this sort of !!!!. He has frequented the forums over several years and scammed people.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Hey Goondock and anyone else interested in this situation. I am the one that made the trade with steve but since he hasn't added to the thread I figured I would update everyone. I can only assume some of you may think I scammed him just by the tone in some peoples posts. I actually sent my detector to him first since he wouldn't send his til he saw that I sent mine. Long story short his atx made it to me first time through no problem. When I sent him my detector it got stuck in china customs. I didn't put his phone number on the package hes right that was my bad. For whatever reason china customs did NOT send it to him. There was no lithium batteries or anything wrong with the package. It was just a metal detector. They got in touch with him and asked him how much he paid and they didn't believe him So he had me send him an invoice. Im still not sure why he couldn't say he just did an even trade but I think customs wanted more money? I could be wrong. So anyways I send him the invoice and when he gave it to them they said it looked suspicious so they sent it back to me in the US!!! So When I received it I repackaged it to look as professional as I could. Then I filled everything out and setup the package to steves exact specifications since I only shipped a couple times prior and none of those times where over seas. Even with his phone number on the package and everything done the way he wanted me to do it. China Customs still would not give him the detector!!!!

Also steve paid the shipping second time around. I really feel bad for him. Not only is he out the detector so far also the extra shipping money. Fast forward to two days ago the package finally made it back to my house. It was in very bad shape! So we have decided that I should sell it locally and I would send him the money. I personally will never ship anything expensive to china again. Tomorrow I am sending pictures to him and maybe he can read the chinese words on the package to maybe shed some more light on the situation. Steve has been very nice the full way through. I really feel bad for the guy. Also he was right. I am a lurker. I haven't had a lot to say on any forums let alone this one. I guess its my nature. I hope this may help with anyone dealing with customs issues or atleast can sympathise.

Steve just told me They said because it was old electronics or 2nd hand. They were going to charge 25% tax.. but then sent it back without telling him for a couple weeks. Very bad service on part of customs in china! His phone number was written on the package. I image they see thousands of packages a day in beijing. Still no excuse but I guess its understandable.

Steve just told me They said because it was old electronics or 2nd hand. They were going to charge 25% tax.. but then sent it back without telling him for a couple weeks. Very bad service on part of customs in china! His phone number was written on the package. I image they see thousands of packages a day in beijing. Still no excuse but I guess its understandable.
Thanks Glen. Customs over here can be very picky. I could just imagine if someone flew over here with a metal detector and customs seized the detector. I could see it happening.
Glen is a stand up guy who has gone out on a limb more than once to try and complete the trade. I do appreciate it.

Glad to see the issue is being resolved. Yesz I'm always wary of shopping abroad for that specific reason.

Several years ago i bought a Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax from a forum member. He had a good rating and had been a member for several years. He said that his other detector was in the pawn shop. Since i have other detectors i told him that he could use it until he got his other one back. At first he was real thankful and said that he was just going to buy me a new one. Before long he quit answering my messages and dropped off of the forum. I still don't have the detector that I paid for and now I can't afford to buy another. It seems that you can't help anyone out anymore.

After not hearing from this person for several years, about a month ago I got a message out of the blue from him saying how sorry he was and how he was going to make it up to me by sending a detector that week-end. No detector and I haven't heard anymore since. He was on the forum for one day to send the message and hasn't been back since.

Last edited:
@Silversmith wow thats strange behavior. Maybe he had a moment where he felt bad.

Also thanks for the nice responses guys! This is a great forum I should get in here more. HH

live and learn buddy. the thing is both could have set up an ebay accounts and you both could of done your transactions that way through ebay. It would of been very simple for both party's. hope everything works out well.... alwYS ACOUNTY FOR SHIPPING COSTS FROM ONE COUNTRY TO ANOTHER...

Back
Top Bottom