Beach find 1 min in to hunt...

Rawkfist

Just decided to post this to get some opinions on condition.

Last summer my family and I, while vacationing at the beach in NJ, decided to make a random stop along a stretch of beach and walk around a bit so I decided to bring the Fisher F2 and have a go. One minute in, about 50 yards away from the water, I find this.
Decent condition except for the date lol. Oh well. Just taught me, You never know!
I believe it is 1774. The 177 is clearly visible but the 4 is difficult to make out.

Attachments

• IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 378
Looks incredible for a beach find. Confirmed authentic? I only ask, because I've seen a few replicas found on beaches of old coins, often sold at souvenir shops on beaches for a few bucks...

It looks good though! I surely would be doing a happy dance finding something that awesome!

I'm no coin expert but I will say in the eyes of a coin collector it might grade low due to environmental damage but to most of us here that is one freaking sweet find! Big Congrats!

For those of us who are uneducated , (me), exactly what is that ? One Reale ? Eight ? It is silver, right ?

Thank you to those of you that chimed in. I thought I would share another very cool find that I dug up on a riverbank that runs through our town. This was about 3 inches in the mud during low tide.
Previously to these two finds my oldest silver was a 1907 Russian Kopeks and a 1938 American Quarter. Enjoy.
This is a 1/2 Reale. The other one above is a 8 Reale. The 1/2 is the size of an American dime and the 8 Reale is the size of a silver dollar. Both of these were minted in Mexico City.

Attachments

• IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 194
Back
Top Bottom