Prospecting For Relics.........Really???

John-Edmonton

Elite Member

I have recently added gold prospecting to my hobbies. It really compliments metal detecting, in that you are always searching. Detecting is about what's under the coil, prospecting is about whats in your shovel. Lots of wonderful surprises lurk in rivers, often out of reach, that is, until it ends up in your gold pan, sluice-box or highbanker. And just like metal detecting, it's always about location location location.

A nice gold pan is enough to get you started with the possibility of finding a nice gold nugget along with a relic or two.

Here's some of the river glass I have been picking out of the gravel in my shovel. It is very collectible and can be sold at a premium. Lady luck was with me, and I eyeballed a nice intage skate blade from years ago. Was is used in playing hockey? Perhaps skating with a date at an old winter ice skating party years ago!

Here's what I got in my shovel a few days ago. My buddy and I searched for gold near Edmonton, and I got a square nail, an old button, an old (Native?) bead and old large caliber bullet. Last year I did get a small silver silver ring, several coins and an old vintage silver salt-shaker. You just never know......

Who doesn't like fossils? Every river has a variety of fossils, of many different types. The North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton has plenty of petrified wood and petrified bones. A lot of these relics have been eyeballed and picked. Prospecting allows one with a shovel to dig beneath the surface and get more of these sought after fossils.

And, as metal detecting, gold is at the top of the "Best Finds" chain, along with relics. To get gold, you can use a gold pan, a metal detector like the AT GOLD or ATX and of course a shovel. You can also dredge for gold, use a river sluice or even a highbanker where allowed.

Attachments

• panning-for-gold (2).jpg
    panning-for-gold (2).jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 441
So... your telling me that "river glass" you can sell for a premium ? Like how much ? Never heard of that. I can sell you buckets full if you want...

So... your telling me that "river glass" you can sell for a premium ? Like how much ? Never heard of that. I can sell you buckets full if you want...

I maybe should have called it "sea glass," however, the nearest ocean is about a 13 hour drive. My glass is in the river....same abrasion over time.If you were to google sea glass, you will find collectors of it, traders of it, jewelry made out of it, it's value based on color.

And yes, some of the glass can sell at a premium, as the river meanders through some old 150 year old dumps, breaking up some old discarded bottles of various colors and thickness.

You can also find it for sale on Ebay.

Better check you buckets of glass! :gettinmoney:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 409
Nice shot of the raw yellow!
less than 30 days until I am panning in Colorado:D

I hope you are successful and get some of that gold in your pan. Be warned.....finding gold in the pan may cause fever, and the only antidote is to get more and more and more.......

Are you going to put a small coil on one of your detectors and try some sniping?

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    11.5 KB · Views: 267
Sharing the wealth and wisdom John.Learning about the glass is new to me also. Great info and pictures. As always the Gold really excites me. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom