Kids these days!

jkbemdavis

Elite Member
With apologies to Wolf-Dog and Princess, I am shaking my head. I am a teacher and meet all sorts of students/children. A former student (now 23 years old ) heard that I collect half-dollars. He mentioned that he had 4 of them (halves) delivered to me at school today. I let him know that I owed him four dollars.... he had no idea. Nice gesture, but I could have made some money there, lol !

Attachments

• 510FFB26-E433-4C18-93C5-E01EA806FD39.jpg
    510FFB26-E433-4C18-93C5-E01EA806FD39.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 935
Makes me feel old, though when I was a kid these Ikes were not a common sight either, but I was into coin collecting a little back then.

Niceness! :cool:
Thanks amc rulz. I like them too !
Well hey, you owe him $4!...so give him 3 $2 bills wouldja you cheapskate! :laughing:
Surprisingly he hasn’t heard of those either. Debit cards are about all e has known.
Makes me feel old, though when I was a kid these Ikes were not a common sight either, but I was into coin collecting a little back then.

They haven’t been common for a while, but jeesh, read the back!🤔

It's sad the lack of attention a lot of younger people have these days. :( Still, Ikes are neat to have. I have over 50 that I'm looking to sell soon, I think. :money:

It's sad the lack of attention a lot of younger people have these days. :( Still, Ikes are neat to have. I have over 50 that I'm looking to sell soon, I think. :money:

Agreed that they are neat Wolf-Dog! I have acquired a decent quantity of the Ike’s for use as birthday card inserts for my Grandchildren. Hopefully as they get older, they will appreciate them as gifts, and will perhaps see them as the beginning of an interesting collection.

This lack of basic knowledge, unfortunately, is why silver halves get dumped in coin machines. It is sad, but keeps KT pretty busy looking for silver!

I agree KT. I think people are just in too much of a hurry and/or careless. Perhaps they just don’t know, but it creates opportunities for the rest of us. I enjoy the silver hunt when it comes from a bank, but I couldn’t take advantage of this kid knowingly. ( even though they weren’t silver )

I agree KT. I think people are just in too much of a hurry and/or careless. Perhaps they just don’t know, but it creates opportunities for the rest of us. I enjoy the silver hunt when it comes from a bank, but I couldn’t take advantage of this kid knowingly. ( even though they weren’t silver )

Face to face, KT would NEVER take advantage of anyone that way, but let them dump and the KT will play! :laughing::laughing:

Ive done my own research, and have found that on average, folks know nothing of silver coin or the years they were minted. (Watch a few Mark Dice videos on YouTube, pretty funny). I can understand why, because our silver has not been money for over 50 years. People really don’t care. I still have co-workers bring me 1964 nickels, thinking they’re silver :lol:

Though it's possible that the 23 year old kid wasn't familiar with the coin, he should have been able to READ the reverse of the coin where it says ONE DOLLAR.:yes:

Yes, diggin4clad, I agree with you. I think others here have also hit the nail on the head... people are simply in too much of a hurry these days, or they just don’t care. I prefer to think in this case, since he was a former student and heard that I collect coins, he simply wanted to help me out.

Ive done my own research, and have found that on average, folks know nothing of silver coin or the years they were minted. (Watch a few Mark Dice videos on YouTube, pretty funny). I can understand why, because our silver has not been money for over 50 years. People really don’t care. I still have co-workers bring me 1964 nickels, thinking they’re silver :lol:

Agreed amc rulz. Interestingly I enjoy doing research and learning about things.

I spend Ikes and halves all the time. Rarely do older people even blink and just take them with the occasional response " i haven't seen these since I was your age!". On the other hand , most people my age and under are dumbfounded by the coins and struggle to count them lol and then they quickly trade for them out of the register once I've made my purchase. Its quite hilarious.

I spend Ikes and halves all the time. Rarely do older people even blink and just take them with the occasional response " i haven't seen these since I was your age!". On the other hand , most people my age and under are dumbfounded by the coins and struggle to count them lol and then they quickly trade for them out of the register once I've made my purchase. Its quite hilarious.

I don’t eat fast food often but last week I did. I handed the cashier a half dollar to make it easier to make the change. He looked at me completely confused and asked if it was a foreign coin. I had to tell him it was legal American tender worth fifty cents.

I don’t eat fast food often but last week I did. I handed the cashier a half dollar to make it easier to make the change. He looked at me completely confused and asked if it was a foreign coin. I had to tell him it was legal American tender worth fifty cents.

Pretty sad right?

Back
Top Bottom