Ring return number 25! UPDATED 6-23-16

Kapi

Forum Supporter
On Father's day 2016 an active military gentleman along with is wife and four children drove 3 hours to the beach to play in the surf. The surf that day was 4-7 feet which is very rough conditions as our coast was being hit with a Nor'Easter. The father, Michael was playing in the water with his children when he realized his ring felt a little loose and he thought to himself I better put this up on the beach before I lose it. Michael turned to his young son and gave him the ring and told him to take it to mom for safe keeping. Happily the boy put the ring on his thumb and turned to walk out of the water up to his mom when a large wave hit him and knocked him down which in turn sent the ring flying off into the water. The poor boy was pretty upset but the father kept his cool and they spent the next 45 minutes searching for the ring with their fingers and feet hoping to feel it as waves pummeled them. Eventually the father comforted the son and told him it was okay and to not let that ruin his day and to stop looking.

Not too long later they saw my friend Dick metal detecting and showed him where the ring was lost. Dick searched for several hours but because of the waves was not able to find it. That evening Dick told me about the ring and asked if I wanted to go help him grid search the beach Tuesday when the tide was further out and the waves had calmed down some. Of course I jumped at the chance.

Today we got to the beach at 11:00. The tide would have been going out for an hour and a half and we planned to work the tide line as the tide fell lower and lower. I figured I could go about two hours before it became too painful and I'd have to stop. We split the area in half and I took one side and Dick took the other. Carefully we grid searched the entire area. I searched with the DFX and the bigfoot coil and worked the wet sand, Dick used his Excal and searched the water.

There were almost no targets and as I reached the two hour mark I heard that beautiful sound gold makes on my detector and dug the target, a nickel! Nickel, larger pieces of aluminum, zippers, pull tabs and copper all can sound exactly like gold. I searched on. Not too far from the nickel I heard another great signal and dug the target, this time it was a gold ring with the design on it that Michael had described to Dick.

Excitedly I went over to Dick and got Michael's contact information. When I called I asked for Michael XXXXX and you know he's got to be thinking "I don't know this number, who is trying to sell me something." I said Michael I'm not a telemarketer I promise this is good news and told him how Dick had invited me to help him look for the ring and how we'd found his ring. After getting his address I put it in the mail to him today at his request but when he asked if I'd take a reward I told him "No thanks, let ME thank YOU for serving our country and return this to you no charge." :) He was very very very very happy. I wish I could see his child's face when he hears the ring is being returned. God is so good! The glory goes to Him for getting me into this great hobby! I asked him to take a picture of him wearing the ring once he gets it back so I'll update that when I get it. :) The pic of the ring is not so great as I took with my cheap phone and wanted to get it into the mail before going home and my good camera is at home. Ring return number 25!

UPDATE: 6-23-16 I received a photo today of the young man holding the ring after I mailed it to the family. They were all so happy!

Attachments

• Ring return 25 June 21 16.jpg
    Ring return 25 June 21 16.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 406
  • Ring Return 25 Son.jpg
    Ring Return 25 Son.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 334
Love the ring return stories .
Great post. and your 25th return just amaizes me .
Sometimes I just sit here and read reports of finds and reports with my mouth hanging wide open in awe.
HH , Dew

Barb, you are truly amazing. During May I had 4 returns and I loved each and every one of them so I know how excited you become when you can send one home.

The last return was especially sweet because Karma was watching. A young woman called me very upset because she had just moved into her house and she had lost her late mother's ring in her backyard. It was an hour drive but I found her ring shortly after arriving. I asked if I could continue searching her yard.

I was in the front yard and got a penny-dime signal beneath a bush. Four inches down I uncover an eleven inch long gold-silver- diamond bracelet which my wife loves. A couple of links needed repair and the jeweler said its over 50 years old.

Well worth the drive!

Keep up the good work!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 328
Barb, you are truly amazing. During May I had 4 returns and I loved each and every one of them so I know how excited you become when you can send one home.

The last return was especially sweet because Karma was watching. A young woman called me very upset because she had just moved into her house and she had lost her late mother's ring in her backyard. It was an hour drive but I found her ring shortly after arriving. I asked if I could continue searching her yard.

I was in the front yard and got a penny-dime signal beneath a bush. Four inches down I uncover an eleven inch long gold-silver- diamond bracelet which my wife loves. A couple of links needed repair and the jeweler said its over 50 years old.

Well worth the drive!

Keep up the good work!

WOW!!! That makes me want to detect yards :)

Back
Top Bottom