Crooked Deals

photosnick64

I heard about this a few weeks back in Lincoln and Omaha Nebraska. Someone called coin dealers asking if they would buy their gold coins. They took blurry dark photos of gold wrapped chocolate coins as proof of their "gold". The dealers decided to meet them somewhere in the city. At this point the crooks beat up the dealers and stole the cash they had brought to purchase the coins. It happened twice within a two week period. It amazes me what people are capable of doing to other people. Just thought everyone should know.

If i'm dealing with someone i don't know i always meet them in a starbucks or a nicer cafe at a hotel with security....

If i'm dealing with someone i don't know i always meet them in a starbucks or a nicer cafe at a hotel with security....

If your meeting someone and are carrying lots of $ you should always do it in a public place. Also why not tell the guy come into my shop if they have one.

I would bring a tazer.

I think if someone tried it on me though they wouldn't get far. I'm a super fast runner and not stopping in till I'm knocked out or dead.

Also never meet in any parking lot always go inside the store.

First and foremost, if someone can't even get me a good picture of thousands of dollars worth of gold coins I don't think I'd be too game to meet them.

I would bring a tazer.

yea ...tazer them and eat their chocolate
jack.jpg

This has happened several times in the Omaha area (where I live) recently. Another reason I have a CCW and carry a Glock.

Once...

This one time...at band camp...

A couple months back I responded to what looked like a hot opportunity on a silver tea set.
The guy wanted me (it was also a craigslist ad) to come to his "apartment"--a loft in an alley behind a transmission shop.

Sadly in today's society you just can't be to careful. I'm licensed to carry and would never meet someone unless I was sure of a secure location. Even then, I like to bring back up.

Have to kind of wonder if the coin dealers were a little crooked as well, and the whole deal wasn't quite legitimate, but they figured they could get away with it. Gold and cash in a public place is only slightly safer then in a parking lot or back alley, lots of greedy eyes...

You really have to pick your place to do business carefully. Lots of video security in most places, think I'd pick one where it was obvious to all who enter. If the guy seems a little camera shy, I'm out of there. Just not into shady deals, saving a few bucks, isn't worth dying over, which is getting way too common these days.

I've sold guns on gun broker and there are armed robberies from gun broker meetings like that all the time, including a guy who had a concealed firearm. They not only took his money but his firearm also in broad daylight. Plus dont think id want to get in a shootout in a mall with some desperate criminals. My cop friends were investigating half dozen of these gun broker robberies. Theres nothing you can do 5 on 1. One guy I sold to was mad because he only lived 30 minutes from me but I made him go to the gun shop and pick up his gun and pay the additional $30 process fee. He pleaded and pleaded and sent me angry emails. Never worth the risk.

My wife gets mad at me when i buy things from people on craigslist. Says i shouldn't go alone to meet them. I have been to some crazy homes and almost some bad situations. The Glock has my back, also carry a good sharp knife for a back up when i cant carry at work

NEVER Go to meet them!

If you have a shop, insist they come to you - home field advantage - and if you do have to meet them, go there first and scope out the area, look for escape routes and "friends" ie. cops and security desks etc. If it's that much cash involved, you may be able to hire an off-duty police officer or even co-ordinate with the PD. They may just want to see who's meeting you.... And as much in favor of a CCW and my Springfield V10 as I am, it's useless if they get the drop on you.

I always make sellers come to me and meet them at my bank, it's never failed once. Also I head to my office after the transction never home just incase.

Back
Top Bottom