Coil options for AT MAX?

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
I'm relatively new to the hobby. I have always used the stock coil on my 350 and AT MAX. I like the DD coil, but have nothing to compare it to.
What are the advantages to using other sized coils?
What would you suggest someone with an AT MAX have in their coil arsenal?
Does the coil have to be a Garrett brand to work?
Do you change out your coil often?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

The 5x8 will be quieter. Allows you to hear good targets that are in with bad targets. The magnetic field is more concentrated within a smaller area. Easier to maneuver around junk to find good targets. Allows you to hear separate signals of metal close to other metals.

I've actually upsized TWICE from the original Stock AT coil.

First to the NEL Hunter, then to the NEL Thunder.

Each was a slightly larger footprint.

I have to say, for my style of hunting, it's been FANTASTIC. Lots of people love the 5x8, but the #1 problem for me was ground coverage in a fixed period of time. By increasing the coil footprint size, I'm able to almost double the coverage in each additional sweep. I do not hunt in "heavily" trashy areas, but when I hit them, the DD coil of the NEL Thunder is more than capable of separating targets. In fact the slightly larger NEL Thunder picked out and separated targets better than the stock coil did. It was amazing.

Bottom line is that I've doubled my "take" of found objects with a larger coil. I can burn up a soccer field like never before, and the larger size makes it MUCH easier to sweep evenly with a nice shuffle-gait.

Again, not to knock the 5x8 (it's lightweight and amazing at target separation), but if you have the arm strength to swing a bigger coil, and more coverage will net you more objects, then larger may be the way to go.

Note... it DOES take extra arm strength. It's a lot of weight at the end of that rod, to go all the way to the Hunter from the stock. If you do upgrade, I recommend starting without the coil covers, and then adding them as you get stronger. My arm accommodated it all after a month or two, and I can hunt for 4 hours without problems again. (plus, I'm now stronger. LOL)

Also... I do not change coils anymore. No need. I love the larger coil. I only hold onto the old stock as a backup (I once had a kid step on my coil in a park and break the cable... having a backup would have been nice!)

Cheers!

Skippy

Even though the NEL and CORS coils are close enough to work on the Max I've noticed the ID is a couple numbers too low on higher conductors. I suspect they will come out with a Max specific version at some point.

Even though the NEL and CORS coils are close enough to work on the Max I've noticed the ID is a couple numbers too low on higher conductors. I suspect they will come out with a Max specific version at some point.

Interesting. As long as they're consistently, low, that wouldn't be an issue though. Can you confirm they don't go low, then go high without any reason?

it might also be fixed by a future firmware revision in the Garrett AT Max, too...

I know I had a VDI shift of 1-2 points on my AT Pro when I sent it in for repairs... Apparently the firmware was like 3-4 years old on my original machine. The new firmware lowered the VDI. Of course, that's not like switching a coil, but it could be some sort of sensitivity to the signal or the way the processor digests a larger field that needs a little tightening up...

coils

I agree . If theres no garbage in the ground I use the Nel Big 15x17.Typical home sites in even a small city if theres junk the big ones no good. there you go , now just choose what you need. Advantages to both. Just depends on what your going to hunt. I highly recommend getting both, then your covered.

I do not hunt in "heavily" trashy areas, but when I hit them, the DD coil of the NEL Thunder is more than capable of separating targets. In fact the slightly larger NEL Thunder picked out and separated targets better than the stock coil did. It was amazing.

Bottom line is that I've doubled my "take" of found objects with a larger coil. I can burn up a soccer field like never before, and the larger size makes it MUCH easier to sweep evenly with a nice shuffle-gait.

Cheers!

Skippy

This NEL Thunder sounds intriguing. Better separation than the stock Garrett DD and faster coverage? I better start working on my arm strength!

This NEL Thunder sounds intriguing. Better separation than the stock Garrett DD and faster coverage? I better start working on my arm strength!

It kind of blew me away that it could separate slightly better. And the coverage going from a 9x11 to a 10.5x14.5 felt a heck of a lot bigger than 3.5". Sure, that's only like 31% more, but it feels like I find about 2x the stuff.

I think the hardest part about making the switch from the Stock AT to the NEL Hunter, and then onto the NEL Thunder WAS the arm strength required. It was not quite so bad the Stock to the Hunter (which is only 1.5" more) but the separation was INCREDIBLE with the NEL coil I literally pulled a gold off a rebar in a park I'd hit probably a dozen times previously. I know the ring was there, because it was 5" down, literally sitting within a half-inch of the rebar. Little thing, too just 2.4 grams. The AT Pro bounced the signal enough with the Hunter that I could pick it off. It was like my 3rd hunt with the Hunter, and I was sold at that point. Went home and did some tests, and the DD coil is no slouch on the NEL.

I do have to say, it was a BEAST of a change from the Hunter to the Thunder. Quite a bit of extra weight. Arm hurt every time I went out for the first few trips. Felt like I'd picked up a detector for the first time. The thing was, I was finding so much more that the intially reduced times

When I looked at the NEL Thunder vs. the NEL Big, the extra .5 inches of length wasn't worth the extra weight on top of it. Plus, the BIG is wider (more circular), making it just a touch harder to clip edges of things, like tot-lot concrete.

if you do make the switch, be prepared to spend a couple of months working up the arm strength to run the Thunder... but at that point, the world is yours. When you're talking about the difference between four hours of hunting and 6 hours of hunting to cover a soccer field, in a two week period, I can cover 3 fields for every 2 that I used to do. The find rate goes up accordingly. Plus, the signal quality is high enough (better than the NEL BIG) that I still pick up tiny stuff.

And when I say "tiny stuff," I really mean TINY stuff. I pulled a pin-head sized metal button out of a tot-lot two days ago. 52-53 signal. Took about twice as long to find it with the pin pointer than I expected, and probably only did, because it stuck to my glove. I couldn't believe the coil hit on it. I've found plenty of earrings, but never considered just how small the coil could really detect. (Ground balance at 92).

Amazing coils.

It kind of blew me away that it could separate slightly better. And the coverage going from a 9x11 to a 10.5x14.5 felt a heck of a lot bigger than 3.5". Sure, that's only like 31% more, but it feels like I find about 2x the stuff.

I think the hardest part about making the switch from the Stock AT to the NEL Hunter, and then onto the NEL Thunder WAS the arm strength required. It was not quite so bad the Stock to the Hunter (which is only 1.5" more) but the separation was INCREDIBLE with the NEL coil I literally pulled a gold off a rebar in a park I'd hit probably a dozen times previously. I know the ring was there, because it was 5" down, literally sitting within a half-inch of the rebar. Little thing, too just 2.4 grams. The AT Pro bounced the signal enough with the Hunter that I could pick it off. It was like my 3rd hunt with the Hunter, and I was sold at that point. Went home and did some tests, and the DD coil is no slouch on the NEL.

I do have to say, it was a BEAST of a change from the Hunter to the Thunder. Quite a bit of extra weight. Arm hurt every time I went out for the first few trips. Felt like I'd picked up a detector for the first time. The thing was, I was finding so much more that the intially reduced times

When I looked at the NEL Thunder vs. the NEL Big, the extra .5 inches of length wasn't worth the extra weight on top of it. Plus, the BIG is wider (more circular), making it just a touch harder to clip edges of things, like tot-lot concrete.

if you do make the switch, be prepared to spend a couple of months working up the arm strength to run the Thunder... but at that point, the world is yours. When you're talking about the difference between four hours of hunting and 6 hours of hunting to cover a soccer field, in a two week period, I can cover 3 fields for every 2 that I used to do. The find rate goes up accordingly. Plus, the signal quality is high enough (better than the NEL BIG) that I still pick up tiny stuff.

And when I say "tiny stuff," I really mean TINY stuff. I pulled a pin-head sized metal button out of a tot-lot two days ago. 52-53 signal. Took about twice as long to find it with the pin pointer than I expected, and probably only did, because it stuck to my glove. I couldn't believe the coil hit on it. I've found plenty of earrings, but never considered just how small the coil could really detect. (Ground balance at 92).

Amazing coils.

Thanks Skippy! I have seen conflicting reports about the NEL Thunder coil working with the AT MAX. I just want to make sure that it is compatible before I order. have you heard either way?

Thank you. What would be the advantages or applications for the 5 by 8?

I added the 5x8 on my ATP about a month or so ago. Made a huge difference in the trashy park I usually hunt. Went back to a couple of places I'd previously hunted and was amazed at the difference in separation from trash and targets. Been cleaning up on the clad there. I feel if I were to go an area with little or no trash I would use the stock, but for now I'm very impressed with the 5x8 and will continue to use it for the areas I tend to hunt.

I got the 5x8 mainly due to where I hunt... really trashy parks and schools. If I was a field hunter I would definitely have gotten a trash can lid size coil to cover more area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 5x8 will be quieter. Allows you to hear good targets that are in with bad targets. The magnetic field is more concentrated within a smaller area. Easier to maneuver around junk to find good targets. Allows you to hear separate signals of metal close to other metals.

easier to do longer hunts, less weight. I use it most of the time except when doing fields and beaches. It is also good in areas with lots of trees and bushes.

You wont get any support running a Pro coil in the max. Working is hit or miss.

However, NEL and CORS will have AT Max specific and warranteed/supported coils available soon.

Any idea when NEL will have AT MAX specific coils available? I definitely want to wait for them. I think in the meantime i will order me a 5x8. Or I will wait until the spring to make a decision. Thanks for all the advice and info.

Back
Top Bottom