Just got my Equinox 6" coil! And Q about EQ update

Texaspast

Elite Member
I just got my coil in the mail today from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies Metal Detectors - great deal and GREAT service! I'm going to try to sneak off this afternoon with it to some super trashy older sites and see what happens. I have not installed the update on my Equinox 600 - does it help the 600 much? I have seen some folks had a problem with it changing readings etc. and just want to know if it is worth the hassle to do it (I know - no big hassle to install it, but maybe a hassle to undo it).

Hi:

I am curious about this too. I just received my 6" coil. I have already updated my Equinox. Wondering if the update will be OK with my new coil. Have read where a few folks say that after the update their 6" coils did not work as well. New to all of this so I am trying soak up all the information I can.

Regards,

Steve

Well, I only got in about 20 minutes today in a group of baseball fields that date back to at least the mid-'40s and are still in use - a solid city block. I've worked it for years and I've found Wheaties and a couple of mercs and several silver rosies there and lots of clad, but it is SUPER trashy - decades of pull tabs, nails and bolts from the bleachers, chain link fencing bits, electrical bits, everything you can imagine. I went directly to the most trashy part and went to work. I've worked this area with the MXT small coil, too, and that was fruitful. Even with the small coil on the Equinox 600 and working slow it still was nearly non-stop trash targets. I'm running in Park 2. Working very slowly I can pick out high tones in among the mid-level tones - the recovery time is so fast! In that short time I got a number of clads and copper lincolns - no silver or wheats yet, but I expect them to come. Bottom line - I LOVE this coil!

Hi Everyone:

I received my 6” coil yesterday. Hooked it up real quick when I got home and took it out before the rains started here. I am using an equinox 800 on park 1 with the update. I live in an RV park and the EMI here can get pretty bad at times. Went out near my rig and within the first few minutes I found a quarter about six inches down. Went a few feet and found a nickel at about 4”. My last find before the rain started was a penny about 5-6”. The other really great thing I noticed is how quiet my machine was. I was able to run the sensitivity at 23 with no problem! Can’t wait to go hunting tomorrow after the weather clears. Thank you all for your help and advice!

Regards,

Steve

Hi Everyone:

I forgot to mention that tomorrow I will hunting at our tent camping area in the RV park where I live. It is very trashy area so I am going to give the 6” coil a good workout. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks,

Steve

Reading on how people appreciate their new 6" coils, but which of the 6" coils are you referring to?

Minelab Equinox 6" Double-D Smart Coil

Minelab X-TERRA 6" DD 18.75 khz coil

Minelab CTX 06 Smart Coil

Reading on how people appreciate their new 6" coils, but which of the 6" coils are you referring to?

Minelab Equinox 6" Double-D Smart Coil

Minelab X-TERRA 6" DD 18.75 khz coil

Minelab CTX 06 Smart Coil

The thread is titled "Just got my Equinox 6" coil! And Q about EQ update"...just saying.

I just got my 6" Equinox coil on Friday from a forum sponsor. Slapped it on, did a full reset, and found a '23 Mercury dime within an hour at my trashy park. It was only about 5-6" down and in an area I had hammered previously with the stock coil but was sitting between a zinc penny and a square tab.

One observation, the thing will not ignore rusty square nails no matter how high I set iron bias...I get high tones and vdi in the 20s from more than one direction.

Other than that, the coil is great and I'm getting depth comparable to the stock coil in my soil.

The thread is titled "Just got my Equinox 6" coil! And Q about EQ update"...just saying.

I just got my 6" Equinox coil on Friday from a forum sponsor. Slapped it on, did a full reset, and found a '23 Mercury dime within an hour at my trashy park. It was only about 5-6" down and in an area I had hammered previously with the stock coil but was sitting between a zinc penny and a square tab.

One observation, the thing will not ignore rusty square nails no matter how high I set iron bias...I get high tones and vdi in the 20s from more than one direction.

Other than that, the coil is great and I'm getting depth comparable to the stock coil in my soil.

"One observation, the thing will not ignore rusty square nails no matter how high I set iron bias"

Are you using the new software update and getting more of these nail?

"One observation, the thing will not ignore rusty square nails no matter how high I set iron bias"

Are you using the new software update and getting more of these nail?

Sorry, forgot to mention...yes I'm using the new software.

Would you say that ver. 1.5 was just as bad for digging rusty nails?

I'm specifically referring to the new 6" coil and it's apparent fondness for rusty square nails even with the iron bias set to 9. I have no idea what v1.5 was like with the 6", as I just got the coil 2 days ago and I had already been running v1.75. However, I can say this, I hardly ever dug rusty nails with the stock coil with either version of the software. It's something about that 6" coil.

Honestly, had I been checking targets with the AM/horseshoe button, I probably wouldn't have dug any of the nails, but I generally forget about that function. When I get a good signal I rotate 90°, and if it still sounds good I dig, and that's what I experienced with the nails. I will have to start checking targets with AM when using the 6" coil from now on.

Last edited:
Thanks. I experienced that yet didn't want to think I just hit a nail infested spot back then. I decided to go back to 1.5 in the short term. It treated me well in good finds right after I got the machine. The 6" is still in the early days though.

Back
Top Bottom