Anyone Geocaching?

sounds to me more like a scavenger hunt or kissing your sister, but certainly interesting at peeps ingenuity on a hobby...................... :yes:

I was out at a park detecting this afternoon (I already found all the caches there) when I ran into some other geocachers. Another cool thing about caching is the cool people you meet.

Found a bunch today, but not so for the detector, only found 11 cents. A dime and a penny :(

My Daughter and I have been geocaching for a couple of weeks now and enjoy it alot. We had about 50% finds this weekend, some of them are pretty hard to locate even with a GPS. Its a great sport.
Good Luck
SD

I went out Sat, Sun, and this morning have 8 finds and am having a ball. My navigation skills have all come back and I feel great with all the hiking I am doing. I have met some nice folks and am trying to network some mding sites out of them. :!: The dogs like all the walks they are getting. Cladius.

Our family loves geocaching!!!
My hubby swore it would teach me directions but I think I'm a lost cause.
We have found many places that we would never had know were there if not for Geocaching!
We are preparing for our first try at hidding one and we have 2 travel bugs that the boys are going to race and study every where they stop!

I've been geocaching for several years now. It is a lot of fun and you get some excersise at the same time. I started with an Garmin ETREX Legend and have since upgraded to the Garmin GPSMAP60C.

What's nice about geocaching is that if the area looks to be good for detecting, you just mark it as a waypoint and you can get back to it with your detector at a later date. I use the GPS alot for just this purpose.

Jim

hmm Geocaching seems fun. When you find a cache, what do you do if you don't want to take anything?

If you don't want to exchange anything, then just sign the log and replace the cache exactly (or better) than found. Then when you report the find on geocaching.com, in your post tell them you didn't exchange anything.

I think there is a special code they use for "Didn't take anything, didn't leave anything."

that would be TNLN which stands for Took Nothing, Left Nothing which is fine, that's what I do 99.9% of the time. Well, actually I often leave my signature card. Just some terminology here:

SL- Signed log
DNF- Did not find
TFTC/TFTF- Thanks for the cache/ thanks for the find
KOC-keep on caching
muggle-non geocacher

Keep in mind if you only log online TNLN SL TFTC, that's generally taken as meaning "I didn't like your cache, it was boring, hide sucked, etc" As an owner of 10 cache hides with 2 more on the way, I love reading long logs about the person's experience finding it.

Jeff and I hunted a spot yesterday that I found while geocaching. We found a few very old buttons. Cladius.

Carol K said:
If you don't want to exchange anything, then just sign the log and replace the cache exactly (or better) than found. Then went you report the find on geocaching.com, in your post tell them you didn't exchange anything.

I think there is a special code they use for "Didn't take anything, didn't leave anything."

ah ok, thanks. Theres a cache near me that i might check out, thanks for the info :)

Found our Second GeoCache

We went out yesterday to find our second cache that is located about 3 miles south of us. It was a nice day even though not many people were out enjoying the park.

Using our PDA, which has the Beeline software, we took off for picnic area 5. We went to the location that the PDA said it was and searched for about 2 hours LOL (we are not good at this yet)

We just about gave up, and went back to the picnic shelter and rebooted the PDA. From the picnic area location, the PDA said the cache was 170 feet from us. So Vlad decided to just walk a straight line and then turn towards the cache. He said he thought that the waypoint had to be approached from different directions to get a true reading. :?:

Anyway, the whole time we were looking around I felt uncomfortable, and was wishing I at least had my detector so that we would look like we were doing something. (and I always get the feeling someone is watching us with binoculars!)

He walked towards the area where the cache was supposed to be, and lo and behold, just happened to spot it under an overhang.

We did a TNLN since we left the house and forgot some trinkets. :(

Attachments

• boothehunt.jpg
    boothehunt.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 959
  • boothecache.jpg
    boothecache.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 934
  • boothecacheitems.jpg
    boothecacheitems.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 947
congrats, I just finished placing my newest hide today, took me a little over 3 hours to place and get coords for this 5 part multi, it was approved a few hours later.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=773d98b0-00a0-4847-a523-4a95cd8359c2

looks like there was a travel bug in that cache you found too, that can become a hobby within a hobby. I'm not huge on the travel bugs myself, but there are some local cachers in my area that really get into moving them. In fact I only live about 20 some miles from the top travel bug movers in the world. They have a cache right in their yard specifically for trading of bugs. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they moved that one in the pic above lol :lol:

btw don't worry, you'll get better at finding them as time goes on. When I first started it took me a while to find them too, now on a lot of them I'll get within 40 feet and I'll put the GPS away because the hiding spot is already obvious to me.

But there are still those that get me multiple times, usually they are the nanos, some of those are downright evil. think eraser-sized magnetic container hidden on the underside of a fire hydrant :lol:

Thanks for the info on the Travel Bugs. The one in the pic turns out it was from Florida. Way Cool. I can see how it could become an addicting hobby. The dollar wasn't a Where's George either.

You mention in your new hide about geojunk. Would you consider most of the items above geojunk? Or are they placed for the kids geocaching with the parents?

What kind of items would you suggest as a good exchange? We thought about doing coins like Buffalo Nickels or Mercs.

Congrads on your 5 part multi hide, that's a big :wow:

Oh yeah, (well you probably know this,) but the silver ring in your profile is a Girl Scout ring. Very nice find.

here's the original contents of the multi above, I think I put a little over $25 into swag for this hide

originalcontents.jpg

Basically, when I refer to geojunk I'm refering to used items, McDonald's toys, things out of a gumball machine, basically something that wasn't worth about the same as what you took out for it. There was a cacher in our area that left moist towlettes for good trade items! Just try to use common sense in swag items. The old coins are excellent swag, I've read a lot online a lot of cachers love stuff like that.

The cache in the pic looks to be fairly well stocked. You already have a great idea with the mercs and buffalo nickels. Just something with a little value, something that another cacher could actually use make the best swag. (the matchstick containers in the photo above can be used to make new caches) Basically, put something in the cache you would like to find in one.

There are actually 2 multis within 20 miles of the one I just placed that are bigger actually, one is 8 stages and the other is 9. Thanks for the comments.

btw I you referring to the ring in my most recent finds post? If that's what you were refering to, I had no idea it was a girl scout ring.

Hi Tsmola, thanks for the tips. And what a great geocache you have set up! (Of course a 5 part multi should have a great swag because of the effort put into finding it, yes?)

As far as the Girl Scout ring, I was referring to the one in your profile on geocaching.com.

It's amazing you have found another hefty one in the environment you were hunting.

People lose stuff everywhere!

It's raining here all weekend, I guess we're not going anywhere. :(

o.o the cache i was thinking about searching for disapeared! glad I didn't go yet, i'm trying to find something decent for trade.

ohhhhh! lol it took me a few mins to realize what ring you were talking about, duh the one I uploaded to a cache log duhhhh :roll: lol

yeah I've tried to stock all my caches with good swag (those that can hold swag that is) I've gotten good responses on all my caches, the little extra effort put into some is well worth it.

btw, here's some cache containers that just came in the mail fresh from Ebay, the locals dropped a few of these on me already so I felt it was about time to return the favor.

magneticcontainers.jpg

they are magnetic, these can be really devilish to find, I found one of these on a fire hydrant.

Back
Top Bottom