Cold can't shut me out!

EmuDetector

Forum Supporter
With winter approaching, and global warming not keeping it away, I am managing to still get as much time in the woods as I can even if it means freezing a bit. Back to my colonial/civ site and I managed to grab TWO awesome buttons. First being a 1798-1810 US Navy button! It was a sweet break from the normal flat buttons in the area. The next one that came out was a huge button wrapped in a tight ball of clay. After some careful cleaning, I found the gilt was still hidden inside (sorry no before pictures). Ended up finding out that it was a 5th Massachusetts Volunteer Militia button. Their troops were stationed nearby to defend DC in 1861 for about 90 days and at the end of their tour they volunteered to hike to Bull Run to push back against the southern troops. I also landed my first ever thimbles, some more minie balls, a dog license, and a couple other flat buttons. Check out the photos below and thanks for looking!

tried to change the light to see if it looks better

Very cool buttons & lead, some nice history right there. Good work!

I spent 4 hours hunting in a Nor' Easter yesterday with 30 mph winds and rain and got nothing except a brass coat hook ---- and very wet, lol. :(

Thanks guys! Right as I thought the area was getting hunted out, those cool buttons pop up...guess I am spending more time in there.

Very cool buttons & lead, some nice history right there. Good work!

I spent 4 hours hunting in a Nor' Easter yesterday with 30 mph winds and rain and got nothing except a brass coat hook ---- and very wet, lol. :(

Glad to see someone else in the die hard detector team :lol:
I spend this time of year searching about 30 minutes, warming my numb fingers for about 10, then searching again for 30.

Found the same mass button on a courthouse grounds in Maryland, far away from Civil War activity, so those troops must have really gotten around

Found the same mass button on a courthouse grounds in Maryland, far away from Civil War activity, so those troops must have really gotten around

They did! Check out their Wikipedia. They were called back into service in 1864 to back the defenses of DC. They were stationed around Baltimore for about 100 days.

IF you keep having the success you are having than it is all most certain you will eventually dig a plate. And if you need some help on that site I am available (lol).

Hopefully so! The area is getting thinner for finds, but we could work out a location trade if you stop by. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom