Ace 250 DD 10X14 Coil Test Drive.

Sonny b

Elite Member
I purchased the 10X14 from Kellyco about a month ago. They were up front with me about delivery time because the were on back order and were waiting for a shipment coming from Europe. It arrived in just over three weeks. I have sense put about four hours on it and here is my initial assessment. The following is by no means an attempt to encourage anyone to buy one or to not. I am careful to give you the honest facts as I see them. First, Its as big as a snow shoe and little cumbersome and floppy. It seems to eat batteries fairly quickly but I was not using my head phones. I put the machine on my kitchen table for an air test and here are the honest to god results. I placed a wooden yard stick through the coil for the measurements. My gold wedding band pinged solidly at 13 and 3/4 inches and pinged one way at 14. I was pretty impressed with that. Then I swung a walking liberty half and a merc. Both pinged solidly at 12 inches on the dot. Then to the field. In all metal at a trashy park it pinged all over the place like an old pinball machine at standard sense. Then in coin mode it performed markedly better.However unlike the standard coil it will not disc out bottle caps. It sees them all as quarters. I know this because I dug a hat full of them. But to its credit some of them were fairly deep. Didn't find any silver. If it was there I should have been able to find it however I did dig some clad and junk at 6 to seven inches in hard packed very dry dirt. From my experience here in my part of Texas some of that would have been out of reach of my stock coil. Sooooo, I'm glad to have it in my bag and will use it in low trash areas that I have cleaned up. Or for field and wooded area hunting for old coins and deep relics. The 10X14 will go deep like a much more expensive unit but It doesn't Identify very well. If you are prepared to dig a lot of junk out of real deep holes in order to find the good stuff then buy one. If not, don't. In summary. It sees gold from a long way away but you may not know what it is until you dig a pretty sizable hole. Thanks for reading and sorry so long.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on this coil. I'm sure a lot of ACE 250 users want to know how it performs. Myself included. When you did your bench test what did you have the sensitivity set at?

Thanks for posting your thoughts on this coil. I'm sure a lot of ACE 250 users want to know how it performs. Myself included. When you did your bench test what did you have the sensitivity set at?

Qball, I had the machine in all metal at max sensitivity. I was actually surprised that it saw my wedding band two inches farther out than that big old walking liberty half dollar. Sonny

mine don't pinpoint very well, but If you use the front of the coil X ing it does pretty good. I have only used mine at th beach in dry sand. It seem to go several inches deeper than the standard coil and covers a lot more area per swing. So far it is worth the money to me.

mine don't pinpoint very well, but If you use the front of the coil X ing it does pretty good. I have only used mine at th beach in dry sand. It seem to go several inches deeper than the standard coil and covers a lot more area per swing. So far it is worth the money to me.

I agree it is worth the money and it does go deeper and I am certainly keeping mine. I forget to mention the pin pointing. After a couple of holes i figured it out and it was really pretty easy to me.

Thanks for info....I'm liking my ace more and more every day. I'm saving clad for more coils instead of a more expensive detector. THANKS!

Thanks for info....I'm liking my ace more and more every day. I'm saving clad for more coils instead of a more expensive detector. THANKS!

Hey Rob, I am thinking about buying the small sniper coil and the 9x12 for my 250. Think about it. With a sniper coil, the standard 6X9, the 9X12, and the 10X14 and a simple to use light weight Ace 250 base unit you can make a sandwich, a thermos of coffee, grab a couple bottles of water out of the fridge, throw your gear bag in the car, show up just about anywhere in any conditions and be flexible enough to hunt even if you don't know where your going till ya get there. Or you decide to jump around from one location to another. Say your sniping close to a fence in a tot lot and a friend calls and tells you he is diggin silver at an old house (real friends will do that:lol:) and for you to come and get in on it. You speed over there pull the sniper off put on a deep coil and get in the hunt. Genius I think.

Sounds so easy! Anyway, dad was a big coon hunter. Most of time he had walkers. I miss them dogs. Most places he hunted are cities/towns now. And people fear pitbulls....ty to get between that coon and the dog...yeah right! Happy hunting with the ace!

Sounds so easy! Anyway, dad was a big coon hunter. Most of time he had walkers. I miss them dogs. Most places he hunted are cities/towns now. And people fear pitbulls....ty to get between that coon and the dog...yeah right! Happy hunting with the ace!

:lol: If I could just teach my Black and Tan coon dog to dig signals I would be set. But the pinging irritates her. :lol:

Hey Sonny that hound isn't related to Ski whiz is she . That ping irritates him also , but to me the ping means money . lol

Harold

Hey Sonny that hound isn't related to Ski whiz is she . That ping irritates him also , but to me the ping means money . lol

Harold

:lol::lol::lol: I think it is time for an intervention. Maybe I can call this guy I know in Dallas and get my Scuba dog and Ski whiz together for some insight and understanding. Ski uses these machines that can't see an F 16 in shrink wrap yet the ping of money and jewels from an Ace annoy him as they do my dog Scuba! I'll try to string something together. And please understand. It is only out of love for them that I have to make these hard choices. :lol::lol::lol:(Can't wait till Ski sees this). Sonny:shock::p

How far down will an Ace with the stock coil pick up a coin, like a quarter or a silver dime or something? Assume dry, hard packed dirt.

How far down will an Ace with the stock coil pick up a coin, like a quarter or a silver dime or something? Assume dry, hard packed dirt.

Honestly, in dry hard packed summer dirt about 5 inches max. Although I have pulled silver quarters at 7 in wet dirt and halves at 8 inches in wet dirt and beer cans at 16 plus inches. You have to be careful though when talking about how deep a machine will go. All I know is West Central Texas dirt. Where you are may be totally different. But like I stated, I am not trying to sell anyone on the 250 or the coils. Just stating what I have found out about the unit as it applies to the dirt where I live. Thanks for a great question though. Sonny

:lol::lol::lol: I think it is time for an intervention. Maybe I can call this guy I know in Dallas and get my Scuba dog and Ski whiz together for some insight and understanding. Ski uses these machines that can't see an F 16 in shrink wrap yet the ping of money and jewels from an Ace annoy him as they do my dog Scuba! I'll try to string something together. And please understand. It is only out of love for them that I have to make these hard choices. :lol::lol::lol:(Can't wait till Ski sees this). Sonny:shock::p
And to think I use to like this Sonny b guy :lol::lol::lol:. This goes for you to Harold :p:lol::lol::lol:.

Back
Top Bottom