• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Best container for a waterproof Sovereign

VBDave

Trying to decide between waterproofing my XS2A with a10" Tornado coil, or buying a new White's DF. I know the difference between the VLF and the PI. My considerations: Seems like East Coast conditions favor fresh drops in deep water for big gold, at least until the right storm comes along. Don't want to drop $1400 on an Excal to get in the water, and I think the PI will give me an edge in depth in the sanded in mess I play in. BUT...if I can get my Sovereign chest deep for minimal cash, I'll take the loss in depth vs the PI and go that route, not digging trash. Need to hear the best container and source for waterproofing my Sovereign. I'll be chest mounting the box. I'd prefer a bag instead of a hard case. Thanks!

gsi box or west marine sells a nice one

box, two cable clams.....glue............nylon belting......any a way to carry it.
done deal
change coils in 3 mins. or less, headphones in 15. secs..............wave and rain proof.

get with beechnut and he will get u a pin point switch for your switching....:)...:)

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,832
  • fastharness3.jpg
    fastharness3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,793
  • NEWBOX1.jpg
    NEWBOX1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,127
  • NEWBOX3.jpg
    NEWBOX3.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,833
  • NEWBOX7.jpg
    NEWBOX7.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,795
  • NEWBOX4.jpg
    NEWBOX4.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,793
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,676
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,737
I've seen this Heater in Action..Nothing to be left in its trail..One nice machine..may have to tear my SE apart this winter since I hate pennies

box, two cable clams.....glue............nylon belting......any a way to carry it.
done deal
change coils in 3 mins. or less, headphones in 15. secs..............wave and rain proof.

get with beechnut and he will get u a pin point switch for your switching....:)...:)

what is the big white thing the coil cable goes in to ?

the box is a tight fit

so it is easier to make a short extension for coil wire and metaljacket to slide into.

just two pvc fitting sanded flat and screwed/glued to end so clam can attach to that.....on GSI box only.

if the Plano waterproof tackel box is used, it is not needed.....or any other box that is little larger.

Attachments

• ALMOSTBOX2.jpg
    ALMOSTBOX2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,640
  • ALMOSTBOX3.jpg
    ALMOSTBOX3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,645
  • BOTTOMBOX640.jpg
    BOTTOMBOX640.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,721
  • BOXX5.jpg
    BOXX5.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,597
  • BOXX6.jpg
    BOXX6.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,699
  • OC11414.jpg
    OC11414.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,656
Love it. Looks like a fun project.

Now to find a box big enough for one of these...

Attachments

• TDI_pro.jpg
    TDI_pro.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,587
Thanks for all the replies

I'm still looking for an example using a bag instead of a hard box. Anyone?

Go down to the Cable clam thread. OBN put his Sovereign in a bag. Not a good picture. Maybe he can PM you with a better one. I got the bag and large cable clam. I'm going to have to get a plastic piece for the inside of the bag. I plan on running both cables through one clam. That is why I got the large. I am also going with the 9 x 12 Dry Pak Bag. Or at least I'm going to try. The 12 x 16 is big. I'm trying to keep it as portable as possible. The Elite I have looks like it will have room in the bag to screw the coil wire on the back. That looks like another 3 inches. Like I said in an earlier post. I picked up the Elite for this purpose. It was really beat up. It it leaks I'm only out about 250.00. I don't know how much water hunting I will do this season. But come next season I'll be ready. Until then it might be the GT in the knee deep.

Let me fire up the Polaroid Dave, have you some pics in the morning, any special shots you want..

Thanks!

Let me fire up the Polaroid Dave, have you some pics in the morning, any special shots you want..

What ever shots you think will enlighten me. I'm likely going to put the whole affair in a small backpack, so I might go with a larger bag to reduce cable bending and chafing at the corners.

I just ordered the 1460 Plano box. Found it at OpticsPlanet.com (I know the owners, but this is NOT an ad.. found the price first on Google)..

They have a free shipping deal where if you spend $30 you get free shipping.

Box was $24.99 and I got a 10X loupe for $5 .. total was $30 in all with shipping.

Anyone that can't find one locally should consider this.

Should have my XS-2a PRO sometime next week and will document the box build.

Back
Top Bottom