• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

My custom Harbor Freight 9 Function Metal Detector (MD6008)

TCosbyJr

Forum Supporter
I recently purchased a metal detector through Harbor Freight, item #67378, listed as a 9 function metal detector. I bought it new for only $45.99 (including sales tax, and shipping costs) - as I had a 20% off coupon.

For the price I figured it would be fun to experiment with and have a back-up for friends and family to play with in the backyard. In the last few years all the reviews really rave about how well it works for the price so I couldn't resist.

It arrived safe and sound and looked like this...

tcosbyjr-md6008-0.jpg

It took 6 AA batteries and was ready to go. After using it in the backyard I quickly learned it had more potential that it was given credit for! Indeed the plastic armrest is flimsy, and is strange to hold/use (due to the grip design) - but it was doing some great depths and had excellent discrimination (it can even disc out nearly all trash and clad coins, if wanted, except a quarter and half-dollar).

Here are the air tests of the stock HF 9 function metal detector, also known as the manufacturer number MD6008 - with the detector set in DISC mode with the DISC knob at 10:00 o'clock with maximum sensitivity...

Stock detector air test depths -
14K Gold Ring - 6.25"
Penny - 6.75"
Nickle - 6.25"
Clad Dime - 6.25"
Silver Dime - 6.50"
Clad Quarter - 7.50"
Silver Quarter - 7.25"
Half-Dollar - 8"

I took many other air tests, with 19 different objects (as I always do), in the different settings and DISC positions. I decided it was worth customizing the detector to see what I could do with it.

Well here are my results...

tcosbyjr-md6008-1.jpg

tcosbyjr-md6008-2.jpg

tcosbyjr-md6008-3.jpg

tcosbyjr-md6008-4.jpg

Not only is the detector now much easier to use and set-up properly, it also gets much better depth! Here are the new air test depths with the detector set in DISC mode with the DISC knob at 10:00 o'clock with maximum sensitivity...

My custom detector air test depths -
14K Gold Ring - 8"
Penny - 8"
Nickle - 7.75"
Clad Dime - 7.75"
Silver Dime - 8"
Clad Quarter - 9.25"
Silver Quarter - 9"
Half-Dollar - 10.25"

Here is a list of changes and modifications I did to the detector - as it is rather extensive I plan to release detailed instructions/how-to's on the different mods. I have plenty of images and full details saved, and I will release the instructions later on as I have the time.

• Custom straight shaft that is weight balanced to the handle, with most of the weight under the arm/elbow to make it feel lighter and easier to swing
  • Shaft uses a locking spring clip with 10 adjustment holes (stock shaft is plastic cam-lock only)
  • A metal twist cam-lock for the lower rod
  • Custom detector stand - keeps it out of the dirt and makes it near impossible to knock/roll over
  • Search coil no longer hard-wired and uses a standard detector screw-on connector
  • Search coil was sealed with pure silicone (aquarium grade) to prevent water damage
  • Padded armrest added with a armrest strap
  • Headphone jack changed to standard metal detector 1/4" size (6mm) and added to the end to prevent tangles/problems
  • Added headphone switch for Mono or Stereo headphone cables
  • On/Off switch wired separate to prevent having to change the volume each time
  • Volume control works with mono or stereo headphones, and has smoother increase/decrease
  • Sensitivity potentiometer changed to 100K to allow more power/greater depth
  • Dual DISC/TONE knobs added to make changing detecting targets easy - also aids in easier identification of object in the ground by switching the DISC back and forth as needed
  • Ground control added - and I included a course and fine knobs to allow accurate control/set-up
  • Battery type switched to 9V batteries - as I have many great 9V rechargeable's I wanted to use from my other detectors; however, it can easily be switched to 6 AA batteries again if I prefer.
  • Battery tray is water resistant, has a simple latch to allow easy battery changes when detecting, and holds three 9V batteries for longer detecting time. Also this allows me to continue detecting even if I only have a single 9V battery as only one is required to power the detector.
  • A custom control box was created above the handle to house the meter (which does work to display strength/depth of a found target), On/Off switch, DISC 1/DISC 2 switch to change discrimination settings, and toggle pinpoint switch so I do not have to hold the button -- all within easy thumb reach while detecting
  • ...And many other things "under the hood" :D

Nice modifications there that thing gets more death then my AT Pro:laughing:That thing will work as good as $1000 detector.

Not bad, should do a full write up, it should be of interest to lots of people. Money is tight, but there are many who have the time, tools, and access to materials to do the modifications, plus it's a lot of fun. Would kind of guess that if you actually had to purchase all parts and materials, probably more cost effective to purchase a better machine in the first place, but there is always more satisfaction in building something yourself. I buy a lot of cheap things with potential, just to improve and customize. Not exactly because I'm thrifty, it's sort of a hobby. Besides, sometimes there isn't a whole lot of difference inside the case, and you pay a premium for the case and brand name on it. I just want, what satisfies my need, not a logo.

Nice modifications there that thing gets more death then my AT Pro:laughing:That thing will work as good as $1000 detector.

Thanks, not sure about that - after all it is missing a major option required for many detectorist anymore - a LCD screen with buttons. :D Thankfully I am a beep and dig kinda guy so it works out, at least I can disc to sort through some of the trash.

Not bad, should do a full write up, it should be of interest to lots of people. Money is tight, but there are many who have the time, tools, and access to materials to do the modifications, plus it's a lot of fun. Would kind of guess that if you actually had to purchase all parts and materials, probably more cost effective to purchase a better machine in the first place, but there is always more satisfaction in building something yourself. I buy a lot of cheap things with potential, just to improve and customize. Not exactly because I'm thrifty, it's sort of a hobby. Besides, sometimes there isn't a whole lot of difference inside the case, and you pay a premium for the case and brand name on it. I just want, what satisfies my need, not a logo.

Thanks, I will do just that coming up. It seems I have so many projects anymore I am in the process of building a website to host all my mods/projects/instructions.

Indeed it cost much more than I thought, or wanted to spend, but in the end it was worth it. For me working on something like this project - it is more about doing the project than the finished product (I guess that is why I lose interest in some of my things as they get nearly done, and sometimes are left unfinished).

Ha, I know what you mean I am the same way. My family always says I can't leave anything alone, I always have to mod/tweak/customize whatever I buy. :lol:

I admit I was hoping to save up to get something that was similar to what I ended-up creating. If this detector gets the depth in ground that is even a few inches less from the air tests I don't think I'll have to worry about it anymore -- as I don't want to dig 9"-10"+ holes for each find (unless it is something truly valuable). :laughing:

Sooooo to sum up...You added a bunch of buttons and knobs and other cool electrical stuff and made a great new "man-toy", right? :D Sorry ...I am totally techno-stupid man! :lol: Looks like you did a heck of a job on this mod. Cudos to ya!:thumbsup:

That is the coolest FRANKENDETECTOR i've ever seen. I want one bad. I doubt i would have the technical know-how to do it but I would love detailed instructions. Thanks so much for sharing and I look forward to more!

I dont know how you did it, but thats the coolest thing I have ever seen hands down !!!! If I had a tenth of the knowledge you do I would be thrilled to death. I love it. I had a similiar looking gold digger (Bounty Hunter) that i loved for the price also. You could have tweaked that one awesome too. Heck I bet you could turn it into an awesome side job for some decent money. I would love to have an awesome home made detecor like that. Freaking coolest thing ever!!!! I had to look at it a hundred times, and will look at it again and again. I simply cant get over the talent.:cool::cool::yes::shock:

NICE
I have the same model, it was my first detector.
The meter on mine is useless. Does yours provide any info?
I would like to know more about these mods as well.
Good job!

Wow :shock: Thanks everyone for your overwhelming support and comments! I figured only a handful of other electronic tinkerers would make a few posts, perhaps even showing off their projects.

I'm not sure if it is best to respond to each individual post or add them all in a single post, I imagine the latter - so look below for a response.

I will be creating full detailed instruction write-ups on the mods of my detector as time permits (in other words I will release the instructions as I can, and I will release all the details but it may take some time to write them), and perhaps even some youtube videos as Jim Pickens requested.

I've received several private messages and comments in regards to my past mods and current mod, so I am thinking of making some of them available for purchase coming up. For example I would buy some new HF detectors and mod them, so those who can't/don't want to mod it themselves can have one, and selling them here on the forum classifieds or eBay. Let me know what you think. Either way I am releasing my detailed instructions, as it can help others create their own. :D

Sooooo to sum up...You added a bunch of buttons and knobs and other cool electrical stuff and made a great new "man-toy", right? :D Sorry ...I am totally techno-stupid man! :lol: Looks like you did a heck of a job on this mod. Cudos to ya!:thumbsup:

Exactly, you got it - bunch of knobs to make a great new toy. :yes: Thanks

That is the coolest FRANKENDETECTOR i've ever seen. I want one bad. I doubt i would have the technical know-how to do it but I would love detailed instructions. Thanks so much for sharing and I look forward to more!

Thanks. Frankendetector is right, I like that. :D The instructions will be released soon as time permits - and hopefully will allow you to create your own. Most of the instructions/details can also be used on other detectors as well.

I dont know how you did it, but thats the coolest thing I have ever seen hands down !!!! If I had a tenth of the knowledge you do I would be thrilled to death. I love it. I had a similiar looking gold digger (Bounty Hunter) that i loved for the price also. You could have tweaked that one awesome too. Heck I bet you could turn it into an awesome side job for some decent money. I would love to have an awesome home made detecor like that. Freaking coolest thing ever!!!! I had to look at it a hundred times, and will look at it again and again. I simply cant get over the talent.:cool::cool::yes::shock:

Many thanks for the kind words Kireta. :blush2:

My detector was made just like any project - I started with changing one thing at a time, ensure the change works correctly, and repeat until finished. :yes:

Originally I was just going to add dual discrimination (disc) and move the on/off switch to it's own switch instead of the volume knob. Of course having it already apart modding it, I kept finding things I wanted to add or change, and it snowballed from there.

Indeed much of the detailed information on my mods could be applied to any similar detector (or altered to work with nearly anything). Just about any detector that has a few knobs (potentiometers) can be modified to some extent easily.

I may offer some new modified versions of the metal detector in the future, so if you want one that would be the best time to get one. :D

If you want to see some true talent in this field look over at the GeoTech forum - those people build their own detectors from scratch, and wind their own coils too.

I really like what you done would love to see a you tub video of this. I see how you did some of the mods but would like to see how this was done in more detail.

Thanks - I know what you mean, a quick youtube video could show more than countless hours of reading or images for some things. I'm not much for being in front of a camera, but figure I'll have to sooner or later (and I already have a webcam for it).

I'll see if I can work in some quick videos for portions of the instructions, and results, as I write them up.:thumbsup:

NICE
I have the same model, it was my first detector.
The meter on mine is useless. Does yours provide any info?
I would like to know more about these mods as well.
Good job!

Not sure when you purchased yours, but the newer detectors made in the last two years are said to be light-years beyond the older versions in quality and performance.

Indeed my meter doesn't simply jump to the maximum reading whenever it is over a find. I know from tests the meter needle will be low for deep objects, and progressively higher for shallower objects.

I doubt the meter can be sectioned off for accurate depth, but it can help in trying to determine depth before digging.

I will release detailed information coming up, and thanks.

well we may see a new brand of detectors soon?

Nope, not much of a brand as it uses the heart/brain of another detector - which is itself likely a Chinese copy of a older Bounty Hunter detector. Although that said I may release some custom modified versions for others who can't mod one themselves.

you did an awesome job....................i always wondered how Whites machines were made :lol:

A diamond in the rough

When I found out HF had one, I figured WTH.
Well for fifty dollars, I recommend it to anyone who wants to start MD'g.
It basically has two tones depending on how you set the DISC. I'm not sure what the analog meter supposed to do, but all in all, well worth it!

:urock: That's an amazing job :cool:

Many thanks, it was a fun project.

you did an awesome job....................i always wondered how Whites machines were made :lol:

Thanks - although it wasn't my intention of stylizing it like a White's, they do look similar in basic form. I guess when using a standard shaped project box it will look like a White's no matter what is done. :lol:

Perhaps that is why several brands have a strange control box - to make their detector look more unique. Like Bounty Hunter's horizontal oval, often called a muffler on a stick, Tesoro's cube, Garrett's Ace bullet style, and others.

When I found out HF had one, I figured WTH.
Well for fifty dollars, I recommend it to anyone who wants to start MD'g.
It basically has two tones depending on how you set the DISC. I'm not sure what the analog meter supposed to do, but all in all, well worth it!

Agreed, it is a bargain for under $50 with it's awesome discrimination and above average depth.

Seems the few reasons it isn't a popular detector are - no company backing it just a distributor that has a questionable reputation on their products quality, no digital display (which seems by many or even most, to be a requirement anymore), and perhaps the stock design or quality of the arm rest and grip area.

My detector has only a single tone (factory stock or modified), objects discriminated out are silent or have a broken tone. Even if I set the mode on Tone it still has just a single tone; however, on Tone mode the sound of the tone will beep repeatedly instead of a single long beep, and depending on the find the repeating beep will be faster or slower (the delay between the tone beeps).

On older models the analog meter displayed if the found object was ferrous or non-ferrous by the signal strength. It was changed to just signal strength (how deep the target is), but like most detectors (including the Tracker IV) the meter's needle was either on maximum or nothing.

Now the needle gives signal strength of a found object better, but nothing like the older White's metered detectors. For a found object less than 3" deep it is about maximum, and the deeper it is the lower/less the needle moves. I also noticed even if a object is discriminated out, the detector won't beep, but the meter will still move.

Back
Top Bottom