Finally found it!!! Maps baby!!!

Yes Yes Yes after a year or so of seaching the web and local libraries I finally found the maps I have been looking for. The earliest maps I can find for this area are from 1939 but show tons and tons of homes that werent there in the 1970's map. Here is the link to the site all you do is search the town then when you click on the map it will ask you to open or save the PDF file. It will allow you to zoom in and also print sections of the map that you want.

http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/b2c/start/(xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd)/.do

Hope this is helpful to you guys.
I read this post the other day and followed the link to check it out. I had been to the USGS site before but didnt use this map function. This time however I did a search of my town and also where I grew up, which is rural and where my wifes family owns land, again in a rural area.

These maps went back to 1934 and show alot of old house places that are now gone, unless you know where to look! I downloaded the TerraGo toolbar and I think it is going to be a very handy tool along with the maps. With the TerraGo you can place your pointer on an old house place and get the coordinates, then using GPS(which I already have) I can follow the GPS to whatever old place I want to.

This could be a very handy tool and I appreciate the link information. Now if I could just figure out how to do an overlay with it.

So I used the maps function for my area and figured out what I had been looking at in this field for the past 10 years. It was one of those areas where you look at it and think that there must have been something there at one time. I look at the 1950's map and sure enough it indicates there was a farm with a couple of buildings and what looks like a hog barn.
I went out there on Sunday and sure enough I find the foundations for both buildings as well as barbed wire enclosures with posts and sheet metal. I hunted for about an hour but it was tough with all of the tall grass and large metal objects. Sad to say no keepers.

Thanks for putting this map sight on the forum, it is really handy.

Load these maps into Maprika!

Once you have the map you need form these sources, you can load it up in Maprika on your cell phone and plot GPS on it.

I did a full tutorial on how to use this with your smartphone or tablet....

http://detecting.us/2012/10/30/using-maprika-for-metal-detecting/

I cannot tell you how cool it is to "move around" in an 1850s map - walking up to a house site on your phone and then looking up to see the foundation stones and depression you would have never seen otherwise.

minelab 305

hey text or call me at 706-483-4988 i have some questions u may be able to answer about maps and ur detector thanks brandon

If anybody has any old maps of South Carolina or even just maps of the Myrtle Beach area please let me know. Also I'm having trouble finding old maps on that site.

cant find plat maps for my area?

if anyone can come across plat maps for watertown, wisconsin can you please p.m me them? i cannot find anything but birdseye views of this stupid town:mad:. watertown is a old town like 1830 old....:?:so i don't see how there isn't any that i can find anyway? please let me know thanks, john

Once you have the map you need form these sources, you can load it up in Maprika on your cell phone and plot GPS on it.

I did a full tutorial on how to use this with your smartphone or tablet....

http://detecting.us/2012/10/30/using-maprika-for-metal-detecting/

I cannot tell you how cool it is to "move around" in an 1850s map - walking up to a house site on your phone and then looking up to see the foundation stones and depression you would have never seen otherwise.

Word of advice to others. I've done this 4 times before it worked. Make sure the map will upload to the server before spending hrs adding locations. Mine was too small, then too large. Once verified that it will upload then continue. Learn from my mistakes. I wasted hrs before getting it to work.

I am trying to find a plat map of Edwards, MS in Hinds County, prior to the 1938 one I did find. If anyone can help me find one I would greatly appreciate it.

PLENARIE HOW ABOUT TELLING HOW TO USE THE SITE, I can only get it to give me the same map as all other maping sites.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom