ENDED Guess the Coin Contest - 1920 house, and no significant finds yet; CONTEST Ends Aug 28 @ 12PM

This thread started as a discussion seeking interest and discussing how to clarify the parameters of the contest. once there was an interest, the Moderators requested to move this to the contest thread. rules were then clearly stated. Participation is entirely voluntary, if you want to venture a guess outside the parameters you are only limiting (removing) your own chance of winning. Good Luck!!

This thread started as a discussion seeking interest and discussing how to clarify the parameters of the contest. once there was an interest, the Moderators requested to move this to the contest thread. rules were then clearly stated. Participation is entirely voluntary, if you want to venture a guess outside the parameters you are only limiting (removing) your own chance of winning. Good Luck!!

Thanks Grumpy, I appreciate the clarification for all whom wish to participate, but let me take some blame for any confusion, I jumped in head first, had fun with Felix's contest, thought it would be nice to continue the camaraderie, and without too much initial thinking about parameters and rules. I could have been better prepared. Also, let's give Glenz some credit where most of us may have overlooked, like many detectorist, I'm always under the conception I'm either going to find clad or jump clean back into 1800's coins, but we tend to forget our country has had several wars since, and bringing home a coin/trinket from a far away country from one of our war veterans, is a very good even if sometimes rare possibility. As long as the coin is US made and follows the rest of the rules outlined in post#10, it will be accepted.

Let's not debate the issue, let's have fun.

A little side note;
With the signing of the Treaty of Paris on December 10, 1898, Spain ceded the Philippines to the United States, until the country's full achievement of independence in 1946.

Last edited:
Thanks Grumpy, I appreciate the clarification for all whom wish to participate, but let me take some blame for any confusion, I jumped in head first, had fun with Felix's contest, thought it would be nice to continue the camaraderie, and without too much initial thinking about parameters and rules. I could have been better prepared. Also, let's give Glenz some credit where most of us may have overlooked, like many detectorist, I'm always under the conception I'm either going to find clad or jump clean back into 1800's coins, but we tend to forget our country has had several wars since, and bringing home a coin/trinket from a far away country from one of our war veterans, is a very good even if sometimes rare possibility. As long as the coin is US made and follows the rest of the rules outlined in post#10, it will be accepted.

Let's not debate the issue, let's have fun.

A little side note;
With the signing of the Treaty of Paris on December 10, 1898, Spain ceded the Philippines to the United States, until the country's full achievement of independence in 1946.

You need to do some reaserch on your land before the house was built. look for old maps and stuff. you could have civil was stuff possibly. My property up here in AK the house was built in 98 it has a structure at some point in the 80s which appears to be a trailer home. it had a highway in the 60s going through it which and apperently some gold miners came through in the 1930s. The oldest thing I pulled off my modern property was a match safe with matched with a patent date of 1900, probably dropped in the 30s based on the coffee cans dated 1936. Furthermore I possibly found a native american clay marble on my land as well. Just because your house may be "new" you can still possibly find stuff dating back to the pre-revolutionary days

Love to catch a break from this heat, every 20 minutes outside and I drink a gallon of water, anywho, looks like I might have to switch back to the smaller coil, too much emi from the power lines, no matter what frequency I switch it to, and even when I reduce the gain. Today's yield, nails and pull tabs galore, an old belt buckle of some type, a 62 Lincoln, no not the car, that be a monopoly car.

picture.php

On a boring side note, the car is one of the early 70's pieces, it doesn't have a solid section in the cockpit but hollow opening.
picture.php

Yes, we have a winner

So, who picked the Johnny Lightning brass token the size of a friggin dollar(dollar coin reference only)

picture.php

picture.php

No one???? Odd, would have been my guess right after the Chinese coin....just teasing Glenn:laughing:

Ok then, who picked a tiny maybe silver ring?? No markings and cut as if to remove from someones finger(too tight??)
of course no one.

picture.php

Then who picked the 68 Dodge Charger, being a Mopar man, I probably would have made an exception for that guess

picture.php

Ok....THE REAL WINNER

Got tired of sitting at the computer playing the word association game, decided to do a little detecting, still pretty hot out so was only going to mess around for about 15 minutes, decided to detect under my porch steps, my porch was an add on at a later date then when the house was built, but the steps were rickety and I decided to move them out and start to repair them, but decided to detect under where they were, I expected to hit the mother load of nails, signal were nuts ranging from 05 to 99 and then overload(stupid token) started to dig, found a few nails, then the token, got excited for about 2 seconds then began to curse...:mad:
Next pulled out a few Zinc's, a copper, a bud light can, figured that was it, rechecked, hmmm, more signals, then found the car and ring almost simultaneously, cleaned the ring before taking a pic, thought it was just an ear ring at first(it's tiny) now I must be done...nope, 25, 25 27, hut hut hike, figured, might as well get the stupid pull tab out of there while I'm at it, nope, not a pull tab, a nickel, I figured modern, too dirty to tell, figured modern. Covered up the whole, pushed the steps back....I'm hot, I'll fix them later,:lol: Went in, threw everything on the counter be the sink, cleaned the token and ring first, started to wipe the nickel off with my thumb, and there I saw a glimpse....a "V" uh oh, someone guessed those....cleaned with a toothbrush and some dish soap and...

My oldest "V" Nickel to date 1898 "V" Nickel

picture.php
picture.php

:hat3::neat::wincup: tvg123 Congratulations!!!

pm me your address for your prize.

and the rest of you...:violin:

No, seriously, thanks for playing, I thought I wasn't going to find anything close to the contest the way it was going, sorry I didn't get a pic of it coming out of the hole, didn't figure it for anything worth the time.

we need a new contest.....

Ok....THE REAL WINNER

My oldest "V" Nickel to date 1898 "V" Nickel

picture.php
picture.php

:hat3::neat::wincup: tvg123 Congratulations!!!

pm me your address for your prize.

and the rest of you...:violin:

No, seriously, thanks for playing, I thought I wasn't going to find anything close to the contest the way it was going, sorry I didn't get a pic of it coming out of the hole, didn't figure it for anything worth the time.

we need a new contest.....

Very nice find !!!!

.....and congrats to the winner !!!!! :dingding::clapping::clapping::clapping:

No one actually guessed a "V" nickel, but in the rules, I stated coin first followed by closest year, nickels were guessed.

Congrats on the V and the other stuff under the steps! Sometimes kids rings weren't connected so that they could fit different size fingers. I pulled a copper one like that a while ago. Congrats to the winner of the contest too. The prize was all the trash you dug while the contest was running, right?:D

Congrats on the V and the other stuff under the steps! Sometimes kids rings weren't connected so that they could fit different size fingers. I pulled a copper one like that a while ago. Congrats to the winner of the contest too. The prize was all the trash you dug while the contest was running, right?:D

My porch and bathroom were add ons who knows when, I may have to slide under the porch with a digger, pinpointer and a small shaker box, it's probably the original traffic area in/out of the house

My porch and bathroom were add ons who knows when, I may have to slide under the porch with a digger, pinpointer and a small shaker box, it's probably the original traffic area in/out of the house

I'd say you're on the right track here. A buddy of mine and I took his ATP apart, mounted it to a short homemade rod and crawled under the porch on his 1908 house a few years ago. The amount of stuff under there was insane! I'm pretty sure some kid was shoving Indian heads between the boards by the bucket...:yes:

Back
Top Bottom