• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

[SOLVED - See the first post] Coin ring. possibly gold... what coin is it?

A 1440 year old coin :shock:! That's incredible, this deserves to be in the "mind blowing finds' section! :yes:

Huh... I didn't think of it that way.

Funny thing is, you can buy this coin for like $17, Yep. Less than a Peace Dollar. LOL

It's an old coin, set in a new ring (handmade at that). I figure it was a tourist purchase, given the locale!

Skippy

Great Update and an awesome ID assist from Member Achaios! Bravo all around!

Boy, there sure is a lot of knowledge floating around on this site...amazing Hunters and find ID'ers...

My specialty is bronze coins of the Seleukid empire, but I'm not sure if any of those have ever appeared on FMDF. I have others, including a smattering of Roman, Parthian, Byzantine, various Islamic and medieval coins.

Keep posting them, I have a lot of reference books and it gives me something to do other than boring programming. :)

-- Tom

Sorry Skippy,
I couldn't see any detail in your picture of the inside/bottom of the ring/coin.
I thought it looked flat and that is what lead me to the conclusion that it wasn't a coin.

Great find and way cool ring.
Congrats on the ID

Sorry Skippy,
I couldn't see any detail in your picture of the inside/bottom of the ring/coin.
I thought it looked flat and that is what lead me to the conclusion that it wasn't a coin.

Great find and way cool ring.
Congrats on the ID

No worries. Not concerned if you or others aren't sure it's a coin. I'm personally 99.99% it's just worn down, based on the fact bronze disease isn't something that shows up in new mints. I'll have to treat it in distilled water when I get home to clear it out, and then preserve it.

There's also plenty of coin examples with nearly blank sides from that era (often due to corrosion in the ground, just like we find coins stuck together with outside edges messed up but insides clear, the same happens with buried coins.) I've cleaned plenty of Roman coins of that era that had clear impressions on one side and practically blank on another. Plus, the hand stamping didn't always lend to a nice clean impression. My guess is this one probably made it into a ring specifically BECAUSE the obverse was lousy.

As I noted, the numismatic value is practically nothing, since someone polished the coin to a luster, but it's a neat find none-the-less. The location found, and history behind it, just makes it cool. :) I'll never sell it... it'll just go into my "museum" at home.

Cheers!

Skippy

Not everything green is bronze disease. If it is powdery and some comes off easy with a fingernail, it likely is.

I've got some coins with hard green patina that is stable, and not bronze disease.

Sodium sequicarbonate is a good thing to add to the distilled water when dealing with bronze disease.

-- Tom

Back
Top Bottom