Old Spoon

LuckyLundy

Found this spoon metal detecting for gold out here in Northern California. I was metal detecting some old workings by the oldtimers and dug up this old spoon. I tried shinning it up with some Tarn-x then I figured it's not silver. I think it's made out of tin? Anyone out there period date this spoon. Has the same design on the back of the spoon too!

LuckyLundy
OldSpoon001.jpg

Could it be nickle? I found a solid nickle spoon on the beach up here in RI. Sounded like a big ole gold piece!!!!

Neat find LuckyLundy!:yes: Where abouts you live? I am down on the coast in Santa Cruz.

Last edited:
decent spoon in good shape

alot of the mid to late 1800's spoons were made of copper with silver plating or gilt there should be a makers mark on the back in the middle . Dan

Thanks guys,

No marking on the back of spoon. I believe it is copper and the prospector that lost it, didn't care because he made one of gold. He did leave some for me to detect. I find old bullets too, I'll post some of them pictures so you all can help ID them.

LuckyLundy
15Jan09VetDigTotalWt.jpg

:shock::shock:GOLD!!!:wow: Very nice Lucky!! I see where you get your name......or is it skill!:D Very nice indeed!:yes:

Nice spoon. i find a lot of thoses on the goldfields here. Quite a few used to be silver plated. Your spoon should have a hallmark, even if it's faint, on the back of teh handle. If so you'll be able to check it out on the Net. Just punch in cutlery hallmarks and see how you go with it.
Golden;)

Thanks guys, that old prospector must have worn the markings away with his beans and sardines!

LuckyLundy

Back
Top Bottom