Follow up on the cellphone ....asked a few cops this morning...plus a video of what might happen....

Z

I trashed one tonight, these Apple I Phones are sealed , unlike the android phones that you can take apart , these phones you can't, built in SD card, Battery, GPS , and yes they can. track everywhere you go, the one I trashed is broke , won't turn on, I think , not for sure, if the phone is turned off , it can't be tracked, but I don't know , if it can be pinged without power , kind of want to go back to a regular phone, I think they make these phones now, just so they can find you , than again if the internal. Battery is in the phone which you can't remove and is not dead than maybe they can , as long as the GPS gets juice , who knows , happy hunting.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: , Just returned one today , finder's fee, reward will buy me a nice dinner out tonight , take Scuba's advice , because your wrong . ;)

Well that's your area I guess??? Here different crowd of people!!! Things have changed in the last ten years here. The vacationers that here now very rude, disrespectful, most of them high on drugs. Consider yourself very lucky.

ya

I here you, have no clue were you are , headliner said USA , but Tom is wright had to explain to the guy , how I found his phone , I told him 6 inches in the wet , and the tide was coming in, he was lucky , it was still working, if it wasn't for me, he would have had a lot of beach to dig up the day he was leaving, it worked out for him, and was a learning experience for me, this dead one in the trash they have until Friday , if not they can ping it , and find it at the land fill :lol:, there is no way for me to find out who it belongs to, why bother, it's toast , that one was in knee deep water , 12 inches down, I dug at least 15 times, as the sand kept filling in the hole, I can tell everyone, they hit strong on the Equinox , and the numbers jump from 30 to 38 all over the place, you have to dig them, gets the blood pumping , what's this lol

Come on now Bud..... MOST of the vacationers are HIGH on drugs? I tend to find our locals much more a pain in the butt than the vacationers. I find our vacationers are older..... or they have kids..... and rarely come in large groups.... well except maybe at spring break:lol:. Locals...... tend to think its THEIR beach to trash, drink/party, and brings shovels to dig their fox holes..... and they do come in groups. We are lucky enough to have the other side of that coin too....... walkers, runners, and just those who clean up after them.

Surf master, not arguing with you, just putting the info out here .Google "remove sim card iphone whatever" and you will see how to do it. Usually a paperclip will be enough...
I trashed one tonight, these Apple I Phones are sealed , unlike the android phones that you can take apart , these phones you can't, built in SD card, Battery, GPS , and yes they can. track everywhere you go, the one I trashed is broke , won't turn on, I think , not for sure, if the phone is turned off , it can't be tracked, but I don't know , if it can be pinged without power , kind of want to go back to a regular phone, I think they make these phones now, just so they can find you , than again if the internal. Battery is in the phone which you can't remove and is not dead than maybe they can , as long as the GPS gets juice , who knows , happy hunting.

Oh look another phone. Kerplunk. . . :laughing:

zzzsplash.jpg

Surf master, not arguing with you, just putting the info out here .Google "remove sim card iphone whatever" and you will see how to do it. Usually a paperclip will be enough...

They can still be tracked though the iCloud....no Sims card needed!!!!

........I've never had issues returning lost items but you never know. Just have to be careful these days.

Nor have I. A few ingrates who offer only-a-half-hearted "thanx". But that's the worst. The heart-warming stories far-out-weigh them.

The few "fluke" stories (that would make you think "you have to be careful"), are just that: Flukes. And if you/I ran our lives by "flukes", we'd never leave our front doors in the morning.

Job Done

I removed the Sim card it's smaller than others , a sprint, this phone screen was all cracked up, sand in charge port, Battery dead, couldn't read the card to get a contact , back also cracked, this once was a foot down in the water , lesson learned was the broke phones go in the beach trash can, ones still working , I will try to make a return , my reward fee is 50 , if someone asked me to find there phone while I am hunting , my time , my equipment working , when I can be looking for gold with that time, IS worth a reward, in some cases, case by case , a reward won't be needed, my call , I do have a soft heart , in some cases , you all know you do to , it all depend's , 90 + degree days, in the ocean or wash line were your equipment take a beating, you can search for hours for that ring, or that phone , when you could be hunting your treasure , so thinking things out , before you start , is what I would do , other hunters can do as you want, remember it's your time, your equipment, do as you wish, in my case the last hunt turned out with a reward , happy hunting . Ps Irons , I am not one that throws trash , or items back, it's all about cleaning the trash up, while hunting for treasure .

Most people after the loss of their cell phone would probably check with the lifeguard to see if it was turned in. After some time has passed they get it replaced with their homeowners insurance if available.
I just give them to the lifeguard then I’m done with it.

I just give them to the lifeguard then I’m done with it.

That is certainly an option. Or the police, etc... Right ?

But consider this: You know how md'rs have frequently reunited class rings with owners. Right ? By researching to track the initials, the year of graduation, to a current address/name, etc... Right ?

This would be an interesting test: Someone here take THEIR OWN class ring (or... someone they know) to a lifeguard or police station. Then see if the phone ever rings for a repatriation. I'll bet it doesn't. I'll bet that it just disappears.

Maybe better odds for a phone finding its rightful owner ?

Kevin and I found 7 phones yesterday. No police knocking at my door yet.

For all you folks that are paranoid of the police. You might have the right to be. However, NOT everyone is scared of them nor the courts.

For all you folks that are paranoid of the police. You might have the right to be. However, NOT everyone is scared of them nor the courts.

Agreed. But to clarify : The above statement even assume that there is "police" and "courts" involved .... IN THE FIRST PLACE . And .... it sounds like that is an over-blown fear (of super random flukes) in the first place.

In this day and age, trust me: The police and courts have BIGGER FISH to fry, than, something as silly as this. And if some "scary" story exists (a rogue link, etc...) to the contrary, those are just flukes. There's no need to "immediately toss that cell phone you just found", lest you "share a jail cell with bubba".

Bud, Re.: asking the police this question: Me thinks you are the latest victim of the psychology of "safe answer" and "No one cared till you asked" phenomenon.

For example, this statement by the police (I assume) :

Ok, can you cite any incident, of an md'r attempting to reunite a cell-phone, that "cost the the md'r a ton of legal fees" ? I will give you a crisp $100 bill for each incident you can cite. Yet ... I will hear only the sound of crickets.

AT UTMOST WORST we have a few "ingrate" stories. That 1) aren't the norm, and 2) resulted in a few crossed eyebrows at worst, and 3) shouldn't rule your life, in-lieu of the far-more-numerous rewarding pleasant stories.

It's like shark attack stories: No one remembers the 1,000,000 safe swims. You only remember the headline of the shark attack. Right ? So guess what you fear the next time you swim ? So too is it with this silly supposed fear we're supposed to have with re-uniting cell-phones.

I couldn't even find a reference on line of a Metal Detectorist being arrested for a find that was considered stolen property... LOL

Skippy

I couldn't even find a reference on line of a Metal Detectorist being arrested for a find that was considered stolen property... LOL ....

I heard of a rogue case of a young couple who eyeballed a diamond ring in the parking lot of a grocery store. It had such a big gaudy stone, that they assumed costume jewelry or Cubic zirconia.

A few days passed, and .... one day they took a closer look at it, and noticed it was stamped gold in it.

They took it to a jeweler, and asked "Is the stone real ?" The jeweler told them that the gemologist made his rounds 1x per week by this store, and to leave it there, and he'd get back to them with an answer. The young couple left the ring with the jeweler, with their name & #.

Later, the gemologist, studying it under his scopes, saw that ... yes ... it was an enormous diamond. A ring on the order of $30k or whatever. And he also had a "B.O.L." by police or FBI or something, and recognized that this was that ring. So they called the LEO's, and told them they had the ring of the B.O.L.

The police showed up, studied it, and ... sure enough, a match. They ask the jeweler : "Where'd you get this?" The jeweler produced the couple's name and #. They set up a sting and enticed the couple to come into the store. Whereupon the police jumped out of hiding and cuffed them. The ring had been reported stolen apparently, so ... the couple was now suspect for having stolen it.

The young couple insisted they only "found" it .

If anyone wants the rest of this story, I'll find the link to where I posted the full story a few years back. It had interesting legal ramifications to our hobby.

I heard of a rogue case of a young couple who eyeballed a diamond ring in the parking lot of a grocery store. It had such a big gaudy stone, that they assumed costume jewelry or Cubic zirconia.

A few days passed, and .... one day they took a closer look at it, and noticed it was stamped gold in it.

They took it to a jeweler, and asked "Is the stone real ?" The jeweler told them that the gemologist made his rounds 1x per week by this store, and to leave it there, and he'd get back to them with an answer. The young couple left the ring with the jeweler, with their name & #.

Later, the gemologist, studying it under his scopes, saw that ... yes ... it was an enormous diamond. A ring on the order of $30k or whatever. And he also had a "B.O.L." by police or FBI or something, and recognized that this was that ring. So they called the LEO's, and told them they had the ring of the B.O.L.

The police showed up, studied it, and ... sure enough, a match. They ask the jeweler : "Where'd you get this?" The jeweler produced the couple's name and #. They set up a sting and enticed the couple to come into the store. Whereupon the police jumped out of hiding and cuffed them. The ring had been reported stolen apparently, so ... the couple was now suspect for having stolen it.

The young couple insisted they only "found" it .

If anyone wants the rest of this story, I'll find the link to where I posted the full story a few years back. It had interesting legal ramifications to our hobby.

That, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom