Difference in Bandido II and Bandido II Umax?

customcutter

Got a good deal on an used Umax. However, while doing other searches ran across a Bandido II and a Bandido II Umax. I'm guessing that the Umax is a later version but am wondering what the upgrades are?

Controls seem similar on both machines and look very similar to the Gold Umax, but don't know for sure. Thinking that one of these used would be a good investment on a machine with ground balance for working wet sand, dry sand, and all around MDing.

Any thoughts from anybody that's ran or got one.

thanks in advance,
CC

Hi CC, both are good detectors. The µMax is the newer model. The Golden Umax has multi-tones and the Bandido's are single tone.

Specifications Tesoro Bandido II µMax
Operating Frequency 10 kHz
Searchcoil Type Round, open center concentric
Searchcoil Size 8" diameter
Cable Length Approx. 3’
Audio Frequency Approx. 630 Hz
Audio Output 1½” speaker and headphone jack
Headphone Compatibility ¼” stereo plug
Weight (may vary slightly) 2.2 lbs.
Battery Requirement One 9 volt DC (alkaline)
Battery Life (typical) 10 to 20 hours
Optimum Temperature Range 30° to 100° F
Optimum Humidity 0 to 75% R.H.
Operating Modes No-motion All Metal
Silent Search Discriminate
Tuning Modes Auto Tune (fast
Normal Tune (manual)

Specifications Tesoro Bandido II
Operating Frequency 10 kHz
Searchcoil Type Concentric
Searchcoil Size 8" diameter
Cable Length Approx. 3’
Audio Frequency Approx. 625 Hz
Audio Output 1 1/2" speaker
Headphone Compatibility 1/4" stereo earphone jack
Weight (may vary slightly) 3 lbs.
Battery Requirement 9 volts DC
2 ea. 9V alkaline batteries
Battery Life (typical) 15 to 30 hours
Optimum Temperature Range 30° to 100° F
Optimum Humidity 0 to 75% R.H.
Operating Modes All Metal
Discriminate
Tuning Modes Auto Tune
Normal Tune

Here is a post by Monte ( a well known fella to alot of us) -

A Bandido Umax has no threshold knob and the Bandido Umax II does?

Externally, that is correct, The Bandido µMAX was a move from the Bandido and Bandido II to the µMAX (micro-MAX) housing. Doing so, however, the didn't address the ability for the operator to adjust the Threshold. On the first two Bandido's there wasn't an front=panel Threshold control, either. They had a small shaft or knob that poked trough a hole in the back of the housing and the shaft went into the Threshold trimmer on the circuit board inside. It was functional, but there were some cases where a person thought it was a button and pressed it and that can damage the trimmer.

The Bandido µMAX was sort of an interim model in the Bandido 'series.' The Bandido II was produced from 1-'93 thru 9/'97, and the Bandido II µMAX from 10/'97 thru 1/'01. The Bandido µMAX, was made from 3/'96 thru 3/'98 and it would stand to reason that the Bandido II was still considered a bit more versatile since is was still in production for 1½ yeas after the µ-housed Bandido came out. Anyway, yes, to the eye, that was the main EXTERANLLY obvious difference ..., the Threshold control.

So basically the B 2 is like a El Dorado?

Are you referring to a Bandido II or the Bandido II µMAX, and do you mean the Eldorado (original) or the µMAX style Eldorado? The original Eldorado had a Threshold control and manual GB. It was replaced by the Bandido which had the same/similar adjustment features, but a "shaft" to tweak the Threshold trimmer. The main difference was that the Bandido was smaller, lighter, in an ABS plastic housing, AND it featured the then-new "ED-120 Discrimination." The Eldorado didn't adjust as low in the Disc. mode. The Bandido II was basically a Bandido with an added toggle so you could select either a manual threshold retune or a fast threshold auto-tune.

The Bandido replaced the original Eldorado, and then after the four Bandido series model they were replaced with the Eldorado (µMAX version). ALL of the four Bandido models used the ED-120 range of discrimination acceptance whereas the µMAX Eldorado featured ED-180 Discrimination (full-range to include All Metal Acceptance). So, no, the Bandido's and Eldorado were not the same

Are you specifically asking about the Bandido II µMAX (one of my favorite all-time Tesoro's) or the Eldorado µMAX (another that I think was a great offering from them), Personally, I'd like to have a choice specimen of each of them, but I would have more specific use for the Eldorado ... mainly for working highly mineralized beached, searching plowed fields, or doing the job at any site where I want to find everything. The Bandido II µMAX, however, does fine in all other applications, however.

campnagle
My Cutlass II is more of a screamer than my Silver so I'm thinking I need to add a Bandido to my arsenal as it would be a screamer also. thanks!

Are you referring to the Silver µMAX, or an earlier Silver Sabre model? The Silver µMAX should "scream" as well, or better, than a Cutlass II, whereas the Cutlass II µMAX has virtually the same performance as the Silver µMAX which, in my opinion is basically the same detector with minor changes in battery test and name.

When talking about any Tesoro with the word Silver or Golden or Bandido or Eldorado in the name, it really helps to be much more specific about the model discussed. The full model name.
The original Bandido and the Bandido II had the shaft protruding from the rear of the housing, and the Bandido II µMAX has the front-panel Threshold control.

As others and I will tell you, the Bandido II µMAX is the way to go if you want full adjustment control AND superior depth and audio response. Of all the four Bandido models, I think I disliked the Bandido µMAX (the one you are referring to) the most due to the lack of a Threshold control and especially due to poor depth and good audio bark.

Bandido II µMAX all the way!

Yeah, I just bought one and then had a long talk with Rusty at Tesoro and he told me that everyone and a while (my words) they get everything right in every combination and that's what happened with the Bandito II Umax, he ever offered to buy it from me for a quick profit, but it took me months to find a good one. Rusty said it was one of the best machines Tesoro has ever made.

Well I let one get away on e-bay that sold for $227.50. Haven't checked back on the other one. There is still one of each model.

I guess that one got away for a reason. I found a better deal on a lightly used Tejon today and told the guy I'd take it. My son-in-law is going to pick it up and we'll go pick it up this weekend.

thanks,
CC

Back
Top Bottom