Hurricane Michael erosion

right now

I just came in from the beach here at Siesta Key. 40 to 50 mph winds, 6 ft breakers with a surge that came in last night that brought in another foot of sand. The wet sand coughed up a few coins and the light stuff, tabs bottle caps, and slaw. High tide again around 1 pm. I will be out again around 5.

Here till Saturday, Something good will turn up between now and then.

I just came in from the beach here at Siesta Key. 40 to 50 mph winds, 6 ft breakers with a surge that came in last night that brought in another foot of sand. The wet sand coughed up a few coins and the light stuff, tabs bottle caps, and slaw. High tide again around 1 pm. I will be out again around 5.

Good to meet up with you both yesterday on the beach.

I went back last night to hit the low tide, soft sand removed at the top of the beach, picked up a few more coins.

Is it protocol for some beaches being off limits for a period of time, following a big storm?

No. They can't force you by law. Just cut off first responders. Won't get help if you need it if you were in a mandatory evacuation.

Some people are still fishing in the gulf.

Is it protocol for some beaches being off limits for a period of time, following a big storm?

I've been exploring beach erosion episodes, during some of the worst storms, since 1980. Thus 38 yrs. And in all that time, I've only ever seen a single beach where any "powers-that-be" were shooing away arriving curiosity seekers. That was when towering waves were dangerously crashing right against the cliff (beach completely eroded, so nothing to stop the waves from going "all the way in". But in that case, anyone wishing to go down, just went a block further north or south, and went down anyhow. (Surfers, md'rs, curiosity seekers, etc...)

I've seen beaches that had yellow tape across the entry trail. But people just stepping around it.

In all such cases, I have no doubt, that if you were to dial up the people (county ? City ? State ? etc...) that administers that beach and say : "Hi, can I go down onto the beach during this storm ?" Guess what they would say ? Moral of the story ? : Don't ask silly questions , and you won't get silly answers :laughing:

YES, many beaches are off limits! I work for Fed and FL-state agencies. Areas that were evacuated or sustained significant damage are frequently shut down / restricted for emergency response efforts and to prevent looting.

The most effective enforcement happens on barrier islands, e.g., places that require a bridge and typically include intracoastal land. These areas often have high-end residential, hotels, and tourist beaches. To access them, you have to be a first responder, disaster assistance agency, or a resident.

LEOs give every effort to enforce law that protects other beach front locations, but that doesn't mean people won't travel a few miles away and then use the beach to walk back to the location. For example, last year in Melbourne and Flager, sheriffs patrolled the beach on ATVs. The "alleged" trespassers were told to turn around and leave the area or they would be arrested. We've also used helicopters to give verbal warnings too.

..38 yrs. And in all that time, I've only ever seen a single beach where any "powers-that-be" were shooing away arriving curiosity seekers.
^^^as mentioned above, FL must be much different than CA...then again, as soon as a natural disaster requires fed agencies like FEMA, you are absolutely going to be restricted.

No. They can't force you by law.
Yes, absolutely enforceable both by state law and fed law due to disaster response.

Last edited:
The kicker is I am often one of the first people on the scene at heavily eroded beaches. It is prime hunting conditions and although my coworkers and boss know I like to MD, even I am not allowed to do so. :laughing: :roll: :mad:

I've been exploring beach erosion episodes, during some of the worst storms, since 1980. Thus 38 yrs. And in all that time, I've only ever seen a single beach where any "powers-that-be" were shooing away arriving curiosity seekers. That was when towering waves were dangerously crashing right against the cliff (beach completely eroded, so nothing to stop the waves from going "all the way in". But in that case, anyone wishing to go down, just went a block further north or south, and went down anyhow. (Surfers, md'rs, curiosity seekers, etc...)

I've seen beaches that had yellow tape across the entry trail. But people just stepping around it.

In all such cases, I have no doubt, that if you were to dial up the people (county ? City ? State ? etc...) that administers that beach and say : "Hi, can I go down onto the beach during this storm ?" Guess what they would say ? Moral of the story ? : Don't ask silly questions , and you won't get silly answers :laughing:

Another classic JUMP THE FENCE BROS, LAWS DON'T MATTER!!!! answer by Tom in CA....sad

and this one could get people hurt

The beach mentioned has 3 cops that run up and down the beach. I’m headed up tomorrow. I was there Mon. Stuff in the water like bottle caps. Sand was in so much being stopped at the N. End by the sand bar building up filling in the trough. But winds shifted soooo did it move some out ? I’ll see.

It is a matter of common sense. If it looks dangerous, it is dangerous. Not only do you have to worry about the waves, you have to worry about what ever debris is in the waves.

Of course, you also have to worry about those sharknadoes that hurricanes can spawn down south.

Michael dumped a foot on our beaches as well :(

Back
Top Bottom