Confederate S.C. Cuff Button

ak1290

Hi I dug this Confederate S. C. cuff button in central S.C. recently I am having trouble with the back stamp ( Made in England ) that is all that is on it, has anyone ever seen a button stamped like this? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200210_182737.jpg
    20200210_182737.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 368
  • 20200210_182829.jpg
    20200210_182829.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 368
There were several British companies that made buttons for the Confederates. I have four buttons with different backmarks. So to know for sure you will need to find a way to clean the back, if possible. But it is a very nice button. I would be delighted to have found it.

Hi I dug this Confederate S. C. cuff button in central S.C. recently I am having trouble with the back stamp ( Made in England ) that is all that is on it, has anyone ever seen a button stamped like this? Any help would be appreciated.

Does it actually say "Made in England" or just "England"? Either one is unusual, but the "Made in England" would be especially odd (as far as it being Civil War era). They were made in England, but not stamped generically like that. They were stamped with the maker's name.

Last edited:

I zoomed in closer and can see it does say "Made in England"

Here's an example of a Great Seal button--definitely 1900s--with that same backmark and shank construction. My opinion is that it is likely a post civil war reproduction. It could still be old, but perhaps made for a re-enactment, veteran event, etc...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Seal-Made-in-England-Military-Button/110934318018?

Toy Soldier I may be wrong but I thought the law requiring the words "Made In" came about in the late 1880s. Without the words "Made In" would be older. But at my advanced age I suffer from memory failure so I may be wrong.

Toy Soldier I may be wrong but I thought the law requiring the words "Made In" came about in the late 1880s. Without the words "Made In" would be older. But at my advanced age I suffer from memory failure so I may be wrong.

You're right, but I'm not sure how the "made in" requirements applied to buttons, particularly buttons made and issues for military use.

But, yes, if anything, the "Made in" language suggests post civil war.

ToySoldier, thanks for the info, I agree this is probably post Civil War but still pretty cool. I guess I will have to go find a true CW button lol

ToySoldier, thanks for the info, I agree this is probably post Civil War but still pretty cool. I guess I will have to go find a true CW button lol

It's definitely a nice button regardless! Any idea how long it might have been in the ground when you consider the location?

Sounds like it is a reproduction for CW reenactors.
Condition also seems too good. so maybe in the ground for a few decades at most but still an fun find.

The house site I am hunting was built in 1895 but there was a farmhouse that dates to the 1700's very near.

South Carolina continued to have militia units with state seal buttons for a few years after the civil war was over. A couple of other states did also. Georgia was one of them also.

South Carolina continued to have militia units with state seal buttons for a few years after the civil war was over. A couple of other states did also. Georgia was one of them also.

Certainly a possibility. Also, some military schools used the state seal designs in the late 1800s into the very early 1900s.

Hi ak1290 Glad to see you joined this forum. I told you these guys were helpful. They are the ones who sent me that link to the catalog on tokens. Toy Soldier has a lot of good posts and has helped me on some of my finds. He also has another shared interest with us - he likes golfing. To bad we didn't live closer and could get out together. Nice button big guy.
Charlie

Toy Soldier has a lot of good posts and has helped me on some of my finds. He also has another shared interest with us - he likes golfing....
Charlie

Thanks for the nice words. For a few years I had metal detecting and golfing vying for my attention. But, after a couple of decades of golfing, metal detecting has won out for the past year or so. With the way golf is, I could probably go out tomorrow and be just as bad as the last time I played, or maybe even better! If my kiddos took more of their own interest in playing and practicing, and not just tagging along to the driving range, then I'd play more by way of taking them. But, I definitely haven't sold the clubs!

All the Civil War examples I can think of without looking in a book had lined fields.
Which makes me jump to post war without even considering the back mark

That being said. It’s still a keeper 👍

Back
Top Bottom