• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A Surprise inside!

RainorShine

Forum Supporter
Went for a beach hunt at a place that was once the site of an over the water amusement park. The park operated from 1907 - 1913 when it was shut down because the neighbors didn't care for some of the unsavory activities that took place there (it was the site of one of the biggest bars in town at the time). A portion of the park housed a swimming pool that remained open until the 1930's. The entire structure was destroyed in a fire in 1931. All of the debris from the site, including glass, nails, tar from the roofing and every other conceivable piece of junk fell into the water.
I was told by a long time detectorist that if you find a piece of agglomerate with a good signal inside, don't discard it - break it open. Sure enough, I got a good 27 - 28 signal on my Nox, and it was in a chunk of black aggregate larger than the size of my fist smelling strongly of tar with glass and pieces of rock sticking out. This is the dirtiest stuff I have ever handled. It even smelled bad, and stained everything it came into contact with black. Heeding the advice, I broke the chunk open and caught the gleam of what appeared to be silver! Further efforts resulted in the extraction of what appeared to be a ring, seriously mangled and very thin. With work, I was able to restore the ring to a round shape and finally remove the crud on the inside. Amazingly, there was writing. It took some work to figure out, but finally deduced that I had found a "ring coin". I was able to make out "Republica De Panama, 1904" inside the band. Not sure of the original denomination, but I found images of the 3 possible coin options online to confirm the origin. This was a great find for me and one of those things that keep me coming back for more. Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• 20190814_180016.jpg
    20190814_180016.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 731
That's a great story and a wonderful find congratulations

Strick

That is a great story! Sweet find and good job putting in the work to retrieve and restore it!

Wow... A lot of work to "crack that nut" ! Hope you were wearing rubber gloves.
Reminded me of the guys around here who find coins sandwiched in "cookie" conglomerates in the salt water.

That's a great story and a wonderful find congratulations

Strick

Thank you.

Wow great story, post, and find! Congrats!

Appreciate your comments.

Nice find. Congrats.

HD

Thanks.

Congrats on your first coin ring...excellent find!

Thank you. It was a real surprise. Keeps me going.

That is a great story! Sweet find and good job putting in the work to retrieve and restore it!

Thank you. Didn't think I'd ever be pounding rocks to extract something, but you do what you have to.

That is a super cool find Gale! You recover some of the coolest items!

Thanks Paul. Still thing the 1911 Golden Potlach pin you found and gave to the property owner was pretty neat.

My only walking liberty came inside an iron chunk found with my minelab Sovereign!
Congrats on the old ring!

Thank you. Hoping maybe the next one I open will have a gold coin. The other guy I was detecting with found one that way.

Wow... A lot of work to "crack that nut" ! Hope you were wearing rubber gloves.
Reminded me of the guys around here who find coins sandwiched in "cookie" conglomerates in the salt water.

I was wearing gloves. They were blue when I started. When I finished, they were black!

That is really cool! Congratulations!

Thanks.

Nice recovery, congrats! Im sure theres more to be found there.

Back
Top Bottom