am I supposed to abandon this forum?

And what of the years of helpful posts here? Will FMDF become like an archive that we have to come back to to see older stuff while all the current discussion is on Liberty? I honestly don't get it. It's like if you own a restaurant and feel it needs some changes so you open another one with a new menu BUT suggest that people keep coming to the old one too...don't get it. Why not either fix up the original one OR have everybody move to the new one and then close the old one? Otherwise you've got half your customers in each one, wistfully looking at their friends in the other one down the street and everybody wondering what they're missing. Or the few who are wearing themselves running up and down the street between them...lunch at one, dinner at the other...;)

No, just the Classifieds are going there.

Not exactly... Everything Else is also being moved as well.

Not going to miss the classifieds so much, but going strictly to Metal Detecting posts, and everything not related over on the new site, seems a little harsh. I know there are abuses, lots of rules, hurt feelings occasionally, but there should be a little place to share interesting and amusing experiences, not related to the one thing we all share.

Kind of feels like an experiment, and we are the test subjects. We are being offered two choices, pick site A, pick site B, or pick both. Will most migrate to the new site, and abandon this one? Will the membership divide? Which will prosper, and which will fail? Will both sites continue to grow, and be used as intended?

It's not an easy task to find the right mix, or maintain the right balance. There will always be people who want more, and those looking to exploit what is available. Rules set, must be monitored and administrated, more rules, more work. The buy/sell/trade option was a good idea, we all upgrade and have equipment that will go unused. We all find things, and little idea what to do with, but might be just that something someone else is missing.

Unfortunately, it turned into a for-profit, flea market, with an exclusive client list, where a seller can get a glimpse of prospective buyers, before sealing the deal. A few got taken, where the should have had confidence that the seller was going to follow through responsibly, which lead to rants and warnings, which in most cases, was a good thing, since it brought such things to the attention of all, and quickly ended that particular scam, made people a little more cautious.

The coin roll hunting threads, aren't really metal detecting, so guess they would be moving to the new site as well. One bright thought to these changes. I understand, that weather sort of limits one's ability to get out and detect, and coin rolls are a nice way to continue to hunt treasure. It's just sort of annoying to see thread tittles about the worst banks on earth, because they don't want to pay and play, with boxes of coins, to support someones hobby for free, so they might find a few pieces of treasure. If I worked at bank, and it was a problem, I'd save the dumped coins, re-roll them, box them, save them for those individuals to re-search, every time. I'd know that eventually, they would notice that they are getting some of the same marked coins, or just get tired of not finding anything. Nobody minds supplying a few rolls occasionally, but volume interferes with the business that pays the bills. Some people think life is a free ride.

Haven't visited the new site, not even sure when or if. Only have so much free time. Will probably just stick to this one, seem like much of the less desirable threads will be over on that side of the web...

I'm sure glad that I'm not alone when I say this should remain as it is.
Hard enough to find time to commit to (1) one forum, never mind (2) two. Makes no sense to me. Keeping it simple is sometimes better than making things complicated. I shall remain here.
Just thought I'd share my .02 cents is all.

Well Im on several forums and not just MDing ones. So it wouldnt be much for me to try both.

Every thing that is here is there and much more. The other forum isn't just classifieds and everything else. It is a whole new forum that can replace this one. The main thing is they should migrate the helpful info even if it is just an archive.

Let's see what Patrick has to say.

Attachments

• fmdf.JPG
    fmdf.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 441
Arrgh

What!?
No classifieds!?
Why? The classifieds was great! I buy and sell all the time on the classifieds and never had a problem. :-(

It would be nice if you could use the same forum account as here, over there, with post count etc. How am I supposed to know who I can trust to buy from over there, when everyone looks like a new member with 1 post...

A better idea to limit the spam in classified forums is dont allow replies to posts, only allow the original poster to edit the original post, potential buyers use PM... and only allow posting one thread every 2 weeks or something. Problem solved.

I just went to the other forum not going to join. It looks about the same as any other forum. I know this forum has had a lot of problems and i quit posting because of some of the things going on here. But this forum is still home to me i will just ride it out and see what happens. Brian.

i'll just flip flop back and forth, i really like how this forum(friendly) has the profile page setup with profile messages, photo albums & a friends list.

I like the new forum with all the new features. The only thing I don't like is having to go back and forth between the two. All the new cool stuff is over there, but 99% of the people are doing the talking over here.
I wish they would just eventually phase this one out and just have one forum.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this one, but if we're gonna have all these cool features, why not just turn the new one into the Friendly forum, shut this one down, and be done with it?
I'm sure there's more to it, and there's probably a good reason behind it, but it would be awesome to have the new format, and all the members under one roof.

Yes! It's like being torn between two families:sadbye:

The lights are on, but..

I think it is absolutely incredible that some of you are actually angry - and or confused, over a new forum with different features. :?:

Let’s say you go into the restaurant and order your meal. It is very good and you come back over and over again. Then one day the owner says, “I just opened a new restaurant with a completely different menu, and since you are my good customer here is an invitation to go there free!” :shock:

What is your first reaction?

“I’m confused?”
“I don’t know what to do.”

Probably not.

Hello? You confused, annoyed and angry folks need to go live with my fourth wife for a week. :laughing: Seriously people.. :cool:

Being new to this forum I would not have a working knowledge of your past "problems". But as a moderator on other forums I can tell you there are problems with all of them. Likely exactly the same ones you are experiencing here.

Having no loyalties to either of these forums I will likely choose one or the other very soon. I see no point in having two. I'm sure it will all settle out in the end. From the few posts I have read in this thread it sounds as though this forum may be phasing itself out. If so there is little need, in my opinion, to drag out making the move.

Whether I see you here or there. HH :grin:

Guys, nobody is phasing out this forum, we are simply opening a new place with totally different goals in mind, aka more features, forums, features to experiment with. Rather then completely remodelling this place I thought why not have another. some people want simple, others want everything under the sun. If you like it here, stay here, if you like there better, fine.
Choice is good no?

I prefer it here but joined the other forum to give it a shot. I think once i navigate throuIts worth looking into.gh it more i'll probably like it equily or maybe better.

Will Coinmaster/Detecto be banned on both sites, or just here? The new site, seems like his dream site, if you ad a fountain pen sub-forum...

I would like to start by saying that new things aren't bad. = D That being said, people don't like change. It scares them.

If the new forum is geared for bringing new people to it, then both forums will do well. I'm a fairly new member around here, but what you have built is something pretty special. It takes both the members and admins/owners to do that.

I've been involved with forums that split and generally the result isn't good. Either 1 does well and the other fails or they both get ripped apart. This is normally the result of bickering between the 2 forums.

I would imagine you would have seperate mods/admins for each, but if you do not then it becomes really hard to control. Normally for the mods moreso than anyone else. To have 1 forum I imagine would garner more $$$ from the sponsors as well. Less hits on the website should mean less the sponsors would be willing to put out there, because less people are potentially viewing their ads. I can't imagine that is a desired effect.

Personally I'll be waiting to see which one does better in the long run and go to that forum. I have no emotional ties to this forum and wouldn't be heartbroken if it peters out and disappears. All in all I hope that both flourish, but most of the time it doesn't work out like that.

Carol and Vlad, I thank you for the forum that you have here and I thank the people that keep it under control. Rules are good. They help maintain order. Without rules, everything goes to hell. It's one of the best maintained forums I've been active in, but bear in mind;

"People don't like change."

I'll be going to whichever has the best ability to help me in my quest of finding shiny things buried anywhere between ground level and 12 inches.

Thanks,
Justin

This is probably one of the largest forums I have been a member of.

I don't understand the issue with the classifieds....but I do know I was initially attracted here due to them. Removing them doesn't quite make sense.

I have seen several large niche sites change their structure and totally loose their user base because of it..not saying it will happen here, but don't you think someone new to the forum likes the all-in-one approach.

I suppose I can see the reasoning...esp. if the sever load is too great or you want a "fresh" start. But, I think most people - including myself, dislike the idea of switching between 2 sites.

Very well said! Better one full house than two half-empty ones. I would suggest having one forum and keep it at that...or, if the intent is eventually to have everybody migrate to Liberty and shut this one down then just say that out loud. I have no problem switching to a new forum but I'm not going to run back and forth between two.

Well said Stew. I'm not going to post my finds on two separate forums. One forum sounds good. I'll just use the other one for classifieds.

Back
Top Bottom