From hero to zero in a day...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Great fun hunt yesterday with PanHeadDan and Dr. Detroit.
None of us have any inclination to join the local club but we are starting to grow our own so that is cool.
Me and the Dr. start out in a great old park on an old football field where the doc has found gold before.
Recent rain, the dirt has a lot of sand in it which made the digging really easy and a nice change compared to what I usually deal with around here.
We find some clad and then I run over this ring when I was using the Red Racer.
A 72 in the ground, 65 out, a Deus says tabs and we look at it and wonder.
No marks, looks like it was resized, shiny like silver, heavy for its size.
The Dr. thinks white gold, I am not so sure.
Could be white gold alloyed with silver but it is just a weird little thing.
Then Dan shows up and tests it with his AT Pro...he thinks white gold too.

We continue to hunt and eventually the doc finds a nice silver ring shaped like a belt with a buckle, marked 925 so no question.
He still says mine is the better find so I bask in the admiration.

We look at Dan and say "Well...what the heck man?"
He shrugs his shoulders and says he is trying.

We move to another area where there many neighborhoods knocked down so the sidewalks and curb strips are there but no dwellings.
We split up and hunt different areas and meet back in a bit before we leave.

I found some clad and an old wheat, the Dr. found clad but he has found other great things here before so more area to cover for all of us, Dan walks back to meet us and he was hunting curb strips and found a 62 Rosie so we all scored today.

They both look at me with shock and awe, not just because I am so good looking but because I found the best thing this hunt...gold.
I drink it all in.

I get home and get out the testing kit.
18k does not turn blue so not silver.
14k fades immediately.
10k stays for a few seconds but then dissolves the mark scratched on the testing stone.
I get my little file and hit the band and see the silver goes away and underneath it looks like copper.

I am...unhappy.

I get on my phone and send texts to both of them telling them both of this sad state of affairs.
I know it must have crushed them both when they read it and I suspect some tears fell...it is hard when your heros don't live up to your high expectations.

Still had a great time, we might get together and do this again later today.
I need to redeem myself, make them proud of me again because I hate disappointing my fans.
They made me what I am today, after all.

Attachments

• user10659_pic74604_1489928516.jpg
    user10659_pic74604_1489928516.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:
Well Buddy...I supersize with ya! There just so many junk amalgams and plated stuff out there, even fake stamped gold! Its a wonder we ever find the Noble metals in the first place! Its really hard sometimes to distinguish pedigree in field when you were doing everything right and the signal was pure and in the right ballpark...hopes up, then dashed! You are a married man so you get the drill by now? :laughing:

I'm at the point where I dont even do the 'scratch test' on the stone...I simply squirt acid right on the questionable item and even sort of get strange satisfaction when it blows up in a green smoky mess! I KNEW it! FAKER!

Consolation, if it WAS a White gold, you woulda found it! Great post D27! I got a tremendous giggle out of your misfortune this morning! Bruin has some hope! :laughing:

Hi D27,
!!!! happens. you know darn well, it could have been gold. You did have a good time with your friends. That is what it is all about. Having fun.
I went out a little this morning. Hit a tot lot. Got clad and a couple rings. I thought for sure the one was gold. Not a chance. It was junk. I did find a small .925 silver kids ring.
Maybe the next time you are out with the guys, You might find that gold..
I enjoy reading your post. You put good hummer in your stories. That makes it fun to read. Good luck my friend.. KEN

Tears of sympathy are rolling down my cheeks.

I just posted about a huge spoon I dug this weekend that is stamped "PANAMA SILVER"! Was very happy until I Googled Panama Silver. It's a mixture of nickel, copper and zinc. No silver at all.

Sumbeech!

Attachments

• IMG_1786.jpg
    IMG_1786.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 327
A hunt with friends and no one got skunked.
Sounds like a good day to me

You're still liking the racer?

Bummer, but still a ring AND (not so sure if this applies to you since you have tons of experience) a great learning experience at least for me. Every time I find something that's a little unusual I try to take away from it any clues so further my md education. So I'd say it was a good, if not great hunt with your new buddies.

A hunt with friends and no one got skunked.
Sounds like a good day to me

You're still liking the racer?

It's ok.
Gathering info on many hunts comparing it to my F70.
Some things it does is great, other things drive me crazy...but such is life.

I believe most problems I have were fixed on the Racer 2 and now the Impact is out which is supposed to be a combination of and maybe better than both with even more features.

Nokta/Makro is light on their feet and can change, improve and adapt pretty quickly which seems to be what companies need to do nowadays.

Yea that was a great time. I enjoyed myself....we need to do it again real soon.

The DR.......by the way Panheaddan found a nice silver yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom