MAJOR Bucket Lister - 1796 Liberty Cap!

METALMANIAC-NY

Elite Member
Havent been out much this summer...but my mantra of quality over quantity is paying off. Humidity was bearable the other day...had the itch to swing. Hit a spot only a few miles from my house along a reservoir. Soil seemed disturbed over the years and I was digging a lot of cans and foil....finally found an area where old beaver tails and shotgun shells were popping. My first good target was a copper Thimble....and a few feet a way a really cool dandy button....good signs I thought!!
Place was very junky and some EMI.....sorting through the noise I eventually lock in on a sweet 90-91 on the DEUS. About 8 inches down I grab a handful of dirt and signal is in my hand....using the PP I push the dirt away and see a small piece of nail....PP was still going off and I see the outline of a COPPER!! Thought it was a Draped Bust at first....took some pics then looked at them...1796 Liberty CAP Large Cent! Full readable date right out of the hole!! Only 109,00 minted... My first and oldest US coin! Thanks for looking HH!

Attachments

• BUTTON CAP SPOT.jpg
    BUTTON CAP SPOT.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 425
  • 1796 CAP HOLE 2.jpg
    1796 CAP HOLE 2.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 433
  • 1796 CAP  HOLE1.jpg
    1796 CAP HOLE1.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 415
  • 1796 CAP FRONT.jpg
    1796 CAP FRONT.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 430
  • 1796 CLOSE.jpg
    1796 CLOSE.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
:shock:WOW:shock:

That coin is in real good shape too! Ultragrats!

Heres what the NGC says about it:

"Eleven die marriages are known of the 1796 Liberty Cap Cents. None are truly common, with S-91 (photos) being among the ones more often seen. Eight of the remaining varieties are scarce, with S-85, S-86 and S-90 being notably rare."

I hope you found one of the scarce die marriages.

That is sickening....SICKENING I say! There, I said it before Tom does.:lol:
What a great find, stuff like that is just sitting in the ground! I have to pinch myself every time I go hunting to make sure it’s all real. Ok, not EVERY time, but you get the idea! EVERY target has the possibility of being something ridiculous, and THAT sir is ridiculous! It’ll be hard to top that any time soon...:yes:

That is sickening....SICKENING I say! There, I said it befhre Tom does.:lol:
What a great find, stuff like that is just sitting in the ground! I have to pinch myself every time I go hunting to make sure it’s all real. Ok, not EVERY time, but you get the idea! EVERY target has the possibility of being something ridiculous, and THAT sir is ridiculous! It’ll be hard to top that any time soon...:yes:

I hear ya!! When I started back up with this endeavor in 2015 I was hoping to have some fun digging IH's and Mercs like I did when I was a kid....which I did and I was thrilled. Once I started researching and getting permissions...Colonial fever has taken over and I am BLOWN AWAY at the results and luck I have been blessed with. Plus living in the center of Colonial America doesn't hurt.....HH!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom