Old Coins

AJinNJ

Forum Supporter
I'm not a fan of digging clad. Not a coinshooter.

With that being said

I've heard depth at times is no sign of age, however when I'm seeing things up in clad ranges at .5-2 inches I'm going to assume it's safe to say it's clad and to skip it.

Any tips on focusing on older coins is appreciated.

Machine is a DFX

Thanks

Great machine.

If you are looking to dig deeper then listen for the weaker signals. Sometimes they are just a whisper so you need to go slow and stay focused. You'll be chasing many signals that are deep trash and sometimes just hot rocks. Keep your sensitivity as high as you can but at a point that provides a stable threshold. Depth isn't a good gauge of age so make sure you keep an eye on hits that are possibly shallow silver.

HH

G.

That's a hard one.....

ID numbers are just kind of guidelines and you should use them to determine when to dig. I've had rings hit like coins and coins like rings and canslaw like silver. My son-in-law got a quarter VDI at two inches and it was a large cent. I like to only dig old stuff too, but if you get a good steady tone, I'd dig. Someone has on their profile that the best discrimination is your eye's.
John

Please don't think silver coins are always going to be deeper than your clad, because it just isn't necessarily so. The majority of my silver coins finds (at least the dimes) have been found between 1 and 4" deep, I've often found clad deeper than that...

I dig a lot of shallow clad, but so far have never found a silver coin at a depth less than 5 inches. I have found silver rings at shallow depths, of course. My hunting areas are parks that have been heavily hunted, so that may be a factor.

Right, however when I get solid VDI's in the clad range at a park (sports field). And it's showing a depth of 1/2 inch or 1.5 inches. Woudn't it be safe to say it's 99% likely that it's clad. I could see this not being the case in a virgin site.....with the higher likelihood of it of it possibly being something older..

seems crazy not to dig it all....at least save the clad up and donate it to charity. My oldest coin to date was found at 3 inches. Silver 1881 Spanish 50 Centimos coin. I just thought it was another dime.

Saw a thread last night where a guy got a 1904 Indian Head on top of the ground.

You just never know what lies beneath....dig it all!

I guess that would be an interesting poll

How many dug very shallow old coins at a park/public place. (Very shallow being less than 3 inches)

If its a virgin site shallow old coin are very possible.
I have a park that has been hit hard over the years and when things
get slow we use it as a fall back.
We have a few oldies from there but nothing less than 5 or 6 inches.
Is it possable ,sure mabye masked or just missed but the oldies
a Buff ,Merc 2 Large cents and a few others have all been at depth.

Good advice from everyone. But not everyone including the OP may be interested in digging half rotted Zincolns. What a pain.

I don't care to dig every possible hit in the ground thinking it might be a SLQ. Since I am not able to hunt often I make the most of my time. Maybe the OP is the same. I will dig up clad quarters, but the rest can rot. I'm out for the oldies and don't care to be digging a hole every minute - especially since the ground in Okieland is baked clay. If you know you're machine you know what's it's telling you. I know when it's a silver dime at an inch as well as when it's 8 inches depth. The same goes for coppers. I know when my Explorer is telling me there is a wheatie under the coil.

HH!

Exactly Bentfork. I am the same way.

Good advice from everyone. But not everyone including the OP may be interested in digging half rotted Zincolns. What a pain.

I don't care to dig every possible hit in the ground thinking it might be a SLQ. Since I am not able to hunt often I make the most of my time. Maybe the OP is the same. I will dig up clad quarters, but the rest can rot. I'm out for the oldies and don't care to be digging a hole every minute - especially since the ground in Okieland is baked clay.

All my silver and old coins come 6 and more inches down at public parks and schools but on private property I dig them all in coin mode. HH Mike

Please don't think silver coins are always going to be deeper than your clad, because it just isn't necessarily so. The majority of my silver coins finds (at least the dimes) have been found between 1 and 4" deep, I've often found clad deeper than that...

+1 to this.

For instance, just this weekend. I found a 43 war nickel at 1" and a 52 rosie at 2". The newer clad stuff was pretty much all 4 to 6" deep.

Very odd.

G2M

Me and a friend went to my land that has 4 old home sites on it. We found about 13 wheat pennies, barber dime, 1904 indian head penny and a few other coins. But the newest coin was 1934 I believe. And all that money was found between 1"-4"

If I am on an old homesite, I dig everything....but if I am at the high school, I skip everything but quarter signals. If it says 83 on my XLT, 99% of the time its a quarter

When I go to the high school, I am only there for about 2 hrs and usually find between 8.00 and 20.00 worth of quarters...I get so many penny/dime signals that I just skip them or I would be there all night. The quarters I dig are anywhere between 0-7"..I found a 2009 quarter at 7"...strange

Just really depends on my mood...if I just wanna go find something I will go to the school or soccer field..I will only dig quarters...if I want to find old stuff, I go to old homesites and if it beeps, its dug :lol:

I found a silver Rosie at 3", and just last week I found a 104 year old Indian head penny also at about 3".

I am a coinshooter, everything shooter really.
I will dig almost everything from just below foil on up and have found plenty of very cool zinc items, clad, wheaties, a few silver coins and gold rings, large and small...and all within 1-4 inches.

I found a 1917 Standing Liberty Quarter at no more than 2 inches down at a soccer field. Hit as a 81 in my F2 and I was sure it was going to be another clad quarter.

At the entrance to this site I found a 1938 Washington Quarter at 2 inches as well.

i understand not wanting to dig all coin signals...however its money...personally to me it seems foolish not to dig all coins as they all add up and in todays economy that meens something...also clad is funds for batteries and gear!!! not to mention to earn it all you have to do is play in the dirt:snapoutofit:

Back
Top Bottom