1922 Peace Dollar

MD'ing in MD

Hey folks I have a value question , my Mother in law recently fould some old coins my Father in law had, a real nice lg cent some slq's alot of merc's a really worn barber dollar and 3 Peace dollars. Two 1922's and a 1923. One of the 22's is in almost non cerc shape, she needs cash so I called a coin place here in MD and inquired about certifying it for possible sale, he told me it's value was only around 40 dollars and it would cost 35 to certify. I looked on ebay of course and they seem to go for way more then that, same with the cointrackers site. what does everyone think? I don't have any pic's right now, but can get them if it would help. The 40 dollars he quoted really sounds close to melt weight to me. I am not sure what direction to send her in, I would be grateful for any advice. thanks !

If you could post a good pic of it, someone could give you an idea of the value. No offense intended, but "almost non-circ." could include a wide range of possibilities.

I agree, what we decided to do is get a appraisal from a coin collector/dealer. to see what he puts the value at then go from there. Thanks for the input !

You don't want to get fleeced, there are some very shady coin dealers out there who are happy to buy rare coins from the unknowing for next to nothing. When it comes to Peace dollars it is all about condition, other coins have a ton of factors. If any of these things are in nearly flawless condition regardless of age they could be worth a lot of money. http://www.pcgs.com/Prices/PriceGuideDetail.aspx?MS=1&PR=1&SP=1&c=26&title=Peace+Dollar

If you want to, you could get a lot of good advice here if you post some quality pics. Use a digital camera with macro mode, or whatever close up mode icon it has, sometimes it is just a little picture of a flower on the mode selector to get sharp close up photos. The trick to good macro photography is to have enough soft light to eliminate shadows without washing out the contrast, and to support the camera in a way that is perfectly still. The tiniest details could be the difference between almost worthless and thousands of dollars.

good luck

Thanks Everyone for the great advice ! She got a good honest appraisal and accepted his offer, was hoping to buy the LG cent from her first but called her too late sigh,but I will find one sooner or later ). KT you are correct as usual most of her coins were flawed enough to just go as melt, and after research on the Peace Dollar 1922 just happened to be the year the Gov't flooded the market with 55 million of them lol. So it all worked out and I got her to start checking pocket change for Silver now ;)

To calculate the melt value of a silver coin, multiply the current value of an ounce of silver by the weight in ounces of silver in the coin. To find the current value of silver, you can go to Kitco's Silver Page: http://www.kitcosilver.com.

The weight in ounces of common silver coins is:

.05626 ounces in Wartime Jefferson nickels (1942-1945)
.07234 ounces in Barber, Mercury & pre-1965 Roosevelt dimes (1892-1964)
.18084 ounces in Barber, Standing Liberty and pre-1965 Washington quarters (1892-1964)
.36169 ounces in Barber, Liberty Walking, Franklin and 1964 Kennedy half dollars (1892-1964)
.14790 ounces in 1965-1970 silver clad Kennedy half dollars (1965-1970)
.77344 ounces in Liberty Seated dollars (1840-1873)
.78740 ounces in Trade dollars (1873-1885)
.77344 ounces in Morgan and Peace dollars (1878-1928, 1934, 1935)
.31610 ounces in Eisenhower silver clad dollars (1971-1976 San Francisco (S) mint only)

For example: the melt value of a Peace dollar is $27.42 per ounce of silver x .77344 ounces = $21.21

NOTES: Peace dollars were not minted between 1929 and 1933. Not all 1942 Jefferson Nickels are silver; only nickels with a P or S mint mark above Monticello on the reverse are silver. Not all S mint Eisenhower dollars are silver clad.

To "estimate" the numismatic (collector) value of a coin, I use "The Official Red Book" by R.S. Yeoman for retail coin values (what you pay a dealer to buy coins) and "The Official Blue Book" by R.S. Yeoman for wholesale coin values (what a dealer pays you to buy your coins). Dealers use a weekly publication called the "Grey Sheet" to establish their prices.

As someone mentioned, post some photos of the coins and we can give you a better idea of their value.

Back
Top Bottom