• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

PSA- Security Cams on the cheap ($20)

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Don't ask me questions, 'cause I don't know :laughing: Haven't purchased yet, but probably order a couple (2) soon, along with a couple (2) mini sd cards ($70/del'd for all).

Ran across a discussion on another forum a few weeks ago, and they were spoken of pretty highly (for $20 cams). Some even enclosed them, and used them outside.....which is my plan. I have a drunk tossing beer cans in the ditch, just out of view of my other cams, so I'm gonna build a birdhouse for a fence post wit the cam inside. :D

https://www.wyzecam.com/wyze-cam/

(FYI- No ties with Wyze)

I have a drunk tossing beer cans in the ditch, just out of view of my other cams, so I'm gonna build a birdhouse for a fence post wit the cam inside. :D

Around here there are a lot of people who collect and sell aluminum cans. They would love to find a spot like that.

Last edited:
Ariynd here there are a lot of people who collect and sell aluminum cans. They would love to find a spot like that.

I'd agree usually. Here, they're too lazy to even do that. Funny part is, they guy doing it is about 45, lives with his mommy 1/2 block down the road, and tosses the cans in the ditch to hide his drinking from her.

I'm considering making a big sign with his name, and an arrow pointing down to his cans. :D

I'd agree usually. Here, they're too lazy to even do that. Funny part is, they guy doing it is about 45, lives with his mommy 1/2 block down the road, and tosses the cans in the ditch to hide his drinking from her.

I'm considering making a big sign with his name, and an arrow pointing down to his cans. :D

…..or put them all in a trash bag and set it by her front door with a note to his mom on it saying you thought he'd like these back :laughing:

Slapped together 4 "birdhouses" today, made from scrap fence boards from the privacy fence I'd moved last week. Makes them roughly 6" square, and 10" tall.

I have signs stating I have security cameras, and put up 1 "empty" birdhouse on the corner post closest to the beer can collection area. I've no doubt Otis of Mayberry will be closely inspecting it as he drives by tomorrow. It will stick-out, especially with the entry hole (for a bird) pointing in such an odd direction. He may be smart-enough to think "derp, 'sup wif dat"?We'll see.

Got cam today. I'm technologically "challenged", and probably just "assumed", but didn't read enough.

What I'm getting at, is I had to download an app on my 'puter, since I don't have a phone with internet, in order to even set-up the cam. I had to connect it to my wireless router, meaning giving it my router password. I'm probably silly, but don't like doing stuff like this.

I can use it "offline", but only recording to the SD card, which was all I wanted to do anyway, just wasn't aware of having to give up info/set-up to do so. Seems intrusive to me. Should just slap in the card, plug it in, and it records.

Anyway, since I'll be using it "offline", I'll just have to plug it in to my computer to view, which was how I assumed it to be. I did view through it while connected, and seems to be pretty clear footage.

So, other than taking it out and mounting it (waiting for storm this evening to pass), it's ready to go.

It comes with a metal disc, since the cam base is magnetic. I figured the double-sided tape wouldn't stick to the wood, so I drilled it and used a screw.

PB040003.jpg

PB040001.jpg

PB040002.jpg

I took a black marker and darkened the front of the camera, since white kind of makes the whole stealth thing moot :lol:

PB040004.jpg

Good work Gauntlet !!!! ......Definitely looks very sturdy !!!!

…...but I wonder how much footage you'll get of birds trying to move in ? :lol:

…...let us know if your first footage looks like this :shock: :lol:
security_cam_bird.jpg

Last edited:
Good work Gauntlet !!!! ......Definitely looks very sturdy !!!!

…...but I wonder how much footage you'll get of birds trying to move in ? :lol:

…...let us know if your first footage looks like this :shock: :lol:
View attachment 428347

Exactly the reason I didn't put a perch on the front ;)

(see, I'm a real fart-smeller)

If the whole MD thing doesn't work out for you, you've got a future in birdhouse building.

BCD

I've been told baskets....baskets are in my future :p

I just saw an add the other night for those cheap "COP CAMS"
20 bucks or so ?
then yesterday I saw a review on utube.......... JUNK don't buy them !

Back
Top Bottom