small ornate oval silver buckle found in confed camp

ncwayne

Will appreciate any help with identifying the time period and origin of this small silver buckle and what its use may have been. It's been suggested it might have been a keepsake carried by a confed soldier, possibly even dating back to the Rev war?
Note the "F" maker's mark on the back of it. The first picture is for size reference, with the buckle being at the upper right in the picture. The knob to the left is of a size found on a desk or cabinet. The I buttons are coat size.

The buckle measures just over 1 inch long and three-fourths of an inch wide.

Attachments

• P1050697.jpg
    P1050697.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 577
  • P1050723.jpg
    P1050723.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 605
  • P1050724.jpg
    P1050724.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 604
Thanks, del and NectarDetector for the ID! Funny, I had sort of imagined a hook device going into the slots in the piece I found, but had no idea this had ever been used on a shoe. Except now, I do remember the old black rubber galoshes of the 50s and 60s that had the long multi-slotted devices on one side and the lever operated hooking devices on the other side.

So, now I know what the silver buckle is. Thanks for that. Still curious, though, as to how it came to be in the confed camp. Did it preexist the camp or was it carried by one of the soldiers? Any idea if this type of footwear saw use during the Rev war? Is my find British? or possibly American made?

IMO this is not a mass production piece but something hand made,
It could well be something else , because of the "F" which could have been
the name of the owner. It looks really old and 19th century.
The rand ornaments are just like a brass piece I found in South America some
years ago .I could post a pic of it if needed..
Great Finds ! :aok:

Back
Top Bottom