Buying first detector! Need advice

Bradley82

Hello everyone, I'm thinking of buying a detector for me and my small son to enjoy together. I want a good quality one and I honestly don't know very much about them, just remember my dad having one when I was a kid and I loved it, (think it was a red Barron or something like that) So what would you guys recommend for a price range around $300 and can I even get a good one for that?Also I live in Tennessee and will be using it mostly here if that matters. Thanks

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

One question that will help is will the detector be used only on dry land or also in wet areas like beaches or rivers ?

You might not get a "top of the line" model for that price, but you can still get a detector worth getting.

Hello everyone, I'm thinking of buying a detector for me and my small son to enjoy together. I want a good quality one and I honestly don't know very much about them, just remember my dad having one when I was a kid and I loved it, (think it was a red Barron or something like that) So what would you guys recommend for a price range around $300 and can I even get a good one for that?Also I live in Tennessee and will be using it mostly here if that matters. Thanks

Welcome!!

Check out our Forum Sponsors, I suggest a Ace 400 or 300.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66

Hey thanks for the reply, I will be using it on dry land only. I am considering a Garrett 300, 350, or fisher f2. Are there any pros or cons of these? I'm open to others also just wanting to get one that will be relatively easy to use. Thanks a lot

Hey thanks for the reply, I will be using it on dry land only. I am considering a Garrett 300, 350, or fisher f2. Are there any pros or cons of these? I'm open to others also just wanting to get one that will be relatively easy to use. Thanks a lot
The 350 doesn't have Target ID numbers and comes with a larger DD coil that can be too big for general hunting. The F2 has been out for a long time although a proven performer. The 300 is a newer release built on an the solid Ace platform that now has Target ID numbers and a better coin/jewelry hunting sized and type (Concentric) coil for rejecting bottle caps better. I choose the 300 out of your choices. Don't forget a Garrett Pinpointer as well. This will keep you from digging big nasty holes and make detecting more fun and efficient.

No bigger fan of the F2 than me here, $200 will leave you wiggle room to get a few other items like a decent digger and maybe a nice pinpointer.
A small sniper coil, an accessory I can't do without on any of my detectors because I hunt in some very trashy sites is really cheap for this one.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=53930

Still, that Land Ranger Pro has way more features including ground balance which might be very helpful...in many parts of Tennessee the dirt can be, difficult.
A lot of bang for the buck on this one...knowing what I know now if I was entering the hobby this is one I would definitely consider.

The F22 is an upgraded version of the F2, the F44 is a bit over your price point but also loaded with features that most love to have.
Both are weatherproof, nice to have if you get caught in a heavy rain.

The new Aces are better than the old versions but the very helpful VDI numbers on the screen are small which may or may not matter to you.

The Euro Tek Pro is another one that has lots of fans and performs well.

5 years ago there weren't many choices for really good entry level models with a lot of features but that has now changed.
Choices can be a bit more confusing now but better to spend time at the beginning learning about the pros and cons of these things, as you are doing now, than just throwing a dart to pick out just any one.

Don't forget a pinpointer is a must and don't go cheap. I got a friend that bought a cheap bounty hunter pinpointer and he gets frustrated all the time when we detect.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

+3 on the pin pointer. If you are new you might not appreciate the importance (and the old school guys didn't use them) but I can tell you if my pin pointer was broke down I probably wouldn't go out with out it. Garrett Pro pointer and an F2 is what I started with and it is great combo. The Ace platform would work great too.

I've used a f2 for a year before I bought a CTX 3030 and I still like to use because of ease of use and it does the job well. I've never used an ace series detector but alot of people like them

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

It wouldn't hurt to check around on craigslist. That's the only reason I got my AT Pro. I had my F2 and was shopping for my brother in law. Came a cross a generic add that just said "metal detector" and a price. I called the guy and it was an AT Pro less then a year old. The guy had traded it for a gun and didn't have much in the gun so he sold the MD as he didn't like it. Needless to say the price was so good I didn't tell my BIL about it.:cool:

Best part was there was a slight crack in the plastic of the coil. I called Garret to see if they could test it to see if it was still waterproof. They said it didn't matter since it was under warranty and sent me a brand new coil no questions asked.

Grab a used Tesoro Vaquero , you can set it as a turn on and go for your son , disc out all the junk . But for you with the way it can be super tuned you will be able to compete with the big dogs . Very compact and menuverable . Used ones are usualaly found for 3 or 350.00 No brainer to me . I will never give mine up no mater what other machine I have in my stable . My son is an adult and I can. Ot talk him into a minelab . He sticks with his V and finds so much that so many before him have missed

Welcome from north wrst Tennessee. As has been suggested, check with the sponsors here. If there is a dealer near you, you might get lucky and find a used one at a decent price. It never hurts to check pawn shops, but buyer beware. The few that I have seen in the pawn shops around here have been older models and the shop owners/ workers couldn't tell me anything about them. What ever you choose, have fun, enjoy the hunt.

Where do you live ? I would buy a pinpointer now rather than later, it will cut recovery time in half. And don't try useing gardening shovels they won't cut it I've bent and broke ones one I started. Also gloves are a must and boots are recommended.

I bought the ATPRO and im glad i did. Later i didnt have buyers remorse and thinking i should have bought the better one because i really got into the hobby.. If youre unsure about the hobby go cheap

Back
Top Bottom