• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Property line questions, township land?

I'm across the river and my county prohibits it. We have a ton of open space around here I'm not allowed to detect on. Pisses me off.

Serious ? Just "county" land ? Ie.: and not city, state, and federal ? Or ALL land within the county (of any public entity) ? Assuming it's just county land, ok .... I'll bite: How did you find out you're not allowed to detect on it ?

My god go and metal detect. I promise you that if you end up in Sing-Sing I will visit you.

My god go and metal detect. I promise you that if you end up in Sing-Sing I will visit you.

Yes. I'm sure a simple research of prison bed population statistic will show that a lot of beds in prisons like Sing sing are occupied by md'rs who detected outside a property line boundary . No doubt :roll:

Yes. I'm sure a simple research of prison bed population statistic will show that a lot of beds in prisons like Sing sing are occupied by md'rs who detected outside a property line boundary . No doubt :roll:

Stranger things have happened!

Stranger things have happened!

Yes. And those are known as "flukes".

A herd of Buffalo *could* stampede your house tomorrow. But you're not likely to worry about the possibility. Nor would you consider the need to buy buffalo stampede insurance. Even though it *could* happen.

A herd of Buffalo *could* stampede your house tomorrow. But you're not likely to worry about the possibility. Nor would you consider the need to buy buffalo stampede insurance. Even though it *could* happen.
Pssst... that was sarcasm

I have so many questions! I wonder if there is established Prison gangs that recruit incarcerated Detectorists? Do they shuffle around in the yard looking down at the dirt instead of lifting weights? We do speak our own language that would confuse the guards...so that would help right?.

"Fatty be chip kickin for clad"..(Cell shakedown coming) "Drop sense mutherhubbard!" (Give me your tatertots) Where do trespassing Detectorists rank on the general populace pecking order? Would we be respected like the embezzelers or ridiculed like the shop lifters? Do we get our own wing? Would 'Kellyco' visit us on Conjugation days?

Would a fellow have to smuggle in batteries up their tailpipe? If so, better have a AA rig right? A stack of 4 should be no problem...Certainly not a Minelab huh? Worse yet a Deus since the batteries are inside the coil!:laughing:

I bet a 9v might short out and spark up a spastic colon like when you stick one on your tongue? Can somebody give this a try and report back? (I dont have any 9v rigs around here or I would give it a go for science)...Talk about Jail House Rock! "The whole rhythm section was the Minelab gang"...

I guess the best thing to say if it ever comes to it and somebody asks, "What are you in here for boy?" Is to say... "I stabbed a sweet old Walker in the park, gouged a Barber right on a downtown curbstrip, wiped out a totter one Sunday morning behind a school, and nailed a nice Indian Fatty out in the woods one day"?:laughing:

Yeah, that would do it! Big respect! It would be a bad deal to have a Tesoro Compadre for a cellie though...damn guy always beeping and burping about nothing! :laughing:
Mud

For those who would rather not click...

Attachments

• Montco Regs.jpg
    Montco Regs.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 87
To further pad my post count... er... um... To further answer your question, Tom, State Parks around here are good to go, just have to email the park manager to get written permission (and special instructions because they don't seem to follow the digging tool rules (So far, they have both been more lenient than the written rules)). The State Game Lands, which are plentiful and often boarder the State Parks, are off limits. The only Federal land around here is National Parks, so I'm thinking that's probably a no as well. The county next door allows it (for a $10 permit fee)... But you have to be a resident of that county to get one:mad:

How do you know I don't own a herd of buffalo in my back yard? You're merely assuming that it couldn't happen. You don't know me!

I like how "Alcohol Use" was #1 prohibited activity...Especially when we are the ones who find the evidentiary screwoffs of common and prolific drinking in all the parks we hunt?...Nobody other than US seems to give a damn about the rules, not the dog walkers, drinkers, dopers, golfers, bike riders, litterbugs and arsonists?...

Yet for some reason WE are not allowed to do as we wish based upon some notion of 'ruining the reputation' of the Sport and Must ask permission?? Swinger Please!:laughing:

FWIW, In all honesty I once picked a booger as large and furry as a Yellowstone bull buffalo, it was after a day of insulating an attic with that spray in newspaper shreddings...Nobody saw me though, not even when I ate it...So I really never did, but I might have...:laughing:
Mud

Here's the mistake you're making: This only applies to county parks. Not any other form of govt. (state, federal, city, etc...) or private land. Heck, it doesn't even apply to other forms of county land either. And not all county administered land is, county PARK land. Other types county land is road right of way, eminent domains, etc....

This is a common mistake, for example, when/if someone reads something "dire" on the FMDAC's state-by-state list. They think that applies to the "whole state". But it doesn't. Only their state parks . So too, in this case, does what your citing only apply to certain parks which happen to be county run. Not other parks, schools, beaches, land, etc...

I like how "Alcohol Use" was #1 prohibited activity.......

Yes. And I bet no one ever drank alcohol in a county park there !

Hey mud, how much you wanna bet that this md'ing thing is even in that particular county park's rules, because someone, way-back-when , went asking "can I metal detect here?". The question gets bandied back and forth between desks. And someone decides "let's invent a rule" to address this "pressing issue".

To further pad my post count... er... um... To further answer your question, Tom, State Parks around here are good to go, just have to email the park manager to get written permission (and special instructions because they don't seem to follow the digging tool rules (So far, they have both been more lenient than the written rules)). The State Game Lands, which are plentiful and often boarder the State Parks, are off limits. The only Federal land around here is National Parks, so I'm thinking that's probably a no as well. The county next door allows it (for a $10 permit fee)... But you have to be a resident of that county to get one:mad:

Ace-400, I won't go into the fed and "game land" stuff you allude to for PA. But for PA state parks, .... I just reviewed the FMDAC citation for PA. Click on your state on that list. And .... the reading appears as you have cited here: That you must ask and get their location-by-location say-so. Right ?

Ok, here's a challenge for you: Above that text seen on that FMDAC list: click on the link you'll see above . That will take you straight to the actual PA state park's website, rules, laws, etc.... And navigating that, you should be able to find the actual rules for their state parks. Eg.: dogs on leash, no fireworks, permits available, cost of camping sites, etc... Right ?

Ok, now study that. And see if you actually find anything there that truly says "md'ing by permission at each kiosk you come to " type conclusion. There should be a key-word search function there, so you can try variations of "metal" + "detectors" etc....

The reason I say this, is that the "commentary" that you read, is someone answering someone else's inquiry. Ie.: whoever's compiling that FMDAC list sends out 50 letters to each state asking "what are the rules regarding md'ing". Someone answers back , taking the "safe answer" route, and says "inquire at each kiosk" type answer. But when reading their actual state park rules, ... NO WHERE does it actually say that.

Perhaps for PA it does. But just saying, don't confuse "commentary" with actual laws/rules.

I should have known better Nectar. Because you are the voice of logic here afterall ! :lol:

Mud, I fell over laughing and spilt my coffee reading that post ! :laughing:

:lol:And that is well known! Hence why I have been here close to 7 years, otherwise they woulda ran me off by now wouldn't they!:laughing::lol:

Here's the mistake you're making: This only applies to county parks. Not any other form of govt. (state, federal, city, etc...) or private land. Heck, it doesn't even apply to other forms of county land either. And not all county administered land is, county PARK land. Other types county land is road right of way, eminent domains, etc....

This is a common mistake, for example, when/if someone reads something "dire" on the FMDAC's state-by-state list. They think that applies to the "whole state". But it doesn't. Only their state parks . So too, in this case, does what your citing only apply to certain parks which happen to be county run. Not other parks, schools, beaches, land, etc...
No offense Tom, but I wasn't making any mistakes at all.
I was referring to the county run parks. Made it pretty clear I've been MDing (with written permission) in the state parks within Montgomery county. I have also been hitting the municipal parks, except for the ones in townships that also have prohibitions in place, of which there are many. Also, if you read any of the link or even looked at the photo, you would realize that the prohibition does indeed extend beyond the county parks to other county owned/maintained properties.
When I do make mistakes, they tend to be uncommon.

Back
Top Bottom