• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Great hand / digging shovel

Splix76

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W3OTQLU

I picked up this shovel last week to replace a shovel that broke on me while out putting coil to soil. This shovel is sharp edged and really helps dig and replace clean plugs.

I recommend this shovel to anyone seeking a better hand digging tool for plugs in parks.

Last edited:
I have been using Hori-Hori knives since I began detecting around forty years ago. They were first sold as 3-in-1 knives. I have abused them that would destroy other hand diggers. I have actually pounded them into rock hard clay. (Try that with your Lesche) I retired my first after about thirty years because I didn't want to take the chance of losing it. It was getting a little worn anyway as you can see in the picture. Both were the same size when new. I haven't broken one yet.
Diggers2.jpg

Yeah the full tang is pretty sweet, i have a sun Joe and you will never break it.

Picked up an M6 the other day to finally get back into the dirt (for the 3rd time:roll:). I've always used a Lesche, but the testimony of you guys made me decide to give the Hori Hori a shot. Ordered the Sensei version and am looking forward to trying it out. If I hate it, which one of you is sending me a Lesche to replace it? :laughing:

Already bought the Lesche, so I'm "stuck" with that for now.

I admit, I'm not impressed with it. It's not bad, but I don't use it to cut plugs, just help me cut through dirt clods while pinpointing. I use my Sampson shovel to cut the plugs.

But that Hori looks like it'll be great for cutting plugs.

Along those same lines, check out a Nisaku MIYAMATOU MOKUETSUBATSUKI.
The point is a bit sharper than the hori hori. It's by far the best tool I've used when finer work is needed and it's cheaper than a lesche.

How do these compare to whites hand digger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like my whites hand digger but I might be using it different.
Mine has very sharp notches on both sides. Instead of pulling it our each time I move it back in forth from side to side hen move bout three inches again and do it again all the way around.or sometimes I aggressively do a saw motion around in a circle but you better have strong wrist.
Doug

I use the White’s hand digger and the Leonard soil knife. If I know I’m working in deep soil, such as a flood plain or an ag field, I use the White’s (or a shovel). The combination I like to use in a manicured lawn or park is the Leonard soil knife with a plastic prospector scoop. I cut the plug then use the soil knife to loosen the soil and scoop it out and wave it in front of the coil. Keeping as much soil in the scoop makes putting it back in the hole easier and the plug cut almost undetectable. I have a pointer, but this season it’s acting really goofy and more trouble than it’s worth.

JP

Back
Top Bottom